A. G. Russell Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
MITCH RAPP

Re: A. G. Russell Knives

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) I think LC, made his position very clear!
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
tc3500

Post by tc3500 »

I was ready to move on from this site also after I felt dis-respected by an AAPK moderator.
I edited my posts so that geemuzzik could calm down and told Bryan to delete me. I had an
unfinished deal with JR and stayed on a couple days to finish it, then I was outta here.
I decided to hang out in chat a few times and 'listen' for the general attitude of this site.
I was pleasantly surprised by the welcoming attitude and willingness to help others that seemed
to exist in the chat area to a larger extent than on the forum. People on the forums are also
helpful, but some snarker always seems to come along and stir chit, then the AAPK mods seem
to over react anf throw 'freedom of speech' out the window. I understand that they are in a
tough spot, but they asked to be, or accepted that job at least. I like that they want this site
to be 'the friendliest knife site.........', but please dont do it at the expense of losing members.
Sometimes people need to get stuff out or express an opinion that we may not agree with. We
should respect that more, maybe even let someone have a bad day without running them off.
I am not saying that LC had a bad day, just a general statement.

LC - please reconsider your membership. The guys in chat are GREAT, maybe we will see you there.

Orvet, Did you mean to say 'shut up or get the fock out' ?? LOL

1-Say nothing. We all have our own opinions on most things in life. This is fine. We are free to hold any opinion we want. It does not mean you are free to regurgitate your vitriol on anyone who dares to hold a different opinion.
2-Feel free to join another forum that shares your views and will tolerate your attitude. There is probably one somewhere if you look hard.
DRM60

Post by DRM60 »

well thats a shame. LC is a wealth of knowledge. yes, we all have opinions and we should be free to share them here. some may be more forceful or inventive in the way they do it. accept it and move on. the same way we are being asked to respond to the china knife issue. i don't like it, don't want it and ain't gonna buy it. i accept that some will and i move on. to start throwing weight around is a little over the top. admonish if necessary then move on.

I'm over at that other place as well. ArkieNBenton.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I believe LC was correct in posting the Bill of Rights. In my humble opinion everyone needs to read it occasionally, some more than others. By the way, most know were to find me posting also.
God bless,
Greg

Life is God's Gift to us
What We Do With Our Life
Is Our Gift To God
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Deleted
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
tc3500

Post by tc3500 »

Shelby Cobra collectors probably dont respect VW collectors either.
But if thier hobby is fulfilling to them and they want to share it,
whats wrong with that? I have seen alot of cheap, shiny VW's at car
shows, but never once thought they shouldn't be allowed to participate.
As far as the whole 'China made' section, I think we need one, at least
until this site becomes AAAPK.com as one member suggested weeks ago, the
extra 'A' for American of course.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I don't exactly know what part of this whole thread has caused LC to leave AAPK, but I certainly hope it wasn't my post from yesterday, April 1st, which was April Fools Day, because that is exactly what I posted, an April Fools joke.

Charlie Noyes
I wish that I had known that you were joking before I gave out my secret formula .
Bob
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

I've tried my best to stay out of the Chinese knife debate when possible, but I'd like to openly state my opinion on the subject along with the factors that lead to the creation of this forum.

I do not buy Chinese knives. I'm just not into them & I prefer to buy and collect US manufactured knives. I feel like the playing field is skewed in favor of Chinese manufacturers due in part to large disparities in safety regulations, environmental regulations and other related factors. I want to do all I can to support manufacturers who adhere to the costly standards we as a nation have created for ourselves.

Despite this, I try to keep an open mind on all matters and I do not know enough or feel like it is my place to make any final decisions about forum categories here on AAPK. I also do not know enough about the subject to argue for or against colleting this category of knives.

Maybe Chinese knives do serve as a gateway to collecting that could lead to more buyers of US knies in the long run. Maybe the jobs created from engenearing, outsourcing, importing & retailing these knives in large quantities make up for lost jobs in manufacturing. Maybe our US companies are making larger profits from exploiting cheap labor & this enables them to hire more workers in other areas of their businesses.

I have my own theories on the above, but I do not know enough about any of it to argue the points.

I do not expect to spend much time on this part of the forum myself because it's not my thing, but IMO, we can not simply ignore the fact that Chineese knives are being purchased and discussed. Hopefully, those of us who are not into them can simply choose not to paricipate in the discussions.

When the subject started coming up regulaly in the general discussion forum, it always created an argument & forced us mods to make dificult decisions quickly. For those who think we went overboard on censoring, please put yourselves in our shoes for a moment and consider that we are in uncharted teritory as AAPK continues to grow with new challenges presenting themselves daily.

All we can do is try our best. Personally, I'm proud to be in the company of the mod team we have here. I stand behind every decision they have ever made here because I feel they have great judgement & amazing patience. We all make mistakes on occasion, I know I've made plenty, but who doesn't. I hope those who took great offence to recent incidents might cut us some slack as we navigate through a few sensitive issues.
theblindog

Post by theblindog »

Bryan wrote:Hopefully, those of us who are not into them can simply choose not to paricipate in the discussions.
thank you Bryan, after all, this is the World Wide Web. ::nod::
Falah

"Have a sharp day!"
cusprider

Post by cusprider »

I'm fortunate to live close enough to A.G. Russell's showroom in Arkansas to stop by and get my hands on his wares.
The last knife I bought was his "Beak" hawkbill-pruner. Like some of you out there I was hesitant to buy a Chinese made knife and I put off this purchase until I handled one and was quite surprised at the quality of this knife.

It is a beast. ::woot::

Heavy duty, classic blade pattern, with some modern innovations. This is as fine a working knife as whatever was produced in the past and way beyond ANY hawk produced today.
IMHO this knife is over built and is more knife then most could use ::huff::

Like Jim Parker's Japanese made knives in the 70s, Quality can be insisted upon by whomever has the knife manufactured. Russel, like Parker, is putting his reputation and experience on insuring the knives he sells are exactly what he wants to provide for his customers. His guarantee is one of the best in the business. Also, as a reputable dealer, all his knives have full disclosure in their descriptions.

Charlie, I hope you have a good experience with AGR and his products. Wm
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Thanks to all of your Moderators for simply asking people to keep on topic on these threads. There are other threads available to state personal feelings, etc. I don`t think what the Moderators are asking is unreasonable at all. When I click on a thread I`d simply like to read things concerning the thread. Theirs is not an easy job whether they asked for it or not and I`m sure they take a lot of personal time to make this a successful venture. Thanks again and best regards to all.

An old timer who just loves knives.....
Bob
Absintheur

Post by Absintheur »

I will say when I buy a Chinese made knife from a US dealer I know the feds get a cut from import duty, the importer gets a cut, and from there you often have distributors and dealers each getting a cut too. There are folks who work in each of those steps who's jobs depend on the sales on these imports. In all actuality the majority of the money spent stays with US companies in the US. It is when someone buys direct from out of country it really costs the US.

Having said that...my AG Russell's...

The Texas Rangers...

A few other assorted Ag Russells
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

phil and Bryan,you are very right.
I, for the life of me cant see what the big deal is.If you don't like China made knives thin don't go to the China thread.I don't think it is a matter of any one "throwing there weight around"they are just doing there job.
I don't collect Case so I have never bin to the thread.But I don't care if you collect Case and I sure am not going to tell you how wrong I think you are for doing that.
It is not a matter of free speech.It is a matter of having respect for other users of this forum.
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Yeah, all about pocket knives, not
all american pocket knives.
Then maybe everyone could like the same
football or baseball team. Invigorating to imagine.
Sheesh i am tired
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
grins000

Post by grins000 »

Hot D.....m get popcorn ma ::ds::
Alan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

grins000 -- Welcome to AAPK.

You're a little late to the party. Old thread. :) Anyway, good to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

::welcome::
Attachments
AG Russell Scout.JPG
AG Russell Scout..JPG
AG Russell Scout Tang.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Archer

Post by Archer »

AG Russell stockman 2.jpg
AG Russell stockman3.jpg
Mike
grins000

Post by grins000 »

thanks man, been here awhile and a customer too, very informative site, in fact this site has turned me into a slip joint junkie.
Alan
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Very nice knives,Fellas!! ::tu::
Wazu....love the Scout. 8)
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

All very good looking knives. And Wazu that scout is a beaut!
ken6

Post by ken6 »

Phil Gibbs, Thanks for your posts. The factual statements you made about China Cutlery Co's not using child labor, not being owned by the Chinese govt, etc. were very interesting. That should clear alot of mis-understanding up. Thanks for the info. Ken
Ken Spielvogel - The "Accumulator" of knives- "The Talking Knives"
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

Taking human rights violations out of the picture; as I said in one other post I made about Chinese made knives, it all boils down to the name behind the company producing the knives and Phil you made it very clear to all of us that it took some fine tuning by A.G. to get the quality he wanted and the same could probably be said for all of the US companies producing knives in China. Quality raw materials, good engineering, and oversight is the key to manufacturing anything well.
Bladeguy~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Just scored a Black Rucarta Rancher!! I am impressed with the F&F !! And already thinking about getting the Coral Rucarta version... Nice A. G. !!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm a huge fan of AG Russell knives. In fact, I credit AG with getting me interested in collecting knives way back in 1992. Up until then, I had owned and used knives my whole life and always had a particular interest in pocket knives but never really thought about collecting them as a hobby.

This is my latest AGR acquisition (which I already posted in another thread)
P2110466.JPG
And here's a trio of AGR Black Pearl beauties I'm quite fond of (also previously posted)
P8200194.JPG
I could go on and on; I love all my AG Russell knives (regardless of where they were made). Also love looking at pics of others' AGRs, John...hint...hint... :wink:

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Chinese-made knives”