New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Old Folder »

As of this writing, the "Rough Ryder Reserve Easy Open Razor" # RRR001 is now sold out at smkw. I'm sure the other two will soon follow. ::shrug::
Rough Ryder knives are getting more and more like GEC on availability.
https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=RRR
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Attachments
RRR Pictures.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay, curiosity won and I ordered the new RR Kayak and RR Swell Center Whittler. I don't care for the Razor.
I will be very interested to hear all of our differing opinions on these knives when we receive them.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:31 pm Okay, curiosity won and I ordered the new RR Kayak and RR Swell Center Whittler. I don't care for the Razor.
I will be very interested to hear all of our differing opinions on these knives when we receive them.
UPDATE: For the second time in a month FedEx has lost my order from SMKW. FedEx wouldn't talk to me about it and I got, let's say very un-Christian about it. I spoke with SMKW and they will start an investigation and then will replace or refund my money. In my personal experience FedEx is the worst delivery companies in the country.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:31 pm Okay, curiosity won and I ordered the new RR Kayak and RR Swell Center Whittler. I don't care for the Razor.
UPDATE: For the second time in a month FedEx has lost my order from SMKW. FedEx wouldn't talk to me about it and I got, let's say very un-Christian about it. I spoke with SMKW and they will start an investigation and then will replace or refund my money. In my personal experience FedEx is the worst delivery companies in the country.
That is so disappointing ! I feel for you.
Will SMKW only ship via FedEx ?
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

WOW David.
I hope that your RRR Kayak and Whittler were not in there?
Being that the FedEx driver miss-delivered your last shipment down the road, he would be my first CSI.

Dan
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:02 pm
That is so disappointing ! I feel for you.
Will SMKW only ship via FedEx ?
kj
I was told that is their current "agreement" but they are getting so many complaints from around the country they are trying to get management to return to what ever they were doing before. Not sure if that was USPS.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

That is very handy information to have, if i have a purchase i won't be using FedEx, it takes me long enough as it is to receive my parcels. ::tu::
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I have quit ordering anything unless it comes UPS--USPS in Michigan dosen't deliver nothing but bills on time --packages all get lost if they go through the Detroit mail hub---the way it's set up you can't even make complaint's it's just gone--all mail on east side goes through Detroit Hub if it's a package it's not gonna arrive been this way for 2+ years now and getting worse every week---I think those employee's make a better living off lost parcels than they do take home pay...are they reselling all those lost items??? where do they go??? they actually change tracking dates arrival time from week to week so they don't look so bad...I have gotten several empty padded envelopes why do they do that if someone ain't stealing?? the edge will be ripped open why dosen't that carrier return it to sender?? ? Don't get me started on the mail in ballots those Government Fools told us all to trust.......
Never Doubt Your Dawg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Back in stock.

Rough
Ryder
Reserve
Attachments
Screenshot_20201118-195901.png
Screenshot_20201118-195923.png
Screenshot_20201118-195952.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The new "Rough Ryder Reserve" was scheduled to be sold in increments of four (4) knives, however, the RRR004 was late on the production line and the first of the series were sold without the 004. The 004 did not accompany the first three.
We all know about the 001 002 & 003 RRR.
I have the following information on the missing RRR004:
It is a "BarBack" pattern. I have never heard or seen a BarBack knife until I watched the below SMKW YouTube video entitled: SMKW's "Guys Talk Knives #148"
It can be seen on the below posted youtube site.
It's a 38 minute video narrated by "Andy." Andy was also the knife designer of the RRR 004, you can skip to the initial showing of the knife at approximately 7 minutes into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwoCvcUXqc

I captured the two below pictures from my monitor, the picture quality is not very fine. However, the video will be much better for your viewing and will give you much history of the upcoming RRR knives.
One very interesting subject is that even though Rough Ryder has its own factory, the Rough Ryder Reserve knives are not manufactured in their "standard" RR factory.
According to Andy, SMKW uses a "Premium" factory for the RRR production. Alan also stated that the premium factory has "insane" Quality Control.
The next series of RRR knives will have a total of five (5) knives, to include the RRR004 and RRR005 through RRR008.

Alan gave no prices, he did however state that there are less than 1,000 of each and every RRR produced. When they are gone...there gone. Less than 1,000 is quite low in our current knife world. Alan also stated on October 20th that they are currently "On the Boat" which is usually a 45 day trip.

Here are the pictures:
Two blade. Wharncliffe and regular Spearpoint blade, half stops, D2 with Micarta Handles. The cap-lifter is located on the blade, the caplifter can be utilized while the blade is closed.
Dan
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
Dan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

All my RR knives are of excellent quality and great value for money. If they can keep up their quality with the downside of per run numbers released, that is a small price to pay. Would rather see that, than a lot more produced but losing their quality. That is only my opinion, would love to hear other members thoughts though. ::tu::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Old Folder wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:25 pm The new "Rough Ryder Reserve" was scheduled to be sold in increments of four (4) knives, however, the RRR004 was late on the production line and the first of the series were sold without the 004. The 004 did not accompany the first three.
It is a "BarBack" pattern. I have never heard or seen a BarBack knife until I watched the below SMKW YouTube video entitled: SMKW's "Guys Talk Knives #148"
It's a 38 minute video narrated by "Andy." Andy was also the knife designer of the RRR 004, you can skip to the initial showing of the knife at approximately 7 minutes into the video.

I captured the two below pictures from my monitor, the picture quality is not very fine. However, the video will be much better for your viewing and will give you much history of the upcoming RRR knives.
One very interesting subject is that even though Rough Ryder has its own factory, the Rough Ryder Reserve knives are not manufactured in their "standard" RR factory.
According to Andy, SMKW uses a "Premium" factory for the RRR production. Alan also stated that the premium factory has "insane" Quality Control.
The next series of RRR knives will have a total of five (5) knives, to include the RRR004 and RRR005 through RRR008.

Alan gave no prices, he did however state that there are less than 1,000 of each and every RRR produced. When they are gone...there gone. Less than 1,000 is quite low in our current knife world. Alan also stated on October 20th that they are currently "On the Boat" which is usually a 45 day trip.

Here are the pictures:
Two blade. Wharncliffe and regular Spearpoint blade, half stops, D2 with Micarta Handles. The cap-lifter is located on the blade, the caplifter can be utilized while the blade is closed.
Dan
IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0001.JPG
No offense meant to anyone, but that is one ugly knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

edge213 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:38 pm
Old Folder wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:25 pm The new "Rough Ryder Reserve" was scheduled to be sold in increments of four (4) knives, however, the RRR004 was late on the production line and the first of the series were sold without the 004. The 004 did not accompany the first three.

Here are the pictures:
Dan
IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0001.JPG
No offense meant to anyone, but that is one ugly knife.
I agree, This knife does nothing for me. Very ugly. ::td::
Tim
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Me three-ugly! But to each, their own 👍..I'm sure there's knives I love that other people would hate ::shrug::
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Fine frame shape, but I think that bottle opener/blade combo is ugly, uncomfortable, and probably unsafe. But, I do like the pattern in general, and that choil with the Wharncliffe should make it a great blade. But, the bottle opener was a bad idea.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

RRR Bar Back is available now. $50.00 #004...last of this set. Set #005 - 008 are in production and almost complete. They'll be offered soon.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The shield on these reminds me of Northwoods. They just need some blade stamping close to the spline . . .
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I received the smkw email today for the availability of the RRR 004.
Placed my order.
Like LJ stated above "Set #005 - 008 are in production and almost complete. They'll be offered soon."
Perhaps they were on the same boat?

Dan
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

As much as I like RR's why am I having such an adverse reaction to these RRR patterns? ::hmm::
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:25 pm As much as I like RR's why am I having such an adverse reaction to these RRR patterns? ::hmm::
Here's a nice write up regarding the Triple R knife series.

http://knifenewsroom.com/2020/11/rough- ... erve-line/

I believe, as has been stated by several knifers, that the designs on some of them are not piquing the interest. The prices are another negative...so it seems. However, Kevin Pipes, Founder and CEO of SMKW, is presenting a 'new' era of knives and has been in the works for several years. The "Arrowhead" badge on all the RRR knives (and will only be put on the RRR knives) is the symbol Mr. Pipes used due to his love of Native American history.

Nevertheless, I tend to believe Mr. Pipes and Andy have designed the RRR knives with the intent of making a limited series of these knives, and when they're gone, they're gone. Time will tell if this new direction will affect the price points of SMKW's other knives. IMHO...I don't believe they will. At this time, I don't plan on purchasing any of the RRR line of knives...and I may regret that in the long run. But the price points don't entice me to lay out hundreds of dollars. Depending on what the other series of RRR knives look like, I "may" be enticed to purchase one that appeals to me. ::shrug:: Right now, it's a waiting game to see what the 005 - 008 set looks like.

I admire anyone who is taking on this series, such as Dan, and I'll be looking forward to his or anyone else's comments / reviews regarding the quality, stability and overall criteria of these knives. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just bought the RRR Kayak. At 3 5/8" should be a great knife.
I actually wanted the Swell Center Whittler but they were sold out ? (none showing on page with RRR knives)
If anyone has an extra RRR Swell Center Whittler that they would like to pass along, i would be happy to buy it.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:59 am I just bought the RRR Kayak. At 3 5/8" should be a great knife.
I actually wanted the Swell Center Whittler but they were sold out ? (none showing on page with RRR knives)
If anyone has an extra RRR Swell Center Whittler that they would like to pass along, i would be happy to buy it.
kj
Hey Roland;
Atlantic Knife:
https://atlanticknife.com/

Email: sales@atlanticknife.com
Phone: 276.807.7183
Mon - Fri 9 - 5 EST

They have the RRR003 Whittler in stock for $57.84 I don't think you can find a better price. Actually, they have all three RRR's in stock.
I could not find Canadian shipping info on their site, however, contact and phone numbers are provided.
I think you're going to love your Kayak. (and whittler) ::nod::

Dan
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Dan. I just bought myself the RRR Swell Center Whittler. I used my USA shipping address in Northport WA. The Canada/USA border has been closed since March 2020 and it likely will not re-open for another few months. Hence it will be 'awhile' before i can drive down to Northport WA. to pick it up but i have now secured one of these.
The AtlanticKnife search function did not recognize "RRR" or "Rough Ryder Reserve". I found it by looking through all "Rough Rider Knives".
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 pm Thanks Dan. I just bought myself the RRR Swell Center Whittler. I used my USA shipping address in Northport WA. The Canada/USA border has been closed since March 2020 and it likely will not re-open for another few months. Hence it will be 'awhile' before i can drive down to Northport WA. to pick it up but i have now secured one of these.
The AtlanticKnife search function did not recognize "RRR" or "Rough Ryder Reserve". I found it by looking through all "Rough Rider Knives".
kj
::tu::
Dan

Return to “Chinese-made knives”