Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Dinadan »

doglegg wrote: Just got one of these myself. Yellow. I think it will be a good whittler. ::nod:: ::nod::
So far I have not seen one in anything except yellow.
kootenay joe wrote:I have quite a few of the traditional style Colt knives from the last about 6-7 years and i am sure they come from the same place as Rough Rider knives. Both brands look and feel the same and both are very good deals for very good knives.
kj
I have several Rough Riders but only a couple of Colts, so I had not noticed the similarities. But when I compare the two whittlers in the photo the body and the bolsters look like they were made on the same machine.
philco wrote:Mel I have long suspected the Rough Rider and the Colt knives came from the same source. I have nothing to back that up other than I see a lot of similarities between the two.

My understanding is that the Colt knives are no longer being produced at this time. Anyone know for sure ?
I had not heard that Colt was no longer being made.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Colt has had huge corporate debt issues for almost 20 years. The latest bankruptcy was filed in 2015, and I think they came out with a restructuring plan in 2016. I'm not sure if the knives are sold out of the same company, or if that is a different holding company. If I was one of their suppliers, I would want to be paid upfront and I wouldn't build them a knife until the check cleared!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I actually only own a couple of Chinese made knives, but today at the local flea market I ran across this one and bought it. It is my first Rough Rider and it appears to be a very good, quality made knife and the price was right for only $8.00. I have seen these referred to as a sunfish or elephant toenail pattern. It is the Rough Rider pattern number RR887 with orange bone handles.
IMG_2411.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

OC, that's knife looks good, even better enlarged.I like the scales on that one. ::tu::
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

The one rough rider I own is the "whittlin buddy" for the money these are decently built knives. My issues are that most of the rough riders i have looked at have unattractive bone and bolster ornamentation. The one i have has very ugly bone with a couple of small cracks. Aesthetics aside I still think they are decent value. My particular one takes a heck of an edge but does not hold it very long
Wharnecilff

Post by Wharnecilff »

::handshake:: I too have been tempted by the low price and large selection of patterns offered by RR and can see a valid place for them as substitutes for more expensive 'collectable' pieces when there is actually work to be done . I am new to knife collecting and treasure the few GEC and Case pieces I currently have but can't bring myself to actually 'use' them for anything other than just carrying them to show my buddies and as conversation starters. I have almost pulled the trigger on some RR knives several times, but each time I get close to doing it, I stop and think about the fine folks at Case and GEC and their families and the town's where they live, the businesses they patronize and especially the skill sets they posses and will hopefully pass along...and I just can't do it . I have resolved to save up my dollars and buy only American made knives for that reason. My knives will be passed down to family and hopefully they will continue in kind and still be able to purchase a fine American made Case,GEC,Bear and sons, etc made knife long after I am gone ...That is my personal choice, but I do understand the reason RR knives exist and more power to you if you collect and use them . The point of this hobby is the enjoyment of pocket knives and whatever you choose and however you chose to accomplish that goal is your busines, if it makes you happy , Go for it!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wharnecilff wrote:::handshake:: I too have been tempted by the low price and large selection of patterns offered by RR and can see a valid place for them as substitutes for more expensive 'collectable' pieces when there is actually work to be done . I am new to knife collecting and treasure the few GEC and Case pieces I currently have but can't bring myself to actually 'use' them for anything other than just carrying them to show my buddies and as conversation starters. I have almost pulled the trigger on some RR knives several times, but each time I get close to doing it, I stop and think about the fine folks at Case and GEC and their families and the town's where they live, the businesses they patronize and especially the skill sets they posses and will hopefully pass along...and I just can't do it . I have resolved to save up my dollars and buy only American made knives for that reason. My knives will be passed down to family and hopefully they will continue in kind and still be able to purchase a fine American made Case,GEC,Bear and sons, etc made knife long after I am gone ...That is my personal choice, but I do understand the reason RR knives exist and more power to you if you collect and use them . The point of this hobby is the enjoyment of pocket knives and whatever you choose and however you chose to accomplish that goal is your busines, if it makes you happy , Go for it!
Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. It sure would be great to see some of the knives in your collection. Pop on back when you get a chance and show 'em off.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

Small swingguard
and clasp- or deer slayer- knives
20181028_142658.jpg
Erwin
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

bigbore, nice ones. These give some indication that Rough Rider actually offers the greatest range of patterns of any knife brand.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Yes and no KJ - it seems like the patterns tend to go in and out of availability. For example, right now, SMKW doesn't have any of the RR swing guards in stock, and I think there might be only one of the larger folding hunters.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice knives there, Erwin. That is a well composed photo too! I have one of the clasp knives and I do not want to get me finger in the way of the blade closing. I keep meaning to get a swing guard but not yet.

Olde Cutler - I like that sunfish. I am sometimes surprised by just how nice the bone is on some RRs. That one looks good!
Mel
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

I got a Rough Rider for my son today. It’s their copy of the Case Baby Butterbean. It’s not a bad copy at all. The scales aren’t as smooth is several places, but it’s not a bad knife at all. The blades are very sturdy and very sharp. Here is a pic next to my Case yellow Baby Butterbean. Lots of similarities. If he can prove himself responsible with it, I’ll get him a Case.
Attachments
ACE643E7-243A-479D-89F1-B3811FBA23B6.jpeg
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice looking Butterbean, Sloth! I have always thought that RRs were a good choice for boys knives. Maybe it was just me, but when I was a boy I lost several knives, you could even say numerous, I guess. No one in my family bought expensive knives back then, so mine were Colonials and such like, so losing one was not a big deal. The first indication that my jeans had a hole in the pocket was the feeling of my pocketknife slipping down my leg, and I sure did not always feel it.
Mel
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote:I ordered a Ladies Leg last night. I've been looking at them for several years but never with enough interest to jump on one. I guess the mid-winter blahs and the $8.67 shipped price tag made me do it. :lol: It's 3-1/8" closed and I'm kind of fond of that 3" to 3-3/8" size. Marked as shipped first thing this morning, it's coming from Michigan so it should be here this week along with another knife I have on order from a different source.
Jerry, did you do any cap lifting with this knife? Just wondering if it held up. Thanks!

- John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:I ordered a Ladies Leg last night. I've been looking at them for several years but never with enough interest to jump on one. I guess the mid-winter blahs and the $8.67 shipped price tag made me do it. :lol: It's 3-1/8" closed and I'm kind of fond of that 3" to 3-3/8" size. Marked as shipped first thing this morning, it's coming from Michigan so it should be here this week along with another knife I have on order from a different source.
Jerry, did you do any cap lifting with this knife? Just wondering if it held up. Thanks!

- John
Wow! you really went back for that one. I did not do any cap lifting with the knife. There hasn't been anything in the house that had a cap to be lifted for a good long time.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

TFL, when i posted "greatest range" i was not meaning availability. I mean the vast number of different patterns RR has made since they began in about 2006 (?). I have about 500 RR's because i kept seeing a new pattern and needed to check it out.
To my surprise, i get as much pleasure from receiving & playing with a new Rough Rider as i do from a new GEC costing 10x as much. I am not saying the knives are equal. It is my sense of joy that is equivalent and this surprises me.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote:
1967redrider wrote:

- John
Wow! you really went back for that one. I did not do any cap lifting with the knife. There hasn't been anything in the house that had a cap to be lifted for a good long time.
Thanks, Jerry. I've always thought the cap lifting design of this pattern to be cool but haven't actually bought one to try. I guess the heel is the part that bites into the cap, wondered how durable they really were. Guess I need to find out for myself. ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kootenay joe wrote:TFL, when i posted "greatest range" i was not meaning availability. I mean the vast number of different patterns RR has made since they began in about 2006 (?). I have about 500 RR's because i kept seeing a new pattern and needed to check it out.
To my surprise, i get as much pleasure from receiving & playing with a new Rough Rider as i do from a new GEC costing 10x as much. I am not saying the knives are equal. It is my sense of joy that is equivalent and this surprises me.
kj
Receiving a new knife is always fun for me, as long as it comes as pictured/described. ::tu:: ::tu::

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Coal miner coming for my 53rd Birthday. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have one of their carbon blade whittlers and like it a lot. Also have one of their stainless steel whittling buddies and again a great little knife. Along the same line I didn't like Japanese cars until I got one now the only kind I drive. I though Glock was stupid and ugly until I shot one and found it a great gun. When I was a little boy I didn't like girls and now I have had the same one for 50 years. Sometime you just don't know until you try.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

deltaboy wrote:Got a Coal miner coming for my 53rd Birthday. ::tu::
If it's like this one, you're going to love it.
Attachments
Rough Rider Coal Miner Half-Hawk - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same RR "Coal Miner". It feels like a strongly built knife, one that could cut coal.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

jerryd6818 wrote:
deltaboy wrote:Got a Coal miner coming for my 53rd Birthday. ::tu::
If it's like this one, you're going to love it.

Yes that the one.
Keep Near the Cross.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just received this today. Rough Rider Cherry Bone Moose. SMKW for $9.99 You can't beat this knife and it has half stops. I have to say Rough Rider is a lot of knife for the money.
rough rider .JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What i find so amazing is that every blade in every Rough Rider knife i have is sharp and none have any blade play and all have good snap, both ways.
And i went 'overboard' so i have a few hundred of them. Not even one bad one. Amazing.
kj

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”