Union Cutlery contract knives - Griffon XX

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Union Cutlery contract knives - Griffon XX

Post by chorizotaco »

My friend and I did a trade and I got two knives one being this dogs head Griffon XX. I'm posting this to show it but also to get some discussion about the knife. I had a fellow knife person question if the blade has been replaced and also that Union Cutlery wouldn't put someone else's name on their knife with a dog head shield. I laid it next to my Union 6165 LG and the body and blades are almost identical. Now the article I copied from my Collector Club newsletter says that Griffon was from 1940 which I'm not sure of that date. Anyway let's have a discussion!!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.JPG
5.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Union Cutlery contract knives - Griffon XX

Post by Gunsil »

Nice score Dan! The dates on that KCC tang chart are off in many cases. KA-BAR made a bunch of dogs head shield knives for Western, and I have seen a Napanoch dog head by KA-BAR/Union also. That KCC chart also states KA-BAR over Reg US Pat Off mark is 1925-1930 which is WAY off, that mark appears on fixed blades right up to the late 1930s and probably 1940-41. There are many other mistakes on that chart, it was made long after Union Cut Co was gone and most of their records relegated to the Olean dump.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I would say there are too many similarities between the two knives to think the Griffon is anything other than a contract knife. Both are very nice knives by the way.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting old knife! What with all the contract knives made during the early half of the 20th century I see no reason it couldn’t have been made by Union/Ka-bar for Griffon (unless someone knows definitely otherwise), which was headquartered in NYC. Griffon at one time or another had factories in Worcester, Bridgeport, and Solingen, Germany. Here’s an old thread with some history of the company and pictures of knives with various stamps. You might want to add yours. ::tu:: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37347

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thanks for all the input I appreciate it.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”