Olcut clip point with fuller

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
steve99f

Olcut clip point with fuller

Post by steve99f »

Also picked this Olcut up from the same dealer as the Western G46-6 posted earlier today on the Western forum. Just would like to know what there is to learn about it. Model number or name, era of production, those sorts of things. Pretty nice shape with a full blade, Kabar sheath but don't know if its original to the knife. I've attached a couple of pics.
Attachments
Olcut a.jpg
Olcut d.jpg
Olcut c.jpg
steve99f
Gunsil

Re: Olcut clip point with fuller

Post by Gunsil »

Nice example Steve. I would say early 1930s, and mine is etched with the model name "Old Scout". Olcut brand ran until late 1937 according to the Union Cut price lists I have studied, the brand is not listed in the 1938 or 1940 price lists but is in the 1937 edition. Allentown in July is up against a big flea here in NYS, still undecided on where to go. My birthday is that Sun., need to find myself a present someplace. Sheath is likely a swap.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gene,

I looked for an etch when looking at it at the show but didn't see one. Thanks for the model name and the era, kind of surprised to find out it may date to the 30's. Given its decent condition, I thought a later knife but didn't really know when the Olcut brand stopped being used. Again, thanks Gene!
steve99f
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a beauty Steve ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve it was etched with pretty large letters on the flat part of the blade below the fuller on the front (mark) side of the blade. It may be visible if you tilt it the right way in the right light. It wasn't a very deep etch.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I re-checked it and no etch Gene. Thanks!
steve99f
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Hey Steve that Olcut is quite nice. I like when a knife shows it’s age with a great overall patina. I knew Gene would have some knowledge to share. Thank you Gene for enlightening us here on AAPK. Steve B.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

steve99f wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:56 pm Also picked this Olcut up from the same dealer as the Western G46-6 posted earlier today on the Western forum. Just would like to know what there is to learn about it. Model number or name, era of production, those sorts of things. Pretty nice shape with a full blade, Kabar sheath but don't know if its original to the knife. I've attached a couple of pics.
Beautiful, what's the OAL?
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Right at 9 1/2 inches.
steve99f

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”