Record price KA-BAR hunter just sold!!

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Gunsil

Record price KA-BAR hunter just sold!!

Post by Gunsil »

I love my KA-BAR hunters, was going to bid more than I ever paid before for this one, but it went CRAZY!! Beautiful example but somebody just spent the farm on it and there were a few high rollers involved. Here's the link to the ebay sale:

https://ebay.us/mVp78l
tongueriver

Re: Record price KA-BAR hunter just sold!!

Post by tongueriver »

I see that kind of crazy high bidding more and more often and I don't know what to make of it. One thing that I think of is that whenever big money is spent on knives, they never show up on the forums. There are wealthy men out there who have no regard for the collecting community and no interest in sharing the love; they are shadow collectors. I think that they are missing out on the social aspects; the wealthier a person is it seems like the more they worry about their money and they don't want to be seen. Am I wrong?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

For posterity.
Attachments
Ka-Bar.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Personally I don't think the sell price should surprise as knives are selling really well right now. That one is a rare jewel. I assume the stamp in the pictures was also included, which would make that a rare item as well. If not that would be upsetting.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I think the price was outrageous. I have seen two nicer ones sell for less than half that price in the last two years and the seller got it at the Gator show a month ago for less than 1/4 what it sold for on the bay. Yes, it is a rarer model KA-BAR, but by no means the rarest model KA-BAR. The printing blocks usually go for less than a hundred bucks. I happen to have four of the knives and one sheath, sold another knife last year, none of mine are mint like the one sold today. They were available in stag or jigged bone scales and the bone ones seem to be rarer than the stag ones. A truly unique design for an American hunting knife and rather beautiful. Of course if this sale sets a new standard my examples will also be up in value which isn't a bad thing.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It is a sellers market at present.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

CBC radio had a talk today about how 'crazy' the collectible market has gone. A Mickey Mantle first year card sold for $750,000. He said people are beginning to collect USA pickup trucks from 1970's & '80's and paying up to $100,000 for a good example.
Guy said there is a lot of money sitting 'idle' 'out there' and dropping a half million is no big deal to many people.
It's not just knives, all collectibles are getting record high prices now.
kj
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:23 am CBC radio had a talk today about how 'crazy' the collectible market has gone.
It's true. Since the pandemic started last year, collectibles have gained a lot of interest. They're saying that it's because people are getting bored of staying at home and discovering some of these hobbies to keep themselves busy.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

WOW!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I fondled this knife in person at the gator show , beautiful piece for sure , I guess all it takes are two people that want it really bad to reach a price like that .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

ScoutKnives wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 pm I fondled this knife in person at the gator show , beautiful piece for sure , I guess all it takes are two people that want it really bad to reach a price like that .
I'm wondering how much the guy selling this knife, was asking for it at the gator show?
Barry
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I didn’t ask , conversation started by him asking if I had anything union for sale on my tables .

Mike

1fartsmella wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 am
ScoutKnives wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 pm I fondled this knife in person at the gator show , beautiful piece for sure , I guess all it takes are two people that want it really bad to reach a price like that .
I'm wondering how much the guy selling this knife, was asking for it at the gator show?
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”