Union Ka-bar Pearl

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Union Ka-bar Pearl

Post by chorizotaco »

Added another MOP letter opener to my collection. I now have a Union one and a Ka-bar /Union one. The Ka-bar has the sheath. The MOP by the handle is almost a 1/2” thick and the length is about 4”. It is a chunk of pearl!
48A8708C-D7D3-44C6-8C86-21D29CDF8F7F.jpeg
Attachments
7933BBAA-BA0F-499A-82FA-9D245786B1CE.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Union Ka-bar Pearl

Post by Gunsil »

Nice Dan!! Now you just need the stag and the celluloid ones.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

chorizotaco wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 pm Added another MOP letter opener to my collection. I now have a Union one and a Ka-bar /Union one. The Ka-bar has the sheath. The MOP by the handle is almost a 1/2” thick and the length is about 4”. It is a chunk of pearl!

48A8708C-D7D3-44C6-8C86-21D29CDF8F7F.jpeg
Nice.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

chorizotaco wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 pm It is a chunk of pearl!
Those are beautiful. ::drool::
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

These 'Letter Openers' look stout enough to be a lethal dagger. Were these sold to people like bank managers, etc with the intention of doubling as a weapon ?
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

These were listed as "paper knife" by Union/KA-BAR but they are certainly stout enough to serve as a weapon. Two fine examples!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Way back in the day, books were printed in octets - 8 pages to the printed sheet - 4 on each side.

The printed sheets would be printed and then folded so that the pages were in order and all arranged so that the tops were at the top and the bottoms at the bottom prior to binding into the cover. Trimming the edges removed the closed fold edges, However, many times, the new, handbound books would come with some of the the edges not slit.

The purpose of the paper knife was to carefully slit the edges of any missed folds, separating the pages and allowing the book to be read. People had pen knives long before they had dedicated paper knives, for the purpose of sharpening quill pen points.

Another use of the paper knife was to cut a sheet of paper to the desired size. Paper did not always come in reams of 500 sheets all the exact same size. Paper would arrive in "sheets", large pieces of paper that could be folded and cut to size.

Early paper knives came with rounded points to prevent accidental cutting of the paper while inserting the knife into the doubled sheet of paper, a hazard of trying to use a short bladed pen knife to cut paper sheets.

The letter opener is a derivative of the paper knife, coming about due to the increasing use of envelopes.

The proper office kit had a pen knife, a paper knife and an eraser knife.

The eraser knife was used to remove ink from paper when an error was made, similar to the use of an eraser to remove a pencil written word. Eraser knives were also the knife normally used for opening the wax seal affixed to a letter.

To paraphrase the saber/sword analogy, all paper knives are knives but not all knives are paper knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:36 am Way back in the day, books were printed in octets - 8 pages to the printed sheet - 4 on each side.

The printed sheets would be printed and then folded so that the pages were in order and all arranged so that the tops were at the top and the bottoms at the bottom prior to binding into the cover. Trimming the edges removed the closed fold edges, However, many times, the new, handbound books would come with some of the the edges not slit.

The purpose of the paper knife was to carefully slit the edges of any missed folds, separating the pages and allowing the book to be read. People had pen knives long before they had dedicated paper knives, for the purpose of sharpening quill pen points.

Another use of the paper knife was to cut a sheet of paper to the desired size. Paper did not always come in reams of 500 sheets all the exact same size. Paper would arrive in "sheets", large pieces of paper that could be folded and cut to size.

Early paper knives came with rounded points to prevent accidental cutting of the paper while inserting the knife into the doubled sheet of paper, a hazard of trying to use a short bladed pen knife to cut paper sheets.

The letter opener is a derivative of the paper knife, coming about due to the increasing use of envelopes.

The proper office kit had a pen knife, a paper knife and an eraser knife.

The eraser knife was used to remove ink from paper when an error was made, similar to the use of an eraser to remove a pencil written word. Eraser knives were also the knife normally used for opening the wax seal affixed to a letter.

To paraphrase the saber/sword analogy, all paper knives are knives but not all knives are paper knives.

Very interesting, thank you for the education.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I basically agree Wayne (ZZZY), but the ones used for cutting book and newspaper sheets with the rounded tips are usually much longer knives with wood scales. Wayne (BTR) is correct that Dan's knives are listed as "paper knife" in the old catalogs and come with a sheath with no belt loop for sitting in a drawer and they are meant as letter openers. Gotta love all the sellers that call them gambler's or prostitute's knives. The pearl ones may have stout enough blades for weapon use but the tang doesn't go very far into the handle and the pearl would not hold up to much sideways torque.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here are a few more, one stag, one celluloid, and one pearl. The pearl one is marked Utica Knife and Razor, was made by Union Cut and different from the Union marked versions, it has a full double edge. I absolutely love the "Mexican Stiletto" etch in the UK&R. Also shown are original sheaths.
0F55956B-FFB4-44CE-9855-0694016A5C5E.jpeg
4A09F279-DA0E-4669-BB04-A7176D25E5AE_1_201_a.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are some of the Letter Openers i have. The blades are convex in cross section but not as 'stout' as the 2 Ka-bar on OP. They are rigid, no flex so could be used to stab but not as effectively as a dagger.
The sets with scissors i have heard referred to as a "Desk Set" or "Banker's Set".
The Camillus lives on my desk and gets frequent use opening envelopes and sharpening lead pencils.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0549.JPG
IMGP0550.JPG
IMGP0551.JPG
IMGP0552.JPG
IMGP0553.JPG
IMGP0554.JPG
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

KJ: My grandparents had two mahogany secretaries, one for his business and one for her household items and correspondence. Each had inkwells, green paper blotters with leather corners, and a "Desk set" with leather case. No idea who the makers were but they very were fancy like yours. Guess they got chucked out long ago. J.O'.
Painter80

Post by Painter80 »

I have one too. It's stamped union cut co, and kabar
Attachments
20220320_124418.jpg
20220320_124410.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Painter80 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:51 pm I have one too. It's stamped union cut co, and kabar
Very cool.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're becoming a lot like "knife7knut" P80, you just keep showing different patterns one after another! ::groove:: Do you also own 1 of every style knife ever made like he does? LOL! Beautiful dagger! 8)
8)
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

I love it!!!!
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”