New USSF Line

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New USSF Line

Post by 1967redrider »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 pm Just did a pre-order for #4. Believe it or not, this is my first Karambit.
,,,snip... I don't have any Karambits and likely never will. No matter how hard I try I can't come up with a good use for them. ::shrug:: ,,,snip....
In addition to their designed usage, the TDI knives make great box cutters. That's what I use mine for, With the kydex sheath on your belt, it's a simple pull/cut/sheath process and the curved handle puts the cutting edge/tip in the right position with less wrist strain. At least for me. YMMV.

Great idea, thanks! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 pm Just did a pre-order for #4. Believe it or not, this is my first Karambit.
I have no trouble believing that John, ::nod:: I don't have any Karambits and likely never will. No matter how hard I try I can't come up with a good use for them. ::shrug:: I suppose the original thinking was a slashing weapon, but seeing as I don't plan on doing a lot of slashing I'll leave em' for others. I certainly can see you wanting that particular Karambit to complete the blue set, but in general they just don't ring my bell, to each his own though! I'm sure plenty of folks don't understand my obsession with stilettos, so I'm the last guy to judge others on their choices! Please post some pics when you have em' all together! 8)

Will do, Mark. I'm hoping it is small enough to use a dog tag type chain and make a neck knife out of it.
Picture of the sheath that comes with it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210327-145715.png

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug Marcaida has some video's using the Karambit and is he lethal. A very impressive weapon in the right hand. ::nod::
eveled

Post by eveled »

Not to nit pick, but the TDI is definitely not a Karambit. It’s a drop point blade with a pistol style grip. It is meant to be drawn and held like a pistol. Then use a punching motion to stab an assailant.

The strength of its design makes impossible to use the classic defense against a knife attack. Where your own knife is used against you while you are still holding it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for all the insight guys. ::handshake:: ZZ's description as a box cutter makes a lot of sense to me, never thought of that. And having it as a neck knife also has some merit. I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your choice of knives John, I've just never personally known any use for that style of knife, but ya learn somethin' new everyday! 8)
8)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I also have the new Ka-Bar Karambit on order. (For display only) I'll have to make some adjustments within my 'Shadow Box' now.
This will also be my first Karambit.

"The karambit is believed to have originally been weaponized among the Minangkabau people of West Sumatra where, according to folklore, it was inspired by the claws of a tiger. As with most weapons of the region, it was originally an agricultural implement designed to rake roots, gather threshing and plant rice in most of island Southeast Asia. It's a smaller variant of the Southeast Asian sickles."

The below picture is from the 'USSF' Ka-Bar website.

KA BAR NEW USSF.jpeg
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:37 am Thanks for all the insight guys. ::handshake:: ZZ's description as a box cutter makes a lot of sense to me, never thought of that. And having it as a neck knife also has some merit. I hope you didn't think I was criticizing your choice of knives John, I've just never personally known any use for that style of knife, but ya learn somethin' new everyday! 8)

Not at all, Mark, and thanks to eveled and dog for their posts too! ::tu:: ::tu::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Old Folder wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 am I also have the new Ka-Bar Karambit on order. (For display only) I'll have to make some adjustments within my 'Shadow Box' now.

"The karambit is believed to have originally been weaponized among the Minangkabau people of West Sumatra where, according to folklore, it was inspired by the claws of a tiger. As with most weapons of the region, it was originally an agricultural implement designed to rake roots, gather threshing and plant rice in most of island Southeast Asia. It's a smaller variant of the Southeast Asian sickles."

KA BAR NEW USSF.jpeg

Dan

I saw that picture too, Dan. You will have to post some pictures of your finished Shadow Box. At least until Ka-Bar comes out with more. ::mdm:: ::super_happy::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 pm
Old Folder wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 am I also have the new Ka-Bar Karambit on order. (For display only) I'll have to make some adjustments within my 'Shadow Box' now.

KA BAR NEW USSF.jpeg

Dan

I saw that picture too, Dan. You will have to post some pictures of your finished Shadow Box. At least until Ka-Bar comes out with more. ::mdm:: ::super_happy::
Will do. ::tu::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I had the new TDI ordered from Optics Planet, then I saw it wasn't going to ship until July. Got an email from GP Knives, cancelled my Optics Planet order, ordered through GP and it shipped already, at a cheaper price too. 🎉
Attachments
Screenshot_20210402-172621.png
Screenshot_20210402-172645.png
Screenshot_20210402-172816.png

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those fellas at GP Knives are on the ball!
Attachments
IMG_20210405_182217540.jpg
IMG_20210405_182231600.jpg

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm Those fellas at GP Knives are on the ball!
Wow, 1-day service, that IS on the ball! ::nod:: Even though I couldn't originally see the purpose of this kind of knife, after watching and reading about it in this thread I must say, it looks like it would be an excellent user, particularly for cutting up boxes. Nice catch John! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 am
1967redrider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm Those fellas at GP Knives are on the ball!
Wow, 1-day service, that IS on the ball! ::nod:: Even though I couldn't originally see the purpose of this kind of knife, after watching and reading about it in this thread I must say, it looks like it would be an excellent user, particularly for cutting up boxes. Nice catch John! 8)

Thanks, Mark! I guess it differs from a Karambit in the technical sense because it doesn't have the finger ring, but it could be used in either a traditional or hammer grip. It is small enough that I am considering attaching it to a dog tag chain and using it like a neck knife. The sheath has an easily removed belt clip. 😎

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”