Original stag dogs head two blade hunter.

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Philwil1

Original stag dogs head two blade hunter.

Post by Philwil1 »

Just picked this up, I believe that it could be from right around when union cutlery first started using the KA-BAR trademark. The dogs head shield is not stamped KA-BAR , and the main blade is stamped Union Cut. co. ....could anyone tell me about it?
Attachments
92D38D08-24E0-4705-B95F-92E7B9AFE03E.jpeg
DE70EB6E-B98A-4BEE-8FA9-E182A1280912.jpeg
85DB37D6-537D-46DA-80E2-4355B22D631A.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Original stag dogs head two blade hunter.

Post by edge213 »

Philwil1 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:34 pm Just picked this up, I believe that it could be from right around when union cutlery first started using the KA-BAR trademark. The dogs head shield is not stamped KA-BAR , and the main blade is stamped Union Cut. co. ....could anyone tell me about it?
The only thing I can tell you is, I like it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I think they all had Union Cut on one blade and KA-BAR on the other if made 1923 or later. With the amount of wear on the knife, and the wear to the detail on the dog I think the KA-BAR on the dog is just worn off. I think the KA-BAR dog head knives were only made from 1923-1941 or 42, I do not think they were continued after the war. I have seen dog head KA-BARs with KA-BAR stamped out on the blade rather than the tang and they are very scarce so I think they were the first ones with the KA-BAR mark.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That is an awesome survivor (Honest Old Knife- HOK), thanks for posting. ::tu::

::welcome:: to AAPK too!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Philwil1

Post by Philwil1 »

Gunsil wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:28 pm I think they all had Union Cut on one blade and KA-BAR on the other if made 1923 or later. With the amount of wear on the knife, and the wear to the detail on the dog I think the KA-BAR on the dog is just worn off. I think the KA-BAR dog head knives were only made from 1923-1941 or 42, I do not think they were continued after the war. I have seen dog head KA-BARs with KA-BAR stamped out on the blade rather than the tang and they are very scarce so I think they were the first ones with the KA-BAR mark.
Thanks for always laying down the knowledge Gunsil! I’ve learned a lot from you from browsing this forum. Phil
TPK

Post by TPK »

That's an awesome looking knife! :shock: Thanks for posting it! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”