1109 steel? *What type of steel was used making the 1109?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
EeDeCe

1109 steel? *What type of steel was used making the 1109?

Post by EeDeCe »

Picked this one up on ebay, I just like the look of it and I love a stockman. It cleaned up pretty well. Not much info out there other than "high carbon steel" and apparently made from mid-60's to 1984. Ka-Bar historical info PDF
Any idea what steel this thing is? I know it's not the greatest era for the brand. I'm assuming 440A. I still love it, I just like to know what I have.
Attachments
IMG_20200603_1530521.jpg
tallguy606

Re: 1109 steel?

Post by tallguy606 »

I would guess 1109 is the model number, just like Case stamps their model numbers on the back of a blade.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

EeDeCe wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 pm Picked this one up on ebay, I just like the look of it and I love a stockman. It cleaned up pretty well. Not much info out there other than "high carbon steel" and apparently made from mid-60's to 1984. Ka-Bar historical info PDF
Any idea what steel this thing is? I know it's not the greatest era for the brand. I'm assuming 440A. I still love it, I just like to know what I have.
Niiiiiiiice!!
What the closed length?
Anywhere from 3-1/2" to 4" and it checks the "PERFECT" box for me!!
Longer or shorter, it's still a beautiful knife, EeDeCe. ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1109 is the pattern, not the steel. I’m not a Ka-bar expert but my guess is their steel was a proprietary composition. Probably more like a 1080 or similar. 440A is a lower end, very common stainless steel.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I didn't phrase that right. LOL
I know that's the model, I overabbreviated "what kind of steel did Ka-Bar use for the 1109?"
I tend to forget people can't read my mind. ::shrug::
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Steve Warden wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:52 pm
EeDeCe wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 pm Picked this one up on ebay, I just like the look of it and I love a stockman. It cleaned up pretty well. Not much info out there other than "high carbon steel" and apparently made from mid-60's to 1984. Ka-Bar historical info PDF
Niiiiiiiice!!
What the closed length?
Anywhere from 3-1/2" to 4" and it checks the "PERFECT" box for me!!
Longer or shorter, it's still a beautiful knife, EeDeCe. ::tu::
About 3 7/8". My favorite too, it's pretty similar to a Buck 301, but with actual wood and better action.
Wonderboy

Re: 1109 steel? *What type of steel was used making the 1109?

Post by Wonderboy »

I too have a Ka-bar 1109, identical to the photo in this post. I bought it 35 or 40 years ago with the intention of it being an EDC, but the square edges and sharp corners of the bolsters wore holes in my pants pockets faster than Sweetie could mend them. I have no idea what kind of steel was used in these, but it must be a good stainless alloy of some sort because it sharpens well and really holds an edge. I may have to take a fie to those bolsters and round them off a bit and reconsider carrying it. Thanks, EeDeCe for reminding me that I have it. Does anyone have any idea what wood the scales are made of?
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Good question. A little oil and the wood looks nice with a little grain to it. Got it sharpened up. I dulled it pretty effectively when polishing the blades but it came back really well. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up with just stropping now.
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I emailed Ka-Bar through the website customer service contact. Asked about the steel as well as what type of wood was used. It will be interesting to see if I get any info back.
I don't know if this is still considered a "stockman" since it has a pen blade instead of a spey blade, but I really prefer it this way.
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

They don't know what type of 440 steel, but it's pretty cool to get some info.

We found the following, per our 1976 Catalog:
· 3 7/8” Stockman’s Knife
· Brass bolsters and rivets
· Natural birch wood laminate handles
· 440 Stainless steel blade

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”