Unusual Kabar Hatchet

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
zzyzzogeton

Unusual Kabar Hatchet

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I acquired this old "half of a hatchet" a while back because it was different from any other Kabar hatchet I had seen, even though it was broken. I've never seen another aluminum handled Kabar hatchet.

The handle is aluminum. One side is marked KABAR and the other is marked UNION CUTLERY CO. over OLEAN N.Y.

Since it has a Union Cutlery Co. stamp it is from before they officially changed the name to Kabar in 1952.

FRJ

Re: Unusual Kabar Hatchet

Post by FRJ »

Well, that's a pretty neat artifact.
It's a shame the handle is broken.
Thanks for showing it. ::tu::
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

DSCN3826.JPG
DSCN3828.JPG
DSCN3829.JPG
Here is a complete one albeit a little different. Zzzy's being marked on the handle once had a handle with cocobolo inserts dovetailed in where this one has the KA-BAR plastic inserts. This one is marked on the head. These are hard to find, I have only seen three or four of each version in many years. I have a handle marked one with the cocobolo inserts, just don't know where it is right now and gotta leave for the NCCA show in a couple of hours. Joe, I hope to see you there. Wayne, I have two of this model, one is on the block. I sold my other cocobolo one last year, still have one. I think the all aluminum handle was a great idea but I don't think they sold a lot of them.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Well, I was packing some knives and ran across this one. Cocobolo is pinned on not dovetailed, this is what Zzzy's was like before broken. The plastic inset handle looks a little thicker. Sorry for the dim photos, no sun here this AM.
DSCN3912.JPG
DSCN3913.JPG
DSCN3914.JPG
DSCN3915.JPG

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”