Marine Mate?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
cody6268

Marine Mate?

Post by cody6268 »

I bought the lot of two sheaths just now off eBay mostly for the older Case Folding Hunter sheath, which I needed to go with the 6265 I inherited from my great-uncle some years back (because the "Job Case" one sold today supposedly for Folding Hunters is junk; doesn't really fit the 65 pattern, and is UGLY!). But just as important was this Marine Mate sheath. I didn't even know this existed (but I am aware of the pliers in the set) but I've seen two versions, all with this sheath and a Kabar-branded version of the Duluth Handiman/Handyboy tool (I have the Duluth version, a DH-16 model, but can't locate it at present); and from what I've seen either a two blade Fisherman's Toothpick or a rigging knife.

Could someone give me some info on the years they made this set, and what was in them? I plan to try to build a complete set, but I know trying to find a Kabar "Handiman" is nigh impossible; so guess my Duluth might be the filler until then.
s-l1600_KCSL_1.jpg
s-l1600KMMS6.jpg
s-l1600KMMS5.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marine Mate?

Post by knifeaholic »

email me direct at mistercasexx@gmail.com and I can send you a PDF of a 70's Kabar catalog that shows all of the Marine Mate sets.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”