Identification help some sort of fish knife?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
osuchem

Identification help some sort of fish knife?

Post by osuchem »

Was wondering if I could get some help on this knife? The handles are missing. I’ve never seen anything like this. I’m guessing it’s some sort of fish knife since it has a scaler on it. It’s in really good shape minus the handles are missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Identification help some sort of fish knife?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Haven't seen one exactly like it either but you're right, it's a KaBar fish knife with fish scaler/hook disgorger and a gaff. Probably had celluloid handle covers originally. Celluloid is notorious for decomposing so it was likely removed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

These are called a "gaff knife", or a "fisherman's knife".

I don't know what Kabar called theirs, but I remember the model number was something like T33.

Western's model number was 319, and made from 1936 to 1941. They called it a fisherman's knife.

Since Kabar is in italics, that means yours was made sometime after 1952. If there is no model number, the latest it would have been made is 1965. My guess is the earlier half of that time frame.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I have also seen all metal ones marked "DOX FISH GAFF" on the handles.
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

This is from a 1934 ad
Fish.JPG
Fish.JPG (21.47 KiB) Viewed 2626 times

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”