Little Hunter / Trading Post

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Little Hunter / Trading Post

Post by chorizotaco »

So I finally acquired the small hunters; Trading Post and Little Hunter. I've read in one of our strings that the blade on the TP is 3" long and the LH is 3.5" long. Here's my question, 1) What is the date range on these? 2) Both of my blades measure 3.25" to the guard. Poor quality control?

Thanks.
IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
TP1.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Little Hunter / Trading Post

Post by doglegg »

Chorizotaco, don't know those knives but they are certainly desirable ::tu:: .
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure where you found the information but I don't think the flat ground blade is a Trading Post knife. According to information supplied by Gunsil the Trading Post came with a 4 1/2" or 5 1/2" upswept blade. An entirely different knife. Could be a variation of the pattern but the examples of the TP knife I have owned and seen were not like yours. Hopefully Gene will see this and let us know.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

This is Gunsil's reply several years ago:

KA-BAR "LITTLE TRADING POST" knives, not to be confused with "LITTLE HUNTER" knives which all have 3&1/2" saber ground blades while the Little Trading posts all have 3' flat ground blades. If the Little Trading Post knives have the Union Cut Co mark on the reverse of the blade they had the LITTLE TRADING POST etch on the blade when new.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

chorizotaco wrote:This is Gunsil's reply several years ago:

KA-BAR "LITTLE TRADING POST" knives, not to be confused with "LITTLE HUNTER" knives which all have 3&1/2" saber ground blades while the Little Trading posts all have 3' flat ground blades. If the Little Trading Post knives have the Union Cut Co mark on the reverse of the blade they had the LITTLE TRADING POST etch on the blade when new.

Trading Post knife and Little Trading Post knife. I don't think you called your knife a Little Trading Post knife. I am not familiar with that name.

I would guess that the blade on your little hunter could be 1/4" short from use.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Where's Gene?
AAPK Janitor

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”