Fixed blades

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Fixed blades

Post by chorizotaco »

I just picked these up (maybe from someone here) and would like some info please. I've searched but nothing. The stag handled one has a super heavy pommel, very unique knife. The other I've seen before but the handle is in excellent shape and the blade is not bad. Thank you.
IMG_9819.jpg
IMG_9820.jpg
IMG_9821.jpg
IMG_9822.jpg
IMG_9813.jpg
IMG_9816.jpg
IMG_9815.jpg
Pile Driver

Re: Fixed blades

Post by Pile Driver »

I like that knife with the stag, very unique
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

DSCN2147.JPG
Here's an unused "pistol grip" among some other nice KA-BARs. They came in jigged bone or stag and with nickel or steel rear bolster (not really a pommel) and in two blade lengths. They were also available from Union Cut before the KA-BAR mark came to be in 1923. "Pistol Grip" was the name given the knife in the early catalog/brochures. The three odd (really cool) looking knives on the top are called "Robin Hood" in the old brochures and are very very rare KA-BARs. I don't think either of these models were made past the late 1920s.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Gene, those Robin Hoods are neat. I've never seen one before. Now I'll be looking for them.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Very Nice KA-Bar's you don't see hardly ever !!! ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Gene, those Robin Hoods are neat. I've never seen one before. Now I'll be looking for them.
Thanks Wayne and Kennedy! The photo isn't that good, blade shine makes the top grind invisible on the Robins. They are rare and they had a super rare sheath only made for that one design. The sheath had a flap that came down over the whole handle and snapped. Maybe I can get a better photo today although I don't wish to hijack Chorizo's thread. These also came in bone or stag and only in one blade size. I have seen them with the name Robin Hood etched on the blade, if you ever see one with the etch for sale I'd be interested in it. I do have one without sheath for sale or trade, I have four of them but only one sheath.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here's a larger "pistol grip" model number is 659 in bone, 269 in stag. This one has the model number 659-6 stamped into the bolster, the -6 is for 6 inches although they are really 5&1/2" and the smaller ones have 4&1/2" blades and when bolster stamped will have a -5 after the model number. Dang I love this model!!
DSCN3705.JPG
DSCN3706.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Wayne, here's a pic of the Robin Hood sheath and better pics of the blades.
DSCN3707. The one on the left has a bit of wear, the one on the right has been tipped a tiny bit. Some nut drilled a hole in the handle of the middle one otherwise it is very near mint. These were all hand ground so there will be little differences in the top grind. Another of my favorite KA-BAR patterns!! [attachment=0]DSCN3709.JPG
JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSCN3707.JPG
DSCN3709.JPG
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Gunsil you can hijack my thread anytime!!! We're all here to learn and I'm sitting back taking it all in.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Dang - I saw one of those sheaths along with a non-Kabar MK1-like knife in it about 2 years ago on fleabay - the flap had been cut off and someone had added a guard strap for the snap. It was an obvious mismatch with a frakensheath.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”