KA-BAR slot hobo

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KA-BAR slot hobo

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looking for information about this KA-BAR dog-head slot hobo. It's stamped KA-BAR on the knife blade, the fork is stamped UNION CUT. CO. over OLEAN, N.Y., over U.S.A. on the mark side and PAT. on the pile side. The dogs head shield has KA-BAR on it. I understand dates of KA-BAR stampings are somewhat vague, but from what I've read this one dates to the 1930s-40s range.

Any of you KA-BAR experts that can confirm or refute the age of this knife, or any other tidbits about it, please share your knowledge.

Ken
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Re: KA-BAR slot hobo

Post by RalphAlsip »

Ken, that’s a super nice old Ka-Bar / Union hobo. ::tu:: ::tu:: Did you find it during your travels in New England?

Here is a link to a post that describes the old Union blade marks. It looks like the knife could date starting from 1923 through the 1940’s.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39799&p=478928
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Jerry. I got it at the NCCA show in Portland, ME.

That Tang Stamps thread is where I got what little info I have, but I've seen posts from others questioning the accuracy of the information so I'm hoping someone (Gunsil maybe?) has some insight.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Well you sure found yourself a rare one! Pretty nice shape too!! I would have to say mid 20s-1942 but it is more likely mid 20s-1940. Tang stamp changed to KA-BAR over Olean, NY in 1943 with the switchover to military knives, They never made another dog head after the war (don't get me going about the newer dog heads which weren't made by KA-BAR). It is my opinion that these large size dog head slot knives are among the three hardest to find dog head KA-BARs. Glad to see you made it to an NCCA show, hope you had a great time there. Which one of my friends did you get it from, or did it come from a visiting seller? Did you get to meet any other AAPK members there? I wish I had had the gumption to get up and drive the five hours to get there.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Gene ,I believe he mentioned on another post he got it from Art.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Gene I did get it from Art. Enjoyed talking with all the folks there at the show. Missed Glenn by about 30 minutes. Gdogg was there when I was but we didn't connect and I'm really sorry I missed them both. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

(don't get me going about the newer dog heads which weren't made by KA-BAR). [/quote]

::tu:: ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Ken, glad you got to meet some of the NCCA guys (and the wonderful gals that run the door at our shows). Don't know if you had met Art before, but he sure has some fine knives and is super knowledgeable. The NCCA shows usually have a great selection of antique knives that are original and un-messed with. Hopefully you can return east for the big two day NCCA show next spring where there will be a lot more sellers and buyers and a lot of "lobby business" going on too.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”