KA BAR 664-5

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
steve99f

KA BAR 664-5

Post by steve99f »

Picked this up at a local show yesterday. The handle shape and jigged bone with the blade grind, just couldn't leave it on the table. Feels great in the hand. I suspect it is a pre war knife from what I could find out nosing around this forum but any other info would be appreciated.
Attachments
Kabar 664 tang stamp.JPG
Kabar 664 model stamp.JPG
Kabar 664 a.JPG
KAbar 664 handle.JPG
steve99f
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: KA BAR 664-5

Post by stagman »

Thats a neat old KA-BAR knife for sure !!!
A friend of mine in Ohio had 2 like that of yours, pattern shape wise anyway
and Case made almost the same pattern as well back in the day
All 4 of his had Stag scales, 2-Case...2-KA-BAR
all 4 of his were almost identical to yours best I re-call

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

What did you wish to know Steve? The model name was "Explorer", it is a model 64, the first number 6 is for the jigged bone handle scales, the -5 for a five inch blade. If it were stag handled it would be a 264-5, 2 being the code for stag. They were available in 5", 6", and 7" blades, the 7" ones being quite scarce. They were available with several styles of bone jigging over the years. I have never seen a post-war marked one, yours is definitely pre-war. The model is shown in the first KA-BAR hunting knife brochure circa 1923. They are definitely handsome knives. Your sheath looks to be the proper one, and an early one, probably pre-1930 although it is missing the keeper strap as I'm sure you know. There are also very similar knives in stag marked CASE and others as well as myself believe they were made on contract for Case by Union Cut.
I guess you got it at the Forks of the Delaware show?? I was sitting around yesterday morning around 10 AM thinking there was something I was supposed to be doing and realized I had forgotten to head down your way for the show.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Steve the shape of the handle and the bone sure set that one off. Congratulations.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gunsil wrote:What did you wish to know Steve? The model name was "Explorer", it is a model 64, the first number 6 is for the jigged bone handle scales, the -5 for a five inch blade. If it were stag handled it would be a 264-5, 2 being the code for stag. They were available in 5", 6", and 7" blades, the 7" ones being quite scarce. They were available with several styles of bone jigging over the years. I have never seen a post-war marked one, yours is definitely pre-war. The model is shown in the first KA-BAR hunting knife brochure circa 1923. They are definitely handsome knives. Your sheath looks to be the proper one, and an early one, probably pre-1930 although it is missing the keeper strap as I'm sure you know. There are also very similar knives in stag marked CASE and others as well as myself believe they were made on contract for Case by Union Cut.
I guess you got it at the Forks of the Delaware show?? I was sitting around yesterday morning around 10 AM thinking there was something I was supposed to be doing and realized I had forgotten to head down your way for the show.
Yep, picked it up at the Ag Hall show. Almost didn't go but glad I did. This knife in a 7 in blade would be something for sure. Thanks for the info above Gene, much appreciated. Do you happen to know about when these were discontinued? Were there post war Explorer's?

Stagman: Thank you for you comments! I'd love to see one of these in stag.

dogleg: Thanks, I'm pleased to be its caretaker.
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here's a mint 5" 264-5. By the way, only the earlier knives will have the model number on the guard.
Attachments
DSCN2254.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here's a few more 64 models, 5, 6, and 7" blades. Steve, I don't believe this model was made after the war. The tortoise cell handles one here is the only war time one I have seen and the only celluloid one I have seen. The 7" one is the only one I have seen. Always looking for mint condition pre-war KA-BAR hunters. If anybody knows of any for sale please contact me.
Attachments
DSCN2040.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Gene,

That 7" one sure does favor the USN-MK2s/1219C2s as they ended up - 7" clip point, long fuller, straight guard.

Do you know if it was the basis for what Union Cutlery submitted to the War Department for consideration?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Wayne, the 664 was not the knife the famous 1219 C2 knives were derived from. The model that became that famous knife was model 471 named "Pathfinder" in the old brochures. The 471 has a leather ring handle (designated by the 4) and a blade that is similar to the 664 but without the little curved cut out on the ricasso. The 64 series knives are slab sided full tang knives while the 71s have rat tail tangs with threaded ends and aluminum or stag pommels. Stag pommel 471s are 471-G, or a 7" blade one would be a 471 G-7. KA-BAR used a G to designate stag pommels on all models with that option. I have a couple of the 7" 471s around, same problem as you have, which tub are they in. I'll see if I can find one so you and others can see what they look like. Funny thing, one of the two 471s I have came to me in a Boyt 43 USMC sheath. I am sure it was not sold in that sheath but it was odd to see such a pairing considering the heritage of the knife.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Was the difference between the 64 and the 71 patterns the tang style only or something else as well?

I can see how the tang has to be different to accommodate the stacked leather vs the slab sided stag/bone style handles.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Look closely at the ricassos on the 64 models I show. You will see a little curved depression in the bottom of the ricasso between the guard and the blade. The 71 series did not have this little feature otherwise the blades are very similar. I'll look for some 71s tomorrow, I have them in 4,5,6,and 7" blades, the 4" being as rare as the 7" ones. Pretty sure I will dig out a 7" one but surely have a bunch of 5" and 6" ones lying around.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Wayne, here are some model 71s, 4,5, and 7" blades, don't know why I didn't turn up any 6" ones. I just realized when I dug them out that the 7" does have the little cut out in the ricasso like the 64 series did but the other 71s don't have it, I have another 7" someplace, will have to find it to see if it too has that feature. Anyways it was the 7" model 71 which with a few minor changes became the 1219 C2 knives.
Attachments
DSCN3273.JPG
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Kinda the reason for the post so not a hijack, Gene. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. You are showing some beauties Gene. The stag handled knives are real lookers..::tu::
steve99f
scagel

Post by scagel »

This wonderful knife was sitting on a gun show table today, in its original sheath. A 664 5 marked on the inside of the guard. The jigged bone looks like it's on fire. The sheath, for an over 100-year-old knife, is perfect; sewn, riveted and braded. Perfect keeper strap.
Attachments
DSC_1838.JPG
DSC_1839.JPG
DSC_1840.JPG
DSC_1841.JPG
DSC_1842.JPG
DSC_1843.JPG
DSC_1844.JPG
DSC_1845.JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice find!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Great looking knife! Love those jigged bone handles.
steve99f
RedRaiderRick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by RedRaiderRick »

I hate to see threads like this die! I always learn a ton from them. Many years ago I won a KaBar USMC knife in a sniper match. Maybe 25 years? The first of many over the years. I keep it as a reminder and used it plenty for hunting. It's a booger to sharpen but holds an edge well.
To those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected ones will never know.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”