Ka-bar Whaler

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Ka-bar Whaler

Post by chorizotaco »

I have this Whaler knife, plain as can be but great. Now I've seen two other versions, one with the handles scrimshawed and one with both the blade and handles scrimshawed. I believe the plain one was a KCC issue but what about the other two versions, anyone know?

Thanks.
5.JPG
Gunsil

Re: Ka-bar Whaler

Post by Gunsil »

Here's the 1989 KCC ad for the knife, none noted with plain blade and scrim handle.download/file.php?mode=view&id=338121
Attachments
Scan.jpeg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I never saw the literature before; interesting! They are nice. My scan of my example does not show the strong etch or the mirror finish blade properly. The knife is available if someone wants one.
jumbo005.jpg
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

That's great thanks everyone!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

tongueriver wrote:I never saw the literature before; interesting! They are nice. My scan of my example does not show the strong etch or the mirror finish blade properly. It is available if someone wants one.
jumbo005.jpg
I have a good collection of the KA-BAR Collectors Club newsletters including the one posted. I like having irrefutable facts and the newsletters provide the best and correct info on all the KCC knives. If anybody needs to see original ads for other KCC knives please feel free to ask via thread or PM. I don't come here every day but will scan and post copies when I see any inquiries. I also have seconds on some of my newsletters which I would be willing to part with at a nominal cost. I can also send better quality scans to personal e-mails as desired, I don't know why the one I posted here is so grainy, it looks good on my computer.
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thanks Gunsil for the Kabar ad, these will look good in a shadow box once I get everything together. Pretty interesting that you could only get the scrimshawed one AFTER you bought the plain one. They look really good together.
IMG_7953(1).jpg

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”