How Old Are These Kabar's??

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
OldKnifeCollector

How Old Are These Kabar's??

Post by OldKnifeCollector »

I need help getting an approximate age on these. From what I've read it said 1970's-1996, but these seem a lot older than that too me. At least the fixed blades. On the 1081 pocket knife that would make sense to me since I believe the handle's are delrin. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6 (1).jpeg
image7 (1).jpeg
I collect pre-1950’s bone, stag, and wood handled high quality knives.
zzyzzogeton

Re: How Old Are These Kabar's??

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The 1224 is from 1966 to 1978. Except for a few models from the 1930s with guard stamped model numbers, Kabar did not put model numbers on their knives until after Cole National bought the company in 1965. The 1224 was canceled in 1978. The 1224 model number was recycled into use in 1997 for the Next Gen Straight Edge.

Again the earliest date for the 1081 is 1966 to 1999, when it was discontinued.

The 1226, the Little Finn, is a little harder to bracket. Again, 1966 as the earliest, but it is still in production, although the modern 1226 has a slightly different profile. I would guess not late than the mid 1990s. If there is anything stamped on the pie side ricasso, that could narrow the time frame down. The pile sides of the leather handled hunters can be
- bare,
or have
- Cincinnati Ohio,
- Solon, Ohio,
- Japan
or
- Taiwan
on them, depending on when it was made.
OldKnifeCollector

There is nothing stamped on the 1226. I wish there was a way to narrow these down more. It's always an adventure trying to date knives.
I appreciate all of your help. Hopefully knowing that there is nothing stamped on the 1226 will help you date it.
zzyzzogeton wrote:The 1224 is from 1966 to 1978. Except for a few models from the 1930s with guard stamped model numbers, Kabar did not put model numbers on their knives until after Cole National bought the company in 1965. The 1224 was canceled in 1978. The 1224 model number was recycled into use in 1997 for the Next Gen Straight Edge.

Again the earliest date for the 1081 is 1966 to 1999, when it was discontinued.

The 1226, the Little Finn, is a little harder to bracket. Again, 1966 as the earliest, but it is still in production, although the modern 1226 has a slightly different profile. I would guess not late than the mid 1990s. If there is anything stamped on the pie side ricasso, that could narrow the time frame down. The pile sides of the leather handled hunters can be
- bare,
or have
- Cincinnati Ohio,
- Solon, Ohio,
- Japan
or
- Taiwan
on them, depending on when it was made.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Is the knife in the 3rd pic, in its sheath, the 1224 or the 1226? Can't tell from just the pic w/ nothing for scale.

This also represents a pet peeve of mine. :mrgreen: I prefer only one knife depicted per post, with multiple pics of the SINGLE knife for the post. Otherwise, incorrect assumptions can be made can occur.
OldKnifeCollector

The knife in the sheath is the 1226.
zzyzzogeton wrote:Is the knife in the 3rd pic, in its sheath, the 1224 or the 1226? Can't tell from just the pic w/ nothing for scale.

This also represents a pet peeve of mine. :mrgreen: I prefer only one knife depicted per post, with multiple pics of the SINGLE knife for the post. Otherwise, incorrect assumptions can be made can occur.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

If I remember correctly, that sheath stamp is a 70s era when Cole National Kabars came in dark brown boxes.
OldKnifeCollector

Awesome, thanks! I have one more Kabar I had questions about. I'll post some pictures of it. The tang stamp says 1930-1940 from the chart,
but I'm not sure since the handles seem to be a plastic of some sort. They are black. It's a small 2 bladed pocket knife.
zzyzzogeton wrote:If I remember correctly, that sheath stamp is a 70s era when Cole National Kabars came in dark brown boxes.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”