What year is this knife?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Newcollector71

What year is this knife?

Post by Newcollector71 »

Hello everyone I am new here and pretty new to knife collecting as well. I was in my local gun shop and in the used knife case a knife caught my eye so I picked it up for twenty bucks, it's in really nice condition I was wondering if anyone here could give me an idea of what year this knife is from the Tang stamp. Thanks!
Attachments
20171009_160205.jpg
20171009_160214.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What year is this knife?

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, Nwecollector71! Welcome to AAPK. ::handshake::
I've only a few Kabar knives in my pile so I'm only able to compare your knife's tang stamp to the chart here on the forum. According to a tang stamp chart, your knife might be in the 1950-1970 era. Maybe someone will be able to comment on the pile side stamp, the TR 94. On a couple of mine, the pattern number is on the pile side. I sure don't know about yours. ::shrug::
Some of the present day Kabars are made "over there", that was my concern about one of mine, hoping it was a USA made knife. Turned out it is an American made knife from the same era, '50-'70. ::tu::
I do know that it looks like it has not seen much use. Can you tell what the handle material is?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Newcollector71

Post by Newcollector71 »

The handle seems to be made of jigged bone
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knife has plastic handles and is from the 1990s.
Newcollector71

Post by Newcollector71 »

Gunsil wrote:Knife has plastic handles and is from the 1990s.
Thank you for your response I'm curious how you came up with that year and knife details?

I ran across this knife for sale on American Edge website and it looks identical to mine, the description says jigged bone handles and according to a KA BAR Tang stamp chart it seems my knife might have been at least made in 1970.

http://www.americanedgeknives.com/ka-ba ... -tr94.html
Attachments
20171010_125954.png
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

That reference sheet was published back in the late 1970s or early 1980s so there is no reference to later knives. That sheet also has so many errors in it to render it almost useless. If one is truly familiar with KA-BAR stampings they know that the stamp on your knife is not really like the earlier marks. I think the knife was likely really made by Queen for KA-BAR as were most of their later folding knives. You could e-mail KA-BAR your photos, they may be able to give you a date. No KA-BARs had model numbers on them before 1966-1968. The people at KA-BAR have little actual knowledge of anything made before the 1980s. The 1951-1970 era knives had Kabar in lower case italic letters, not KA-BAR as tang stamps. The handle scales look like plastic to me not real jigged bone, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I am definitely not wrong on the date estimate. I see three definite errors on that sheet and that is only a small portion of the sheet, there are others on the full sheet.
Newcollector71

Post by Newcollector71 »

Gunsil wrote:That reference sheet was published back in the late 1970s or early 1980s so there is no reference to later knives. That sheet also has so many errors in it to render it almost useless. If one is truly familiar with KA-BAR stampings they know that the stamp on your knife is not really like the earlier marks. I think the knife was likely really made by Queen for KA-BAR as were most of their later folding knives. You could e-mail KA-BAR your photos, they may be able to give you a date. No KA-BARs had model numbers on them before 1966-1968. The people at KA-BAR have little actual knowledge of anything made before the 1980s. The 1951-1970 era knives had Kabar in lower case italic letters, not KA-BAR as tang stamps. The handle scales look like plastic to me not real jigged bone, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I am definitely not wrong on the date estimate. I see three definite errors on that sheet and that is only a small portion of the sheet, there are others on the full sheet.
I see, thank you very much for the information!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Kabar produced the Kabar Collector's Club Knives from 1979 to 2005, with 1 to 3 or 4 knives put out per year.

All were reproductions of "famous" Kabar knives of the past. With the exception of the 1219C2 replica that came out on 2005 for the KCC 30th anniverary, which was obviously a fixed blade, all the Collector knives were folders made by Queen.

Over on bladeforums, there was a thread that had pictures of all the KCC knives, except for the 2005 knife, that one of the guys there has. Unfortunately, that pictoral history died with the pukebucket debacle.
alabama

Post by alabama »

kabar collectors club knives are dated-from my experience older kabar have a dash--ka-bar i read once somewhere they stopped using - in 1963...handles are plastic or rough black if u like the way it sounds better-kabar was sold several times owned by alcas from 1996 to present...
alabama

Post by alabama »

some collector club knives made by alcas-before purchase-and probably after..per-jim parker/sargent books...

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”