Union Razor Co butcher knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Elizabeth Knife

Union Razor Co butcher knife

Post by Elizabeth Knife »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and to the world of antique knives despite my name. Elizabeth Knife is my real maiden name, my father was Jackson Knife (no joke!). He passed away from cancer a few years ago. His cancer was a surprise and he died a few months later so I am just now getting around to looking at some of his things he left to me. I found a box of old knives and one is a butcher type knife stamped Union Razor Co. Tidioute PA.
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
I've since learned a little history and know its old but can't find any others to compare it to. It is very worn and the handle feels like clay not wood. Does anyone know anything about this type of knife? I've also been looking into cleaning and restoring blades, should I have it done professionally since it is so old? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks and great site! I'm learning a lot about my namesake.
Elizabeth Knife
Eugene, OR
Attachments
IMG_0992.JPG
FRJ

Re: Union Razor Co butcher knife

Post by FRJ »

Hi Elizabeth Knife, You have some nice knives there. That they are from your family makes them all the better.
We would like to know about the other knives too.
If you can, open up the folders and take pictures of the tangs. That is the bottom end of the blade where it meets the knife body.
Good clear pictures help a lot. Also take pictures of the hunting knives too. I see one is a Western. A very desirable knife.
Your Union Razor knife is pretty neat. I may have been rehandled. I show a picture of a mention of the company in
"Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings". They were only around from 1902 to 1909. Your stamp is a good one and not often found.
There will be more knowledgeable comments in time about your other knives as well, I'm sure.
Welcome to AAPK. ::tu:: Were glad to have you here. ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN5297.JPG
Joe
Elizabeth Knife

Thank you for the information. I'm having a difficult time getting good pictures of the tangs with my crappy camera.

West-Cut K5:
West-Cut.jpg
west-cutK5.jpg
Schrade Hunting knife:
Schrade-Walden.JPG
Assist blade knife:
Schrade-Presto.jpg
Remington:
This is the one has so much build up or corosion i can't read the numbers... Maybe M3. I was thinking about trying to restore it with wet dry sandpaper and gun bore cleaner from this article I found. I don't think I'll ever sell these but I know the worst thing for antiques is for a rookie to try to clean them up and I'm sure I fall into that category!
Remington.jpg
Something3.jpg
I found a few more old ones in a box. Mostly Old Hickory but a few are so warn there are no marks. Two hunting style, one looks shiny and like modern cheapo, the other is very rusted and I can't read anything.
Knives 001.JPG
Attachments
Knives 002.JPG
Knives 003.JPG
Knives 006.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, Elizabeth Knife, you have some nice knives there.
I wish some one would jump in here with more knowledge than what I can offer.
Condition is every thing, but you have some desirable knives.

One thing; the little Presto that you call an assist could be thought of as a switchblade by law enforcement. Know your knife laws where you live. I live in Connecticut. If I were found with that knife on me in public I would be exposed to 2 years in prison.
Be patient for more help.
Thanks for posting.
Joe
Elizabeth Knife

Thank you. I honestly had no idea they were valuable, they were stored in a box in the attic, except the Union Razor knife, it was always in the back of the kitchen utensil drawer, and regarded as a 'junker' because it was never sharp and doesn't look like much. I was looking for the Old Hickory when I noticed the stamp on the blade and decided to look it up as well. Had I not seen the stamp, I very well could have donated it to Goodwill!

I've always loved the mini Imperial, he gave it to me when I was in grade school, too young in my Mother's opinion (she was correct and I have scars to prove it!) He gave me the little switch blade a few years ago. I don't carry it with me, I live in Oregon so I'm not sure about the laws but I don't carry any sort of pocket knife I care about after witnessing security at an airport tell a guy he had to throw away his Grandfather's knife or miss his connecting flight. It was super sad, the gentleman was elderly and they missed it went he went through screening on the first leg of his flight so it wasn't really his fault but his only choices were to arrange to have it mailed to his house and miss his connecting flight or hand it over to be thrown away.

I've decided to just wipe the rusty ones down with 3 in 1 oil rather than try to remove it for now. I did some research on the Union Razor one and I can't find a lot of info but one guy on Etsy has one for sale that looks similar for $600! I would consider selling it if I could get that kind of money for it. I'm starting a lapidary business on the side and could use some funding but the others are too sentimental to me to let go.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

All the best with your knives, Elizabeth Knife. I'm not sure about value, but the desirability is there.

I would suggest mineral oil for your knives. Less "industrial" than 3 in 1 and you can use it on wooden handles.
Wal-Mart or CVS would have it. inexpensive.

Please stay with us if you have other knives or questions.
Joe

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”