KA-BAR Pearl Hunter Old or New

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
bkazz5

KA-BAR Pearl Hunter Old or New

Post by bkazz5 »

Picked this up in an auction. Can anyone give me an approximate age on this knife. It is a full size single blade pearl hunter. Here's pic of knife and tang stamp. No stamp on the back. Sorry for the poor pics.
Attachments
20160315_133153.jpg
20160315_133204.jpg
20160315_133229.jpg
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: KA-BAR Pearl Hunter Old or New

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Nice knife
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Thank you. I am guessing it is from the 70's but I do not know that for sure.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

If I'm reading the book right, Goins has that tang stamp listed as c 1925-1930.

________
Mike
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

One more thing:

I said the "tang stamp reads" 1925-1930, however, I don't know enough about Ka-Bar's to know if that blade is original to that body. That blade could be from another knife, I just don't have enough expertise in that area.

Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure about age but looks like an older stamping blade in a newer frame. New pearl handles. Looks like a new knife to me but nothing on the pile side of the tang. KA-BAR used that match striker pull on a lot of the old folding hunters as well as on club knives and reproduction type folding hunters. As far as I know most the newer blades were stamped deep on the back of the tang with dates to denote the age.

I am sure someone knows better about the newer blades
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

Kabar made a pair of these commemoratives in 1979 (1 pearl and 1 ivory) and they used the older tang stamp on them . If I remember correctly , they made approx. 300 sets . I sold my pair about 8-10 years ago for $250 .

Bob
WAYNED
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WAYNED »

Bob is correct 1979 and the Ivory is super gold $$ and this pearl is as hard to find and varies in price but generally will bring 250 or more.
I sold my Pearl years ago to a NY collector/knife guru for more than that as he was determined to add it to a display next to his Schrades.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The books are wrong about the "Reg US Patent Off" tang stamp, it was used right up into 1942 and discontinued in 1943 with the KA-BAR over Olean NY stamp. Books are also wrong about Olcut (used until 1937, and Keenwel which did not begin until 1938 and is NOT a pre-KA-BAR mark, and was discontinued either late in the war or at the end of the war. I have proof of these statements.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”