LL Bean and Ka-bar

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

LL Bean and Ka-bar

Post by chorizotaco »

Good morning.

I recently received a black composite swing guard with the stamp "LL Bean inc / Freeport MA". Researching it I didn't find an age but I did find what seemed to be a consensus that Ka-bar made these for LL Bean. I took some pics of my old KA-BAR swing guard side by side with the LL Bean ( Ka-bar on the bottom) and they look almost identical. What age do you think the LL Bean is? They sure didn't change much on the design and manufacturing!! Thank you.
IMG_1262.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_1269.JPG
Gunsil

Re: LL Bean and Ka-bar

Post by Gunsil »

I'd say late 1940s-1950s. Definitely a KA-BAR product. The LL Bean ones are available in bone or jigged rough black scales same as the KA-BAR marked ones. Somewhere in the KCC newsletters is a sheet with the KA-BAR made LL Bean knives listed.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gene, did Ka-Bar make any with synthetic handles prior to the 1960s?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, Union Cut Co/KA-BAR used a lot of celluloid before WW2 and in the late 1940s they used a lot of jigged black material like Chorizo has pictured. They also used slick black before and after the war, but rough black was more predominant. When the company changed to KA-BAR Inc in 1952 they still used the jigged looking rough black but I don't know how long it was in use. There are knives with celluloid still made in the 1950s by KA-BAR Inc, but I don't know when they went to delrin like others did.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Gene,
I suspect that if Kabar did NOT shift to Delrin in 1961 (the first year it was commercially available), they delayed the shift only because the wanted to use up stock on hand.

Back when I was reading through old magazines down at the University of Texas library looking for info on Westerns, I didn't pay specific attention to other brands' ads but I remember that Delrin started popping up in everyone's ads about the same time.
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Gunsil wrote:I'd say late 1940s-1950s. Definitely a KA-BAR product. The LL Bean ones are available in bone or jigged rough black scales same as the KA-BAR marked ones. Somewhere in the KCC newsletters is a sheet with the KA-BAR made LL Bean knives listed.
Thank you sir
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

chorizotaco wrote:Good morning.

I recently received a black composite swing guard with the stamp "LL Bean inc / Freeport MA". Researching it I didn't find an age but I did find what seemed to be a consensus that Ka-bar made these for LL Bean. I took some pics of my old KA-BAR swing guard side by side with the LL Bean ( Ka-bar on the bottom) and they look almost identical. What age do you think the LL Bean is? They sure didn't change much on the design and manufacturing!! Thank you.

IMG_1262.jpgIMG_1263.jpgIMG_1264.jpgIMG_1265.jpgIMG_1268.jpgIMG_1269.JPG
These are two great looking knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knives chorizotaco.
I have a KA-BAR similar to yours. The tang stamp is different which make me think yours is older.
Also, my knife has a shield.
Attachments
CN0002.JPG
CN0004.JPG
CN0005.JPG
CN9994.JPG
CN9999 (1).JPG
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Are you sure the stamping says Freeport MA and not Freeport ME? L.L.Bean is located in Maine;not Massachusetts. If it was a typing error please ignore.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

knife7knut wrote:Are you sure the stamping says Freeport MA and not Freeport ME? L.L.Bean is located in Maine;not Massachusetts. If it was a typing error please ignore.
You're probably right, I can't see the state on the stamp so it's ME probably. Thanks!!

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”