Vintage Blow, mason jar butter churn... She Works!

This is a place for posting non-knife related items you have available for trade. If you see something you want, be sure to make a trade offer. Your offer can include a knife, knives, or pretty much anything within the limits of the law.
WillyCamaro

Vintage Blow, mason jar butter churn... She Works!

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey All,

Up for sell or trade,

A vintage Blow, mason jar, hand crank butter churn, in perfect working condition. In matter of fact, mom just tried it out the other day, to make sure it fully works, it still works great, as long as you have the correct jar shape/size.

Lightly cleaned, a little surface patina on the aluminum part, nothing that takes away from it :) .

Asking $25 plus s&h.

Thanks!
Attachments
DSCN3429.JPG
DSCN3430.JPG
DSCN3431.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
tongueriver

Re: Vintage Blow, mason jar cream separator... She Works!

Post by tongueriver »

When fresh milk is allowed to sit the heaviest cream rises naturally to the top and can be skimmed. If additional lighter creams are desired to be separated there are machines that do this by centrifugal force. What you have is a small-scale device to churn butter from cream. The lid is galvanized steel. The wooden pieces are called paddles. Most of them are made to fit the one-gallon size jars. Today butter is very expensive. Part of the reason is that almost all of the former dairy cattle breeds (guerseys, jerseys) are gone which produced good amounts of cream. Today's cattle are almost all holsteins and produce massive amounts of very low-fat milk. They are digitally monitored to their production by the closest ounce and when production falls to a certain level the animal goes straight to the fast-food joints for hamburgers. Cows need to be refreshed occasionally by breeding and dropping a calf. If the calf is male it is usually sold for veal or whatever. Some in genetically superior herds become breeder bulls. There is hardly any hamburger sold by fast food places that is from beef cattle. When I was a boy in the 1950s we had a guernsey cow Annabelle which produced milk which was one third cream of various densities. The milk was yellow from butterfat. Today's milk from the store is basically water with protein.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

when my aunt and uncle live in Orting, Washington 65 or so years ago I used to love seeing my aunt make butter in the separator.
It seems like it had a almost pungent smell and flavor. Wonderful stuff. Today it tastes like the waxed paper it is wrapped in.
Joe
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:06 pm When fresh milk is allowed to sit the heaviest cream rises naturally to the top and can be skimmed. If additional lighter creams are desired to be separated there are machines that do this by centrifugal force. What you have is a small-scale device to churn butter from cream. The lid is galvanized steel. The wooden pieces are called paddles. Most of them are made to fit the one-gallon size jars. Today butter is very expensive. Part of the reason is that almost all of the former dairy cattle breeds (guerseys, jerseys) are gone which produced good amounts of cream. Today's cattle are almost all holsteins and produce massive amounts of very low-fat milk. They are digitally monitored to their production by the closest ounce and when production falls to a certain level the animal goes straight to the fast-food joints for hamburgers. Cows need to be refreshed occasionally by breeding and dropping a calf. If the calf is male it is usually sold for veal or whatever. Some in genetically superior herds become breeder bulls. There is hardly any hamburger sold by fast food places that is from beef cattle. When I was a boy in the 1950s we had a guernsey cow Annabelle which produced milk which was one third cream of various densities. The milk was yellow from butterfat. Today's milk from the store is basically water with protein.
:oops:

That's what i meant to write... For some darn reason, I described it as a separator, not BUTTER CHURN ::dang:: .

Dang fibro fog, some days... :lol: .

Thank you for the lesson on milkers/fast-food burger Tong, those are points i didn't know ::handshake:: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

FRJ wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:22 pm when my aunt and uncle live in Orting, Washington 65 or so years ago I used to love seeing my aunt make butter in the separator.
It seems like it had a almost pungent smell and flavor. Wonderful stuff. Today it tastes like the waxed paper it is wrapped in.
Yup, there's no comparison between homemade, and store bought butter... Like food in general. The fresher/more natural it is, the better it will be, with few exceptions (jarred peanut butter is almost always better then homemade).
Winston Churchill

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage Blow, mason jar butter churn... She Works!

Post by 1967redrider »

We have one of those complete in working condition, and when I was in high school we had a Guernsey cow that I milked and we fed calves with. But we laddeled off the milk fat and made the most delicious, yellow butter. More recently my dad milked a Holstein to feed calves but the milk fat was weak and the butter, while still good, was a much lighter color.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

We too have a similar churn, the gears are open not in a housing as the one Willy has. Ours came from my mother-in-law. We milked several cows when our children were young. We had a Holstein and has been mentioned, the milk was not very rich in butter fat. Some folks called the Holstein milk, “blue John”. The last cow we milked was a Jersey Ayrshire cross, she allowed us to make lots of butter that was delicious. It was a lot of work but we were young and adventurous. (When we get home I’ll post a picture of the churn and the special shaped glass jar.)
When I was a little feller, the butter was made in a big tall ceramic churn that had a wooden dasher that passed through hole in the lid. The up and down motion caused the butter to form in the room temperature milk.
My 96 year old father-in-law tells about the days when he was a “cow hunter”, how he would put a quart mason jar full of old milk in his saddle bags and by supper time in the woods, he would have something called “clabber” to eat along with whatever was cooked for supper. By the way, the name “cow hunter” is the old Florida name for cowboy.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My paternal grandmother would hand one of us kids a jar with a lid on it and cream in it (they had a milk separator) & tell us "make me some butter". We would shake that jar until the cream inside turned to butter.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:06 pm When fresh milk is allowed to sit the heaviest cream rises naturally to the top and can be skimmed. If additional lighter creams are desired to be separated there are machines that do this by centrifugal force. What you have is a small-scale device to churn butter from cream. The lid is galvanized steel. The wooden pieces are called paddles. Most of them are made to fit the one-gallon size jars. Today butter is very expensive. Part of the reason is that almost all of the former dairy cattle breeds (guerseys, jerseys) are gone which produced good amounts of cream. Today's cattle are almost all holsteins and produce massive amounts of very low-fat milk. They are digitally monitored to their production by the closest ounce and when production falls to a certain level the animal goes straight to the fast-food joints for hamburgers. Cows need to be refreshed occasionally by breeding and dropping a calf. If the calf is male it is usually sold for veal or whatever. Some in genetically superior herds become breeder bulls. There is hardly any hamburger sold by fast food places that is from beef cattle. When I was a boy in the 1950s we had a guernsey cow Annabelle which produced milk which was one third cream of various densities. The milk was yellow from butterfat. Today's milk from the store is basically water with protein.
Very well explained. I had the good fortune as a kid to spend school holidays on a Jersey dairy farm. I had home made butter made from the milk/cream straight out of the vat before being picked up by the milk tanker. Untill you've had it, you do not know what real butter is. I would hazard a guess that less than .00001% of the population have ever had real milk let alone butter.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

In the 1960s we had a Jersey/Guernsey cross, if her milk sat for 24 hours or more the top half of the gallon was cream, with the heaviest cream at the top. The cream on top was so thick we would pull it into the middle of the opening away from the sides of the jar and scoop it out. Then we had to scrape the cream off the scoop for the first couple ladles of cream.

My dad would get a heaping spoon full of the heavy cream for his coffee.
When that cow came fresh she would give 2 gallons per milking plus what the calf drank!
I love raw milk but the state of Oregon says raw milk is illegal to sell for human consumption, but what do they know? (They let Antifa practically take over Portland!)

Great explanation Cal. ::tu::
We used a churn very similar to that one in the OP.
It probably had a square jar the mechanism sat on. The square jar causes more turbulence than a round jar so the butter churns faster.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

My mother (RIP) told a story on me that she walked into the kitchen one morning and I had a quarter pound of butter and eating it out of hand like a piece of cake. I think I must have been maybe 4 years old. Yeah... Annabelle gave us some good milk/cream/butter. We had the full size cream separator in the mudroom with a crank on it and I think it held about a gallon at a time but it might have been more. That was a mighty long time ago.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

After we moved to town in December of 1950, every now and then I would moan "Oh what I would'nt give for a glass of good old cow's milk". In 1960 I got my glass of "good old cow's milk". Blek! It didn't even come close to living up to my memories.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:25 am We too have a similar churn, the gears are open not in a housing as the one Willy has. Ours came from my mother-in-law. We milked several cows when our children were young. We had a Holstein and has been mentioned, the milk was not very rich in butter fat. Some folks called the Holstein milk, “blue John”. The last cow we milked was a Jersey Ayrshire cross, she allowed us to make lots of butter that was delicious. It was a lot of work but we were young and adventurous. (When we get home I’ll post a picture of the churn and the special shaped glass jar.)
When I was a little feller, the butter was made in a big tall ceramic churn that had a wooden dasher that passed through hole in the lid. The up and down motion caused the butter to form in the room temperature milk.
My 96 year old father-in-law tells about the days when he was a “cow hunter”, how he would put a quart mason jar full of old milk in his saddle bags and by supper time in the woods, he would have something called “clabber” to eat along with whatever was cooked for supper. By the way, the name “cow hunter” is the old Florida name for cowboy.
Treefarmer
Here's the churn that we used many years ago when we milked a cow. The gears are open and not enclosed as the one that Willy pictured. The little wooden device next to the churn is an old butter mold.
005.JPG
004.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Wonderful history/stories all, thank you for sharing ::handshake:: .

Man Philip, a little cleanup, and that un' can be put right back too use, ::tu:: .

She's still up for grabs. If your interested, shoot me a pm/email @ W.Onofreychuk@outlook.com , and we can talk. Price ain't firm, have room to chew the carrot, as bugs would say :D .
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Quick bump folks, same story as the fuse tins.
::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Return to “Off Topic Trading Post”