Your Opinion Please

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Your Opinion Please

Post by Quick Steel »

I am considering pulling the trigger on this Cripple Creek Buffalo Skinner/Jumbo Trapper [so called]. The pins appear to have been mis-struck at the factory. Would you consider this a major or minor defect? All opinions or comments appreciated.
s-l1600.jpg
#goldpan

Re: Your Opinion Please

Post by #goldpan »

For me? It depends on if its going to be a user or a safe queen. In my opinion it does affect the function at all, its a great looking knife! But not a safe queen. Just my 2 cents worth!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Randy. That is a good distinction you made. Now I just have to decide which side of that distinction I am going to choose. ::hmm::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

That wouldn't bother me a bit, but I would carry it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

When I know there is a defect on a knife, that's the first thing I'll see every time I look at it. If you're getting a real good deal on the knife sometimes that makes up for it. I own some with minor defects but I got them at a price that was appropriate. If you're going to pay top dollar, you should get top quality.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Good looking knife. Just as a matter of distinction, this is a Cripple Creek knife from the Effingham era. This knife was produced while under ownership of Blackjack not produced under the ownership of Bob Cargill. Still a nice knife just pointing that out.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Here's a pic of a couple original Cripple Creeks of that same pattern.
Attachments
2012-12-03_20-46-09_549.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Appreciate all the observations. I decided to pass on the knife. I am unlikely to carry that large a knife. Too pricey to justify a safe queen with defects. Although I understood from the get-go that it was a Blackjack product I would most likely have taken it if it were not for the defects.

Return to “Cripple Creek”