American Edge Collectors Association Toothpick

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
texastoothpick

American Edge Collectors Association Toothpick

Post by texastoothpick »

As per my screen name here, I collect Texas Toothpicks (aka Ticklers), preferably 5" and up in size. I have a simple goal that I have been working on for years: One toothpick example from every knife company. Hard enough to get any pattern from every company, let along one specific one; I will accept a 4 1/4", the other standard size for this pattern. Some of my 250+ Ticklers are pretty old, kinda beat up. So it is a particular pleasure when I get a good one like this (original) Bob Cargill Cripple Creek. Beautiful stag. Excellent craftsmanship. Both the 3 legged Buff and the AECA sheild on one side, just an expanse of nicely figured stag on the other. One of the pluses of a 5" tickler is the large canvas the maker has to work on. This is one of 58 made.

I missed the AECA show down in Ill. this year. Too bad, I usually enjoy it.

As an aside, I am a member of the Wolverine Knife Club here in Michigan. At our show this spring, had a guy showing off a nice, large collection of Cargill Cripple Creeks. It was as good experience seeing all them as it is admiring all of your photos in this forum.

Pleased to meetcha all.

Phil
Attachments
Cripple Creek AECA 1.jpg
Cripple Creek AECA backside.jpg
biglmbass

Re: American Edge Collectors Association Toothpick

Post by biglmbass »

So that one is 5"? The lastest Cripple Creek 'picks are made by GEC and are 4" unless I'm terribley mistaken.

Return to “Cripple Creek”