Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.

Bulldog Brand Knives

Bulldog Brand? Never heard of it.
7%
Know of it, that's about all
17%
Highly over-rated
3%
Just ok, nothing special
10%
One of my favorites
47%
I prefer to collect Bulldogs
17%

Total votes: 30

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

Post by hardman »

Found another. This is a Mastodon Ivory Elephant Toe made for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club.
Attachments
101_3247.JPG
101_3246.JPG
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm The issue with Bulldog, and Fight 'N Rooster for the matter, is the celluloid outgassing. They made really gorgeous knives but most collectors are too afraid they will grenade their whole knife collection. I would like bone, stag or pearl variations of each, but you don't see as many of them.
Yup, got to be on top of it. Sometimes some seem to suffer from it suddenly from one day to the next. Luckily I only have a few and can still manage them effectively but my collection of stags, horns, bones and pearls has grown just because of that.

Checkout this prototype I have with what I think are genuine Red Coral covers.

Gorgeous knife! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

::shrug::
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Since it was mentioned that Frost owns the brand now and those are completely different knives from the ones made many years ago, I think that has a lot to do w/ people losing interest in the brand. Once they get cheapened I think people get turned off. Unless you do a ton of research before you start to buy a brand, it’s easy to buy the wrong ones and then you wisen up and regret your earlier purchases. Sometimes that in itself is enough to make you give up on a brand. I think that may have something to do w/ the lack of interest in Bulldogs.
Could also be that people just aren’t posting them as much as they use to. I still see plenty of interest in the ones I have had in my store. Just sold a beautiful stag stockman a couple of days ago. The stag and pearl Bulldogs still draw lots of interest.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Like Mark said I don't buy Frost in the Bulldog Brand . The early Bulldogs are I think a Diamond in the rough you don't know how good they are until you Handle them and see how well they are made fit & Finish is top notch. The Germans do a great job on them .
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think they have some nice looking knives...just never owned any. I enjoy looking at them. So I wouldn't really know where to place my vote.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:45 pm I very much value my Bulldogs. Here are a few, including an MOP Whittler, a Stag Lockback Hunter, an MOP elephant Toe, and a Mammorth Ivory Trapper.
Wow! ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
That's what I'm talking about, very nice!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::handshake::
hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 pm::shrug::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:56 pm Found another. This is a Mastodon Ivory Elephant Toe made for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club.
Yours is nicer than mine! ::woot::
Attachments
20200812_180302.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 pm Since it was mentioned that Frost owns the brand now and those are completely different knives from the ones made many years ago, I think that has a lot to do w/ people losing interest in the brand. Once they get cheapened I think people get turned off. Unless you do a ton of research before you start to buy a brand, it’s easy to buy the wrong ones and then you wisen up and regret your earlier purchases. Sometimes that in itself is enough to make you give up on a brand. I think that may have something to do w/ the lack of interest in Bulldogs.
Could also be that people just aren’t posting them as much as they use to. I still see plenty of interest in the ones I have had in my store. Just sold a beautiful stag stockman a couple of days ago. The stag and pearl Bulldogs still draw lots of interest.
Thanks for stopping by and giving your time to share your thoughts, I appreciate it. ::handshake::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Doc B wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:38 pm I think they have some nice looking knives...just never owned any. I enjoy looking at them. So I wouldn't really know where to place my vote.
I added a line for you. ::tu::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

kennedy knives wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 pm Like Mark said I don't buy Frost in the Bulldog Brand . The early Bulldogs are I think a Diamond in the rough you don't know how good they are until you Handle them and see how well they are made fit & Finish is top notch. The Germans do a great job on them .
::ds::
Yup! When I pay more for something my expectations are high and a lot of times don't get reached but many other times, my "bargain buys" will surprise me and surpass the low expectations I set because of how little I paid. Those are the first impressions I like to experience and the only time crappy pictures are ok by me. ::facepalm:: Good job photographer, scored me a gem super cheap! ::groove::
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:56 pm Found another. This is a Mastodon Ivory Elephant Toe made for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club.
Did you happen to notice the club etchings of yours and mine? That they are facing to different sides. ::hmm::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:24 pm What is the matter with this forum? I know I just joined AAPK but trying to revive these Bulldog threads is like beating a dead horse. Comments? Anyone?
I have also noticed that the Bulldog and Fight'n Rooster threads often die a very quick death after less than a dozen posts. I can see why it is discouraging to try to start a thread here.

Here is one thought. When I browse this forum I always start with New Posts. So I see any new posts made in any Forum. I think that some folks might just browse General Knife Discussion or maybe a couple of specific forums. So they would never even see posts in any forum they do not choose to browse.

And I do agree that the way Bulldog used celluloid hurts the collectibility. Right now I have two celluloid knives on my desk that are going though a hideous decomposition. One is a Bulldog - I got it pretty cheap, but I would not buy another celluloid Bulldog.

I have only four Bulldogs. As far as the walk and talk and general smoothness action they are just about perfect. Like Fight'n Rooster, those knives came out of the Olbertz factory in Germany. Those folks knew how to make a fine knife and used great materials, except for the celluloid.
Mel
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dinadan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:01 am
Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:24 pm What is the matter with this forum? I know I just joined AAPK but trying to revive these Bulldog threads is like beating a dead horse. Comments? Anyone?
I have also noticed that the Bulldog and Fight'n Rooster threads often die a very quick death after less than a dozen posts. I can see why it is discouraging to try to start a thread here.

Here is one thought. When I browse this forum I always start with New Posts. So I see any new posts made in any Forum. I think that some folks might just browse General Knife Discussion or maybe a couple of specific forums. So they would never even see posts in any forum they do not choose to browse.

And I do agree that the way Bulldog used celluloid hurts the collectibility. Right now I have two celluloid knives on my desk that are going though a hideous decomposition. One is a Bulldog - I got it pretty cheap, but I would not buy another celluloid Bulldog.

I have only four Bulldogs. As far as the walk and talk and general smoothness action they are just about perfect. Like Fight'n Rooster, those knives came out of the Olbertz factory in Germany. Those folks knew how to make a fine knife and used great materials, except for the celluloid.

Well I sure do thank you for contributing, ::tu::
I too should try doing general searches and learn about many others niches within this community to help support them in kind and learn a thing or two while at it to boot. 8)
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

I shared these on another post figured I'd share them here too.📸
Attachments
20200812_184802~2.jpg
20200812_184842~2.jpg
20200812_184837~2.jpg
20200812_184831~2.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice knives, Arrow. I especially like the one with the Elk, or Red Deer. Here is one of mine.
Attachments
Bulldog Whittler
Bulldog Whittler
Mel
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dinadan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:24 am Very nice knives, Arrow. I especially like the one with the Elk, or Red Deer. Here is one of mine.
Sweet! Thanks ::tu::
Here's mine. I have it in MOP, clip blade with a peacock and the tiny seductress in Gold Lip MOP too.
Attachments
20200813_182959.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I like that whittler, Arrow. I keep meaning to get one of the smaller versions. Did you mention MOP ... ?
Attachments
Bulldog Whittler
Bulldog Whittler
Bulldog Whittler
Bulldog Whittler
Mel
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dinadan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:12 pm I like that whittler, Arrow. I keep meaning to get one of the smaller versions. Did you mention MOP ... ?
🤑
Looking good, real good!
Attachments
20200814_091927.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

RevolverGuy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm The early Bulldog knives were some of the best crafted knives I have ever handled. I would say even nicer than the old Schatt & Morgan's. I am fortunate to own a few of them and they all have very strong springs and gorgeous stag. The attention to detail is superb...mirror polished blades, mirror polished liners, half stops, serrated nail nicks (match strike pull), pinched bolsters, pinned shields...so much to make you drool over. I think that one reason that forum area doesn't get much traction is that the old ones are getting harder to find. The company went under, and yes I know Frost owns the trademark but those are a whole different knife, so collectors hold on to the ones they have for a long time. And that makes it harder for those new to the hobby to become familiar with them.

This is one in my collection. Bulldog congress from 1984.
67378562_10156143652157038_2569781771893735424_o.jpg
67422858_10156143654422038_132508627368935424_o.jpg
Forgot to mention that I have an '84 Congress club knife in stag too, except in a 6 blade version.

Check it out... ::oh_my::
Attachments
20200814_153212.jpg
20200814_153254.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

...come on buddy don't you dare die on me...
::dead_horse::
Attachments
20200814_160736_HDR.jpg
20200814_160601.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dinadan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:12 pm I like that whittler, Arrow. I keep meaning to get one of the smaller versions. Did you mention MOP ... ?
About that other peacock MOP, it's an oyster shell celluloid, sorry. ::doh::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::poke::
Attachments
20200821_125314.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In my early Doctor Knife days before I knew anything about brands or celluloid (or really even patterns) I picked up five Bulldog Docs. They are well made and pretty so I hang on to them.
DSC00502.JPG
DSC00504.JPG
DSC00506.JPG
DSC00511.JPG
I also acquired a Wharncliffe whittler and a couple of Cotton Samplers, one of which has moved on.
Bulldog Whittler 2nd Cut Stag -Labeled.JPG
Bull Dog Cotton Sampler 02.JPG

I don't dislike them. They just don't light my fire. I guess you could say, I'm ambivalent to the brand. You didn't list a choice for that.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “European-made knives”