German Bulldog knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by doglegg »

Targetman wrote:HaHa Sharpnshinyknives, you are already in my family! We are all brothers and sisters in this forum. We reach out to each other when we happily find that long sought knife missing from our collection or when we seek information and eagerly await responses from experienced collectors here. When no one around you is interested in your hobby, we are only a click away from the whole world of knife collectors, willing to share our knowledge, finds, thoughts, and hopeful purchases. God bless each and everyone here!
Very well said. Thank you. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hello again, in 1998 Jim Parker wrote in one of his catalogs he had sent a 1851 George Wostenholm Celebrated Anglo Saxon whittler to the master cutlers for Bulldog Brand. He challenged them to make it as good or better than the original.."they made it better" he said.
They were 5 1/4 inch large frame 3 blade Whittlers that had a split backspring. Split backsprings are more difficult to manufacture but add strength to the knife. Jim had the factory make him Whittlers in various blade etches and handle materials.
The first four here are the 1998 exibition Anglo Saxon Whittlers in AAA-1 pearl. Only 36 each were made. The first knife has the celebrated Anglo Saxon blade etch, 2nd knife..under my wings everything prospers etch, 3rd knife..flying eagle etch, 4th knife..New Orleans Knife etch.
In 1999 Jim introduced the AAA-1 pearl celebrated dirk with gold etching on the master blade. Year 2000 brought the AAA-1 pearl with the 2000 millennium etch. Last one is the double dog head AAA-1 pearl celebrated Anglo Saxon etch.
Attachments
0313191452.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi guys, a few more of the 5 1/4 inch Anglo Saxon knives. The first three are from 2002 and have the double dog head tang stamp. Each master blade has the Celebrated Anglo Saxon Knife etch. There is a 2nd cut bonestag, a buffalo horn, and an antique elephant ivory.
The next two are from 2000 with the standing dog tang stamp. The master blade has the millennium etch. There is a genuine stag and a purple swirl celluloid.
The last two are from 1999 with the standing dog tang stamp. The master blade is etched Celebrated Dirk. These are genuine stag and brown jigged bone.
The double dog head offerings were the last of the Anglo Saxon knives.
Attachments
0313191510.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Amazing and beautiful. Wow. ::tu::
kak61

Post by kak61 »

Thank you Targetman.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Awesome Targetman. Totally awesome.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi guys, here are a few Bulldog Hunters. I picked up a few pieces through the years but do not have a complete collection of them.
First one is a 5 3/8 inch frame Hunter 2 blade with Pit bull etch stag. Second is a smaller frame 5 inch stag. 2 blade War Hawk etch. Third is a 5 3/8 inch stag 1 blade Pit bull etch. Fourth is a 5 3/8 inch brown jigged bone 1 blade Pit bull etch. This has a shield on both sides. The fifth one is a Pearl Prototype small frame 5 inch 2 blade Mountain Hunter etch with shield. This knife was never put into production. I saw this one in one of Jim Parkers 2003 catalogs. When I called him about it he said it was already sold. Two years later at Jim's knife show, a dealer had it for sale for an insane amount of money, even back at that time. He wouldn't even haggle over it. I passed it up and thought no more about it. Fourteen years later, I saw it for sale on EBay...I couldn't believe what I was seeing!! It was listed for buy it now or best offer. I offered a fair price and it was accepted. So, the old saying...good things happen to he who waits....applies here!
Attachments
0313191430.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Targetman, clearly you are to Bulldogs as Babe Ruth is to baseball.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi everyone, thought I would break up the postings a bit and show a couple of freebies Jim Parker would hand out when you bought knives from him at knife shows. First is a Bulldog Brand ballcap and second are some leather coasters. I never tried to use the coasters as I figured water rings from ice tea glasses would ruin them. They were good advertising though.
Attachments
0322191021.jpg
0322191020.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Now that is just cool, accessories always add to a collection. ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The hits just keep coming. I don't know if you display your collection at knife shows Targetman, but I'm sure it would be of considerable interest.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Quick Steel. I am only a knife collector and haven't considered showing or displaying my Bulldog knives at shows. Travel expenses, lodging, and show table rental are very expensive in my opinion. Collecting for the last 24 years have given me many hours of enjoyment and that is sufficient for me. Thanks for thinking I have a collection of some merit.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi again, thought you might be interested in an oddity that was made for Bulldog company. Its a 2 piece scissors and letter opener set. It came with a nice sheath to store them in. Its listed as BKC# 373. 9 sets were made with the Bulldog Brand etch. Both items were gold plated.
Attachments
0308190925.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Here is a Bulldog 1st generation 9 7/8 inch boot knife I picked up at a show several years ago. Nice 2 piece stag handles and a fancy etch that says One Eyed Jack. Nice sheath with boot clip on back. BKC # 162.
Attachments
0322191019.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

I have always liked the sunfish or elephant toenail patterns. Below are the few I have of the many handle materials that are available. First is a 4 inch double dog head 2 blade Big Game Series in buffalo horn. Second is a 4 1/4 inch 2 blade double dog head in buffalo horn with 5 color sunfish etch. Third is a 4 1/4 inch 2 blade double dog head in second cut stag with a 5 color sunfish etch. Fourth is a 4 1/4 inch 2 blade standing dog made in 1996. This is a stag prototype with a large shield and a colored Elk etch. This large shield was never put into production. Fifth is a 4 1/4 inch 2 blade fighting dog Stag prototype made in 1995. Blade etch shows 2 fighting elephants. Very few were made. Note the engraved Bulldog shield instead of the stamped Bulldog shield. Last is a 1993 4 inch 2 blade unequal end Stag fighting dog with 5 color sunfish blade etch. This was a one time run due to a tooling mix up.
Attachments
0322190838.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I've recently been considering the BD Toenails. Just need to find one at a price which is prudent for me. Continuing to enjoy your superb acquisitions.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Quick Steel, I am thankful I purchased most of my Bulldog toenails years ago. Back then you could buy a stag or pearl 4 1/4 inch toenail for $85 to $100. Exotics for $125. Not so now. Mint in the box are bringing insane prices. In the next few days I will post some more sunfish and toenails.
I have always liked the large sunfish and the 3 inch baby sunfish. They are different enough to be interesting all by themselves.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi guys, I have some more of the 4 1/4 inch Sunfish pattern to show. First is a Double Dog Head 2 blade pearl Big Game series etch. Second is a Double Dog Head 2 blade pearl 5 color sunfish etch. Third is a Fighting Dog 2 blade from 1995. It has a plain blade and an elephant scrimshawed into the pearl. Fourth is a Fighting Dog 2 blade pearl from 1995. It has a colored elephant etched blade and a bowtie shield. Last is a Standing Dog 2 blade from 1998 in Gold Lip Pearl. It has a 5 color sunfish blade etch. Very few with this handle material were made.
Attachments
0322190857.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hello again, a few more of the Elephant Toenails and Sunfish patterns. The first four are from 2007 and were the last of the German made Bulldogs. They were 4 inch unequal end 2 blade Toenails. The master blade has a full Reverse Frosted Blade Etching of the Pit bull Trademark. First is Genuine Heart Abalone (30 made). Second is Amber Jigged bone. Third is Fire Oak handles. Fourth is Ram Sheep Horn.

The next is a 4 1/4 inch Sunfish 2 blade Double Dog Head Genuine Heart Abalone with a 5 color sunfish etch. Fifth is a 4 1/4 inch Sunfish. 2 blade Standing Dog from 1998 with Genuine Heart Abalone handles. It has a 5 color sunfish etch.
Last is a 4 1/4 inch Standing Dog from 1998 with Genuine Heart Abalone handles. It has a 5 color Peacock blade etch. Only 15 were made with this etch.
Attachments
0322190954.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Here are some closeups of the above knives
Attachments
0322190955.jpg
0322190934.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hey guys, I unboxed a few more Bulldogs to show. Below are some 4 1/4 inch 5 blade stockman. The first 3 are from 1998 and have the Bulldog Brand etch. They are stag, smooth red bone, and smooth brown bone.
The next 3 are 25 year anniversary from 2003 and have the Pit Bull trademark blade etch. They are Mother of pearl, Genuine Heart Abalone, and Mastadon Bark ivory (10 made).
Attachments
0404190800a.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Certainly a fine collection of Stockmans. ::tu::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Next is a collection of Anglo Saxon Whittlers brought out in 2007 to remember Jim Parker. The blade etch is colorized and says...The Father of Knife Collecting. Each blade has a different tang stamp to represent the era that Jim owned this brand. ( Standing dog, double doghead, fighting dog). 48 of each handle material were produced and each is serial numbered. They are Genuine Heart Abalone(prototype 2 made), carved buffalo horn, choke cherry, blue sparkle, aqua chips. Last is a rams horn from another year I forgot to show earlier.
Attachments
0404190806.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

The next four are 5 1/2 inch Trapper Display Knives. They were made in 1995 in quantity of 60 each. Blade etch is ...King of The Pit. They are Burlwood, Cranberry, Blue Velvet, and Caramel Swirl.
Attachments
0404190812a.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Targetman, I am sure enjoying this and learning a little too. ::tu::

Return to “European-made knives”