Greenbone Stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Greenbone Stockman

Post by Quick Steel »

Just arrived is this early Green Bone Stockman. Very nicely fitted, no blade rub, smooth fit of covers to bolsters. No box but otherwise would be mint. I find this to be an exceptionally handsome Bulldog. At 4" I find this the ideal size and weight for me. Excellent hand feel. The photos do not pick up the green color of the bone which is very noticeable.
P1020527.JPG
P1020526.JPG
P1020528.JPG
P1020529.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Greenbone Stockman

Post by XX Case XX »

Beautiful knife QS. I've always liked that "frosty" blade etch on those. Bone handles are flush right up against the bolsters. Ya that's a real good knife alright. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Mike. Those dog etchings I also like especially because of the frosty treatment.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Quick Steel wrote:Just arrived is this early Green Bone Stockman.
Not that it matters, but I'm curious as my Bulldog knowledge is zero. I see very often, Bulldog knives described as "1st Generation, 2nd Generation" and so on. Do you happen to know what category your knife falls under?

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

At one point it would have been easy to identify the generation of a Bulldog. Just look at the the tang or etch: two fighting bulldogs =1st generation. Unfortunately things got confused in the 90s when it has been reported some 1st generation blades were recreated with original blades but new covers. I know that the original 1st gen. used Sambar stag, but the remakes used European or other stag. Not too difficult to identify. As for my Green bone it is hard to be absolutely certain at least for me. But because of the overall quality of the knife, and especially the very fine green bone I think it is reasonable to judge it a genuine 1st gen.

If anyone is better versed on this matter, kindly let us hear from you.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mike, a correction on the Stockman, a bit disappointing. The knife was made in 1993. I overlooked the small year number. But I still love the knife!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

When I saw "Greenbone Stockman", I was expecting to see a greenbone Case like the ones jlw257 accumulates. ::shrug::
I have no knowledge of the Bulldog knives but looking at the one Quick Steel is showing, they must be a fine knife. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Tree farmer. I currently have 10 Bulldogs. Only one had an issue, i.e. blade rub.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Quick Steel wrote: I currently have 10 Bulldogs.
I'd be interested in seeing the other 9. When you get a minute, why don't you post a few pictures of the others for us. We don't get a lot of Bulldog activity here, not as much as Case, GEC, and Schrade. I'm certain they would be well received. ::nod::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mike, Thanks for the interesting suggestion. It will take a couple of days to round them up and, sadly, my camera skills are minimal at best. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try.

I nearly bought what would have been my first acrylic a few days ago but spotted that at one bolster the acrylic had pulled away. I had hoped acrylic would not be as susceptible to vagaries as celluloid. For the time being at least I will be shying away from acrylic; this is too bad as some of the covers are very attractive.

Return to “European-made knives”