Grandpa Left a dog

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Tinpanva

Grandpa Left a dog

Post by Tinpanva »

First off, hello everyone! New member, I'm not really a collector altho I do have a few nice old cases and a Masonic knife, which I believe was a Case also. Anyhoo, we were going through some old boxes this past weekend and I'm not sure how we missed it but I found this cool looking Bulldog. I usually have a keen eye for those sort of shiny things but this one must have gotten by me. Grandpa was a tobacco buyer so I'm sure he picked this up somewhere, rumor has it somewhere in Tenn. Like most things I'm not satisfied just having/finding something like this, I have to research it, figure out where it came from etc. Which is how I find this great site. I've never heard of Bulldogs, I have to say I'm really impressed with how it feels, its nice and tight and good weight. In my reading yesterday I discovered a term called off gassing. Which I'm pretty sure this was doing, has done, or might do. I was going to toss it in the gun safe with my other keepsakes, but I think I might change those plans. Anyway, I grabbed a few cell phone shots, as most forums has a term along the lines of This Post is Worthless Without Pictures!

Near as I can tell, its a Gen one, in red sparkle.
Attachments
untitled-1-5.jpg
untitled-1-7.jpg
untitled-2-3.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Grandpa Left a dog

Post by gsmith7158 »

Welcome to AAPK Tinpanva! .Your pictures didn't show up as I'm sure you figured out. Looks like you store photos on a storage site. That won't work here. The photos must be stored on the device you are posting from so we can assure that the pic always shows up here.There are several Bulldog experts here and I'm sure one can Identify your knife.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tinpanva

Post by Tinpanva »

gsmith, thank you sir! Yeah, I corrected the image issue. Looking forward to picking up any tidbits they can offer.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Welcome to AAPK "Tinpanva"
It appears to me that you have done some researching on: Case, Masonic knife, Bulldog and Off Gassing (Our public #1 enemy)
If you keep them, especially those connected to your Grandfather than you are a collector. ::nod::
You have come to the right site for professional information from fellow collectors.
Congratulations on your realization of family knife heirlooms and your preservation of such.
No need to "toss" the knife that is "Off Gassing" especially if it is a family acquirement. Knife handles can be replaced if necessary, we have highly skilled knife repairmen here in AAPK than can make repairs and looke new again. The off gassing knife should be segregated from ALL your other knives, for they do not play well with others and will eventually cause havoc and destruction to all that are in contact with its latent gasses.
From the looks of your Bulldog, the gassing does not appear to be too severe (yet). Just keep it clean and segregated, it should last for many many years to come.
For cleaning, I suggest using "Wenol" Metal Polishing Cream and, or: "Renaissance" micro-crystalline wax polish. Both items will clean up your blades and handle material. Both are fine products, can be purchased on the internet. Keep the blade joints oiled but be careful to not let the joint oil stay on the handle material.
Once again;
Welcome to AAPK ::groove::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Now that I can see your pictures, I might add a reference to my above comment about using "Wenol"-"Renaissance wax" or any abrasive compound on your etched blade. Both of these products have micro fiber grit and should NOT be used on the "Tobacco" etched blade for they will diminish and eventually destroy your "Tobacco" etching. (Just saying)
Dan
Tinpanva

Post by Tinpanva »

Old Folder wrote:Now that I can see your pictures, I might add a reference to my above comment about using "Wenol"-"Renaissance wax" or any abrasive compound on your etched blade. Both of these products have micro fiber grit and should NOT be used on the "Tobacco" etched blade for they will diminish and eventually destroy your "Tobacco" etching. (Just saying)
Dan, thanks for the great information! I guess you're confirming my suspicion that this is in fact a celluloid handle and also off-gassing. At first I thought maybe he just carried the knife in his pocket a lot and the moisture caused the slight pitting on the blades but after my reading yesterday I'm leaning more towards gasses.

I'm hoping someone will chime in on run counts, when I was looking around yesterday I was seeing a lot of stag handles and pearl, but no red sparkle tobacco congress ones, at least not with the same design.

Edit: Also, the scales don't look like they have any cracks/chips and I read somewhere that if it was actively gassing it would smell like vinegar which it does not.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Your knife is definitely out gassing. Notice corrosion on the shield and at the edge of the bolsters?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Tinpanva

Post by Tinpanva »

edge213 wrote:Your knife is definitely out gassing. Notice corrosion on the shield and at the edge of the bolsters?
Just my luck, I could fall into a hole full of breasts and come out sucking my thumb. So, the big question now is what's the best course of action moving forward. Just let it do it's thing? Keeping it separate of course or do you send it off for replacements but ruining the "original" look. For me, I'd like to see it as my grandpa bought it, but maybe not if it's going to end up in a pile of rust.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Tinpanva wrote:
edge213 wrote:Your knife is definitely out gassing. Notice corrosion on the shield and at the edge of the bolsters?
Just my luck, I could fall into a hole full of breasts and come out sucking my thumb. So, the big question now is what's the best course of action moving forward. Just let it do it's thing? Keeping it separate of course or do you send it off for replacements but ruining the "original" look. For me, I'd like to see it as my grandpa bought it, but maybe not if it's going to end up in a pile of rust.
You might from some acrylic or kirinite that is close.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Allowed to do its thing, that knife will corrode to the point it will fall apart and be useless. As has been previously suggested, you should consider having one of the knife magicians here replace those handles. There are safer materials available. True, it won't be just like your grandpa left it, but if you don't do anything it's still not going to be like he left it. The sooner you act the better off you'll be. Good luck.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In the kindest way possible, would you rather it end up looking like this. Yes ugly, but that's where it's headed.
Attachments
case%201.JPG
Dimitri's Picture.jpg
Fight'n%20rooster%20gas%201.JPG
gas%201.JPG
gas%202.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Jerry perfect photos of the impact and consequences of celluloid knife handle outgassing!

Dan I am not aware that Rennaisance Wax has ANY abrasive compounds or grit in the formula? I use it on all the metal components of my vintage collectible knives (for many years) and even over blade etches without any ill effects! In fact I think it tends to preserve these in the long term. I wouldn't use it on celluloid knife handles though. Where did you get any information that it contains grits or abrasives? They (the company that produces Renaissance Wax) use to and still may have a product that does contain a mild abrasive for cleaning but again my understanding is fhe Renaissance Wax product does not, Lloyd
Lloyd
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Duffer wrote:Jerry perfect photos of the impact and consequences of celluloid knife handle outgassing!

Dan I am not aware that Rennaisance Wax has ANY abrasive compounds or grit in the formula? I use it on all the metal components of my vintage collectible knives (for many years) and even over blade etches without any ill effects! In fact I think it tends to preserve these in the long term. I wouldn't use it on celluloid knife handles though. Where did you get any information that it contains grits or abrasives? They (the company that produces Renaissance Wax) use to and still may have a product that does contain a mild abrasive for cleaning but again my understanding is fhe Renaissance Wax product does not, Lloyd
Same - Same It's wax, not rubbing compound.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Lloyd & Jerry,
I stand corrected on the "Renaissance Wax" It is only wax, not abrasive. :oops:
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Folder wrote:Lloyd & Jerry,
I stand corrected on the "Renaissance Wax" It is only wax, not abrasive. :oops:
Ain't no thing Dan.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “European-made knives”