COA's

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Adog

COA's

Post by Adog »

Is there any way to get a new COA for a knife that has prototype engraved on the back of the main blade? Have a number of knives that are marked as prototype but came with no COA. Is there someplace to get the knives aunthicated and a COA issued? And if so what is the cost.
kootenay joe

Re: COA's

Post by kootenay joe »

Most of these 'certificates' are just marketing 'bumph'("B.S."). They do not add to value of the knife. Same for being engraved "Prototype". After seeing hundreds of these you stop being a believer.
Full custom knives often come with a certificate from the maker stating date sold, steel type, etc. and usually the price is noted as well. These are good to keep but the knife would be marked with maker's name so you don't need it to prove who made the knife.
As for all the so called "Prototype" production knives, i avoid them and look for an example from a regular run.
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I'm with Joe on most COA's.They should be made out of toilet paper.
Roger
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Adog wrote:Is there any way to get a new COA for a knife that has prototype engraved on the back of the main blade? Have a number of knives that are marked as prototype but came with no COA. Is there someplace to get the knives aunthicated and a COA issued? And if so what is the cost.
peanut740 wrote:I'm with Joe on most COA's.They should be made out of toilet paper.
Agree! If they were made from TP at least they would be useful! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I can get you a CoA for a nominal fee....what font would you like?
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:I can get you a CoA for a nominal fee....what font would you like?
Charmin or Cottonell?
Roger
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

peanut740 wrote:
SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:I can get you a CoA for a nominal fee....what font would you like?
Charmin or Cottonell?

I thought you were going to beehave. :lol:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
espn77

Post by espn77 »

philco wrote:
peanut740 wrote:
Charmin or Cottonell?

Old Roger don't have to. He is a "gold supporting member" ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::watching_you::
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

espn77 wrote:
philco wrote:
peanut740 wrote: Charmin or Cottonell?

Old Roger don't have to. He is a "gold supporting member" ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::watching_you::
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Yeah I think that gold banner unleashed Roger! :D

As for the COA I can get you one in antique parchment papper! ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

espn77 wrote:
philco wrote:
peanut740 wrote: Charmin or Cottonell?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
I see I'm getting all kinds of SUPPORT! ::groove::
Roger
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

::super_happy::
philco wrote:
peanut740 wrote:
Charmin or Cottonell?

::sotb::
Roger
SteelMyHeart85420

::stir:: ::stir:: ::stir:: sorry, couldn't help myself
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

SteelMyHeart: Very witty. You provoked a lol moment.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Adog,

We've had a little fun with this and I hope you won't take offence. The truth of the matter is that COAs aren't taken very seriously by most seasoned knife collectors. Simply put, they're a piece of paper that says whatever someone wanted it to say and they're usually associated with cutlery that was made to be collected, not used. I think most here would agree that you buy the knife not the paperwork. Yes, it's nice to get all the original paperwork, boxes, etc. but the true collectible is the knife not the COA.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

At one time the COA's flowed freely and some people were getting them made by dealers that shall go unnamed. They don't add to the knife in my opinion but some buyers want them. As an example I had a few 5 blade case classic sowbellies and a guy buying them took the ones with the COA's and left the others. Myself I would have bought the one with the best stag and fit and finish. I sold some 1st generation bulldogs one time and bought them back later. When I bought them back they had COA's with them that weren't there when I sold them. They don't mean a thing to me.
I remember one guy wouldn't buy a knife because it didn't have the plastic sleeve. I get questions about boxes almost every other day. As Phil says buy the knife, not the COA. ::tu::

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Adog, as Phil has said above, i hope you understand than none of this 'fooling around' is directed at you. However it does show you the status given to C.O.A.'s by experienced collectors. I am fairly sure that as you gain more experience with knife collecting you will loose interest in C.O.A.'s and focus on the knife alone, not the paperwork.
I wish that knives had always been sold wrapped in a waxed paper, no box. Then i would not feel that i had to keep the box of every new knife i buy. I don't want to be a box collector and storing them takes up too much space.
I also hope that the fooling around does not inhibit you from asking more questions. Every member here is equally appreciated. Whether novice or seasoned collector, all have something positive to share.
kj
SteelMyHeart85420

Well spoken, Roland. I also hope I wasn't too harsh with my "funnin' ". Stick around and learn from the many fine collectors here, Adog
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Adog, what kind of knives do you have and are wanting to get COA's for?

There is person named Creig Moore who administers the "Case Knife Collectors" group on Facebook. I believe Creig offers a service to provide a COA for Case Knives - not sure if he does for other brands. I can't vouch for Creig's services because I haven't used them. Please PM me if you are interested in getting a link to the Facebook group so you can get in touch with Creig. Creig might know someone who could help you if he can't.

For what it's worth, I agree with the opinions that have been expressed saying that COA's are not valued by most collectors, but if you want COA's for your knives go then go for it.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Check with Parker Knife Collector Service.That is who most likely put out the COA.
Roger

Return to “European-made knives”