Looking for a few low run Bulldogs

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Looking for a few low run Bulldogs

Post by zeke8 »

Hi to all of the fellow Bulldog Knife Collectors.
I am trying to locate and purchase a few Bulldog 1st. Generation low run knives and two 2nd Generation single blade folding hunters.

1. BKC #72-A, The knife is part of the Second Release of the 3-3/4" Stockman. The knife is bone handled with the "Coal Miner W/ Pick & Shovel" etch with serial number "000" on the shield.
2. BKC #80, The knife is part of the 3-7/8" Congress Tobacco Set. The knife has pearl handles. It is distinguished by one short blade.
3. BKC #129-J, The knife is a single blade folding hunter, bone handled, with the "Bull of the Woods" etch.
4. BKC #129-L, The knife is a single blade folding hunter, stag handled, with the "War Hawk" etch.
5. BKC #295, The knife is part of the 3-5/8" Serpentine Stockman Tobacco Set. The knife is stag handled with a Tobacco Leaf shield, 5-blade with "North Carolina Tobacco King" etch.
6. BKC #298, The knife is part of the 3-5/8" Serpentine Stockman Tobacco Set. The knife is stag handled with an Acorn shield, 4-blade with "Pit Bulls Trade Mark" etch.
7. BKC #305, The knife is part of the 4" Stainless Stockman Cowboy's Pet Set. The knife is light brown bone handled with a Spade shield with "Cowboy's Pet" etch.
8. BKC #307, The knife is part of the 4" Stainless Stockman Cowboy's Pet Set. The knife is torched bone handled with a Spade shield with "Cowboys Pet" etch.
Any help help finding these knives would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Looking for a few low run Bulldogs

Post by jerryd6818 »

I see it's been over six months since your first post and it hasn't been acknowledged. I apologize for the forum for that and want to welcome you to AAPK, albeit a little on the late side. Glad to have you aboard. The only excuse I can provide is, Bulldogs don't seem to have a large following around here. I hope you stick with us.

The only thing I can add is pictures. Post pictures, we love lots of pictures.
Attachments
Welcome To AAPK Blue.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I see it's been over six months since your first post and it hasn't been acknowledged. I apologize for the forum for that and want to welcome you to AAPK, albeit a little on the late side. Glad to have you aboard. The only excuse I can provide is, Bulldogs don't seem to have a large following around here. I hope you stick with us.

The only thing I can add is pictures. Post pictures, we love lots of pictures.
Thank you for the welcome jerryd6818. No apology needed. This website is fantastic! ::tu:: It is filled with good people, knowledge, and knives! I am honored to be a member.
Thanks again,
Rick
zeke8
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hi fellow Bulldog collectors. I want to update my wish list that I posted earlier. I have been fortunate to find the following knives and many other low run, 1 of 1, and unlisted knives. As time permits I will post pictures of the new found treasures.

1. BKC #72-A, The knife is part of the Second Release of the 3-3/4" Stockman. The knife is bone handled with the "Coal Miner W/ Pick & Shovel" etch with serial number "000" on the shield.
2. BKC #80, The knife is part of the 3-7/8" Congress Tobacco Set. The knife has pearl handles. It is distinguished by one short blade
3. BKC #305, The knife is part of the 4" Stainless Stockman Cowboy's Pet Set. The knife is light brown bone handled with a Spade shield with "Cowboy's Pet" etch.
4. BKC #307, The knife is part of the 4" Stainless Stockman Cowboy's Pet Set. The knife is torched bone handled with a Spade shield with "Cowboys Pet" etch.

I am still looking for the following knives:
1. BKC #129-J, The knife is a single blade folding hunter, bone handled, with the "Bull of the Woods" etch.
2. BKC #129-L, The knife is a single blade folding hunter, stag handled, with the "War Hawk" etch.
3. BKC #295, The knife is part of the 3-5/8" Serpentine Stockman Tobacco Set. The knife is stag handled with a Tobacco Leaf shield, 5-blade with "North Carolina Tobacco King" etch.
4. BKC #298, The knife is part of the 3-5/8" Serpentine Stockman Tobacco Set. The knife is stag handled with an Acorn shield, 4-blade with "Pit Bulls Trade Mark" etch.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Hello Rick,
If you are finding these 1 of 1, and other rare Bulldogs you obviously know what you are doing.

I'm sure you are in very good company here. ::tu::
Good luck to ya.
Ken
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hi Ken,

Yes, I have met some great people and friends that are responsible for the collection I have. I have acquired several rare knives over the last year or so. I haven't had the time to clean them up, to take pictures and post what I have added to my collection. Hopefully I will be able to get some posted in the next few weeks. Thanks for your interest! Take care!

Cheers ::tu::

Rick
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi zeke. I do not have any knives on your list, but i do have a 1995 Ivory Congress and an ivory sowbelly Bulldogs, just in case you might like these.
kj
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hi KJ,

Do you want to sell them? If so can you please send me two pictures, one of the front with the blades open and one of the back with the blades open.
You can send them directly to my email, which is oldstuff0321@yahoo.com. Thank you for your interest and message.

Cheers,

Rick
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

zeke 8:First of all, welcome. Like others I would love to see photos of your Bulldogs, which is a great brand. I only have a couple but they have never disappointed me.
003.JPG
005.JPG
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hello Quick Steel,

Thank you. That is a great Anglo Saxon whittler you have there. That pattern is a handful of a knife. I have a few holes that I need to fill up in my 1st gens and I want to move on to the three and five blade Anglo patterns. I have picked up a bunch of low run knives throughout the year to present. I am trying to get them cleaned up so I can post them. I have pictures of the 3-7/8" New Style Trappers Set and the 3-7/8" Cuttin Horse Set taken, I just have to post the pictures. I have some great low run trappers and sowbellies. I will try and get them posted over the weekend. Thank you for your interest and taking the time to look. I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving Day!

Take care,

Rick
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Zeke8, I saw your post about the second run, #BKC-72-A Coal Miner stockman you have with #000 serial. In the photos section here, there is a picture of a Coal Miner with NO serial number and it says only 6 were made. I have a serial numbered Coal Miner stockman and would like more info about this second release. Do you know when it was, and how many were made? Thanks!
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hi Black Mamba,

Thanks for your interest in my knives.

The first Bulldog Brand knives were produced from 1978 to 1987. These knives were labeled 1st generation knives by collectors. The first release or the 3-3/4" stockman pattern was in 1978 with a quantity of 28. This knife is unique in a few different ways. I have some pictures and information posted on AAPK site. In 1979 another 3-3/4" (138 made) stockman with bone handles, was released. In 1980 four more knives were released with different handle materials. There were 300 released with brown bone, 300 with stag, 300 with dark butter and molasses (celluloid) handle material, and 1 with smooth brown bone. In 1982 the second release 3-3/4" stockman were released. There were ten different handle materials. There was 300 Coal Miner etched knives made with serial numbers. There was six overrun knives with no serial number and there were two knives with 000 on the shield of the knife. I have come across some remake knives that had no serial number and 000 on the shield. The color of the bone handle material of the true examples is much darker than that of the remakes. The color of the remake bone has a purple brown tone. The knives that have the off color brown were made after Jim Parker purchased Bulldog. These knives were deemed 2nd generation knives. From my limited knowledge there weren't any 2nd gen knives made with serial numbers and the Coal Miner etch. I don't know how many of the 2nd gen non-serial numbered and the 000 knives were made. At one time I had 4 of the non-serial numbers and 1 with 000 on the shield.
I hope this information helps. If you want pictures of any of the knives above or any other knives, let me know. I would be happy to send them.

Best regards,
Rick
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Rick, Looking at ebay it appears that Bulldog used quite a bit of celluloid. I am wondering if you have experience with their celluloid. If so, has it held up? Any outgassing? Thanks.
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hi Quick Steel,

I have been collecting knives for 12 short years. I stayed away from celluloid handled knives for fear of what you mentioned, gassing. I didn't have any experience with celluloid and I didn't want to jeopardize my collection. Over the past year or two I have added roughly 30 celluloid handled Bulldogs. I haven't had any of them gas or deteriorate on me this far. There are a two, the red sparkle and tobacco brown, that seem to gas before the rest. The celluloids require more attention to keep them from harm. There are a few things you should do to keep them viable. The first is to store them in a somewhat controlled environment with low humidity. Also if you keep them in an open air display, the handles will breath allowing the fumes to escape without harming the steel. Also, if you clean and wipe them down 2 or 3 times a year with Renaissance wax or something comparable, you shouldn't have any problems. If the celluloids are in a confined space that is where the harm is done. There are many, more knowledgeable people on this site and I believe they would be willing to offer more helpful information. I hope I answered your questions.

Rick
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Rick. Since I keep most of my knives in the open and in an air-conditioned room I think I will likely take a closer look at some of the celluloid. Another reason I keep my knives unboxed and in the open is that I know I will do a better and more frequent job of cleaning than if I had to remove each one from a box.

Thus:
P1020143.JPG
P1020141.JPG
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Great collection! I don't think you will have any problems with the Bulldog celluloids if you store them in the way you have the rest of your knives. One other thing I forgot to mention, is to dampen a cloth with mineral oil and wipe the celluloid. This will help shrinkage and possible cracking. I had two knives develop a crack a couple weeks back. The reason I took the plunge and purchased the celluloids, is that they are all low run, 1 of 1, or unlisted or documented knives. I have plans to post pictures of my whole collection by each frame on the AAPK site once I get them cleaned. I have several pictures posted already, but I have acquired several more in each group. I need to update. Have a good night.
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks for the info, Rick. Mine has great walk & talk and the dark brown bone, serial #017, so from 1982 I take it.

https://imgur.com/DgXtx4N
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Yes, the Coal Miner etch was released in 1982, and is considered to be a 1st generation knife. There are a couple other factors that separate the 1st release knives and the 2nd release knives I forgot to mention. Besides the release dates there are four different etches. The very first stockman was released in 1978 and had Pit Bull Terrier as the etch (28 made). Also in 1978 there was a 3-3/8" stockman released with the same etch as the larger frame (11 made). The rest of the first release knives, release dates of 1979 and 1980, had the Pit Bulls Trademark etch. The second release knives from 1982 had Bulldog Brand as the etch. The etch change was made to differentiate the 1st and 2nd release knives. The last of the 1982 knives, as you know had the Coal Miner With Pick & Shovel etch. I included some pictures to help my explanation. If you want, I would be happy to take pictures of the knives I have for a visual description? Just let me know.
Attachments
20180712_185838.jpg
20180712_185911.jpg
20180712_190034.jpg
20180712_185959.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

black mamba you got your self a mighty fine knife. Congrats!

Zeke8, What is the publication that those pages come from?
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Thank you. Were you able to see the different etches from the book? I happen to have both the 3-3/4" and the 3-3/8" knives with the Pit Bull Terrier etch. I know of only two of the large frame and three of the smaller knife. In my opinion the two knives are the unicorn of the Bulldog knives. The book with the picture of the knives and descriptions is "The Pocket Knife Trader's Price Guide volume 8 (2007)". There are nine books total. The books were written by Jim Parker. The information in the sheets was put together by Tony Foster and others in 1990. It contains more information than the books. If you would like I can send you a copy of the Tony Foster pamphlet. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Rick
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

PM sent.

Return to “European-made knives”