Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.

Bulldog Brand Knives

Bulldog Brand? Never heard of it.
7%
Know of it, that's about all
17%
Highly over-rated
3%
Just ok, nothing special
10%
One of my favorites
47%
I prefer to collect Bulldogs
17%

Total votes: 30

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

doglegg wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:38 am I'm a Bulldog fan as well. Great looking knife 🔪 ::tu::
I sort of forgot how much I liked Bulldogs... :roll: until I started digging around in my "stash" ::paranoid:: Once I got a couple in my hands ::paranoid:: turns out I REALLY like them 'Ol Bulldogs ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:08 pm
doglegg wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:38 am I'm a Bulldog fan as well. Great looking knife 🔪 ::tu::
I sort of forgot how much I liked Bulldogs... :roll: until I started digging around in my "stash" ::paranoid:: Once I got a couple in my hands ::paranoid:: turns out I REALLY like them 'Ol Bulldogs ::nod::
::woot:: Me too. ::tu::
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

You might assume, correctly, that I like Bulldog Brand knives just because I'm here. I have four Bulldogs & five Fight'n Rooster knives & expect anything from Fredrich Olbertz to be well-made. I don't have any celluloid in the house & don't want any. However, that reduces my choices plus I generally don't care for club knives or etches that represent something other than the brand. I'm not trying to criticize any one else's preferences so, if that's something you like, that's fine because I like a lot of stuff that no one else seems to. Anyway, I recently got a fifth Bulldog, this stag Whittler with a "2008" tang stamp. It also has a "USA" stamp so I believe it was made by GEC. With its walk & talk & fit & finish I can easily believe GEC made it. What do ya'll think?
Attachments
Bulldog Whittler.jpg
geocash
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice one. ::tu::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

geocash wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:27 pm You might assume, correctly, that I like Bulldog Brand knives just because I'm here. I have four Bulldogs & five Fight'n Rooster knives & expect anything from Fredrich Olbertz to be well-made. I don't have any celluloid in the house & don't want any. However, that reduces my choices plus I generally don't care for club knives or etches that represent something other than the brand. I'm not trying to criticize any one else's preferences so, if that's something you like, that's fine because I like a lot of stuff that no one else seems to. Anyway, I recently got a fifth Bulldog, this stag Whittler with a "2008" tang stamp. It also has a "USA" stamp so I believe it was made by GEC. With its walk & talk & fit & finish I can easily believe GEC made it. What do ya'll think?
Cool share! ::tu::
I got this one that has a unique engraving. 🇺🇸
Attachments
20210926_142257.jpg
20210926_141353.jpg
20210926_141247.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

geocash: You have a beautiful whittler. The USA Bulldogs are always pleasing. I generally find the quality of German made BDs to be quite fine as well.

Loose Arrow: It would be great to know the history of your BD. Who had it engraved, for whom, etc.?
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:15 am geocash: You have a beautiful whittler. The USA Bulldogs are always pleasing. I generally find the quality of German made BDs to be quite fine as well.

Loose Arrow: It would be great to know the history of your BD. Who had it engraved, for whom, etc.?
Wish I could tell you QS. ::facepalm::
I bought it off of eBay with no description or information regarding its engraving. ::shrug::
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

Appreciate it doglegg, Loose Arrow & Quick Steel.
Loose Arrow, I do like that Wharncliffe, if that's what yours is.
I don't recall ever seeing a Bulldog made by Queen although I probably have & just didn't recognize it. I need to learn a lot more but somehow I did recognize this one as made by GEC & I'm glad I did.
geocash
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

geocash wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 pm Appreciate it doglegg, Loose Arrow & Quick Steel.
I don't recall ever seeing a Bulldog made by Queen although I probably have & just didn't recognize it. I need to learn a lot more but somehow I did recognize this one as made by GEC & I'm glad I did.
Yes, sorry to have confused you, I meant QS as in Quick Steel not Queen. ::handshake::
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:39 pm
geocash wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 pm Appreciate it doglegg, Loose Arrow & Quick Steel.
Yes, sorry to have confused you, I meant QS as in Quick Steel not Queen. ::handshake::
Queen did make a sowbelly whittler for Bulldog in 1995, high quality knives!!

Tom
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

Three days ago I posted a picture of a USA Bulldog Brand Whittler I got recently & concluded that it was made by GEC. Since then I've read some older threads & found a litter mate to my Bulldog. In the thread "American Made Bulldogs" on August 16, 2020 the fifth post is by Rustle47. He showed 4 Bulldogs made by Queen, dated 2007 & 2008, & said that somewhere he had a Moose made in 1996 by Queen for Bulldog. His photos are much better than mine so in his photo of the Whittler made by Queen you can see the number 035 on the bolster. You can't see my bolster as clearly but it has 064 on it.
geocash
Rustle47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rustle47 »

Thanks for looking at my post, geocash. I bought those knives new and then added a note with the manufacturer's name to back up my poor memory. They are also listed in a spreadsheet where I enter each knife I purchase, so I'm reasonably confident I am right.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

Rustle47 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:55 pm Thanks for looking at my post, geocash. I bought those knives new and then added a note with the manufacturer's name to back up my poor memory. They are also listed in a spreadsheet where I enter each knife I purchase, so I'm reasonably confident I am right.
And thank you for posting it. The answer to just about any question I come up with is on here somewhere. Plus, I learn a lot & have a good time while I look.
geocash
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Loose Arrow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:26 pm
geocash wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Cool share! ::tu::
I got this one that has a unique engraving. 🇺🇸

That is one interesting knife! I would like to know the history as have said ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 am That is one interesting knife! I would like to know the history as have said ::nod::
I can't tell you much other than it's a double dog head bulldog made in 2002 and 2003, 4-1/8" closed "Thor" model, book says there were 60 made in carbon steel.
Attachments
20211013_182019.jpg
20211013_181403~2.jpg
20211013_180911~2.jpg
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Only 60...made in carbon steel ::hmm:: To me that makes it even more special and unique ::nod:: Very nice! Thanks ::handshake::

Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Scored this one recently, large congress, 1985. ::woot::
Attachments
20220124_173528~2.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds:: Outrageously good.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:43 am ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds:: Outrageously good.
::groove:: ::tu::

Return to “European-made knives”