BULLDOG COLLECTORS

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

BULLDOG COLLECTORS

Post by Quick Steel »

Reviewing the BullDog forum, I see there are a number of collectors who, as far as I can tell, have not posted anything for quite some time.
It would be great if you could post your current collections with photos and whatever information/comments you may have about them. Photos need not be "beauty shots."
roofmedics

Re: BULLDOG COLLECTORS

Post by roofmedics »

kinda new to the group. started collecting a couple years ago. trying to keep it simple. Muskrat 1995-big and small sunfish with sunfish etch-sowbelly with peacocks-and bowies I will get pics up soon. i also have some casexx, queen, fallniven njord, fightn rooster, kabar. I guess my only question is i have been buying alot of prototypes and some are BD 00. Will this matter in the end. all my knives in in glass display. no hands on them. Also looking for a great price guide. Bulldogs are hard to get an idea of what they are worth before buying. Thanks Al
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

On pricing the usual suggestion is to go on Ebay and see what kind of prices are being asked and what is actually sold. A few of the prices seem to me to be excessive on knives with special features. You might go to the AAPK stores; type in Bulldog and then observe what our sellers are asking. I think you will find more consistent/fairer pricing than on a lot of the ebay stuff.There are lots of sunfish and peacock BDs on ebay.

Sounds like you have a good collection. Hope you will post those photos. Good luck.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

roofmedics wrote:kinda new to the group. started collecting a couple years ago. trying to keep it simple. Muskrat 1995-big and small sunfish with sunfish etch-sowbelly with peacocks-and bowies I will get pics up soon. i also have some casexx, queen, fallniven njord, fightn rooster, kabar. I guess my only question is i have been buying alot of prototypes and some are BD 00. Will this matter in the end. all my knives in in glass display. no hands on them. Also looking for a great price guide. Bulldogs are hard to get an idea of what they are worth before buying. Thanks Al

Welcome to the forum ::handshake:: I sure hope that prototype serial number 0 is worth more, because I have paid dearly for those that I have.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

SSK, Just spent sometime in the Bulldog threads looking for any of your BD knives you might have posted. No luck. Would you be willing to show some your knives or direct me to them if already posted?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:SSK, Just spent sometime in the Bulldog threads looking for any of your BD knives you might have posted. No luck. Would you be willing to show some your knives or direct me to them if already posted?
I wasn’t clear on that, I don’t have any BD prototypes. I do have a few Case prototypes. Here is one that I have. Sorry to pollute this Bulldog thread w/ something other than BD. I have not collected BD’s in the past and don’t have a single one in my collection, yet. I am getting anxious to collect some after all that I have been reading about them on here.
Below is mid folding hunter in beautiful red bone. Notice that it’s serial number is 000. Paid a pretty penny for this one.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4280.jpeg
IMG_4281.jpeg
IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_4283.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

SSK, Sorry I misinterpreted your post. The red bone on your Case looks superb. In the case of Case, I think many collectors will pay a premium for your serial number. Lesser brands sometimes use serial numbers or prototypes as a gimmick. Can a knife be called a prototype if a hundred copies were made? But again, your knife is beautiful.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:SSK, Sorry I misinterpreted your post. The red bone on your Case looks superb. In the case of Case, I think many collectors will pay a premium for your serial number. Lesser brands sometimes use serial numbers or prototypes as a gimmick. Can a knife be called a prototype if a hundred copies were made? But again, your knife is beautiful.

QS, that’s a good question. I have a Bark River that says Prototype on it, but not sure if it is actually a prototype or if that’s the name of the knife. Have no idea if it’s one of a kind or one of a hundred?
Thanks,
SSk
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Given the quality of Bark River, I'm guessing it is a true prototype with just a couple made, say 2 or 3. Might be worth a phone call inquiry.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Given the quality of Bark River, I'm guessing it is a true prototype with just a couple made, say 2 or 3. Might be worth a phone call inquiry.

Good idea. I hadn’t even heard of Bark River at the time. It was at a gun and knife shoe in Dayton Oh. Some gun dealer must have taken it for a gun and wanted to get rid of it. I recognized the quality immediately and made an offer and he took it. Didn’t realize exactly what I had until I looked up Bark River and got hooked on their knives. It is a great knife, I will have to figure out how rare it is and go from there.
I know the folks at Bark River are really nice about helping, they have a great reputation.
SSk
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Posting what I consider the rarest bulldog out there BKC# 49 with the Pit Bull terrier etch and the Winchester stamp. I looked for this knife 25 years.

Thanks for looking ::tu:: ::tu::

Tom
Attachments
074.JPG
074.JPG (26.29 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

olderdogs1, Hearty congratulations on your great find. Can you tell us anything about how this oddity came to be?
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

According to the Germans, this was the 1st bulldog ever made. Only 28 were produced . In the Pocket Knife Traders Guide written in 2004 by Jim Parker, it was valued at $750.00.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wow! Today that is likely worth above a thousand, I would think. Maybe I should't say that in case you ever decide to sell it. :)
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I like the way you appreciate the book ::tu::

Tom
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Given the lack of availability of the 2004 guide and the high prices on the older guides, I wonder if you would ever consider putting together a simple list of BDs with your estimate of current values. This could be something quite simple, just some pages of lists stapled together showing patterns, handle materials, generation, or anything else you wish to include. What do you think?
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Yes I would. I have a couple of projects I need to complete before this one. Hopefully it won’t take too long.
Tom
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That would be tremendous Thomas. ::groove::
TheGoat13

Post by TheGoat13 »

Wow, now thats a piece of BD history there.

Return to “European-made knives”