Info on this knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
gdaddy824

Info on this knife

Post by gdaddy824 »

Can anyone tell me more about this knife other than I know it is a 4 blade congress in stag.
I.e... year produced? how many? etc...
thanks
Bulldog Congress tobacco a.jpg
rexstubbins

Re: Info on this knife

Post by rexstubbins »

Hey there gdaddy. Welcome to the forums.

If I had to venture a guess this is a first gen 1983 BKC 171.

There is a great section here on the forums dedicated to Bull Dog branded knives.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ors-guide/

Jim Parkers Volume 7 Pocket Knife Traders Guide from 2004 lists knife value at $175 but of course this was in 2004.

Nice lookin knife. I have a few Bull Dog's myself.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Lookig a little further into this it could even be a BKC 186. I cannot find a picture but Parker's guide lists the BKC 186 as 1983 stag handle, bar shield, 4 blade 3-7/8" congress with Tobacco etch. 1 of 1 made. $225 mint in 2004 dollars. If I find a pic I will post.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
gdaddy824

Post by gdaddy824 »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
What I forgot to mention is that this knife supposedly is 3 and 7/16 inches long closed, not 3 and 7/8 inches.
It is on the way to me so I can't measure it myself until it gets here.
Does that make you think any differently?
Thanks again
gdaddy824 / Harold
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Be interesting when you get it in hand but I do not think it is a 1st generation knife. It is definitely not of the tobacco set mentioned in the other posts as it would be dated 1983 and would also have the Grooved bolsters. Bulldog made a knife similar to this in 1982, not dated but the main blade had a Pit Bulls Trademark etch as opposed to the Tobacco etch that this one has. Better pictures when you get it is hand would help identify it further. Yes there were knives put together in the 90's that were supposed to replicate the older ones and in fact some are nearly impossible to tell apart. This particular frame was the one most widely used. The 1st generation quality is something that can't be photographed but is usually evident when the knife is in hand.

Tom
gdaddy824

Post by gdaddy824 »

Thank you sir for your reply.
I don't have a camera right now to take pics but otherwise I can add that it has the fighting dogs on all blades. It is 3 and 7/8 inches closed.
It has half stops on all blades.
It has the match strike nail pick on all blades.
The stag handles are very nice, a little "fat" but not the usual "fat". Feel very good in hand.
It has the Bulldog Brand, Hammer Forged, and Soligen, Germany on the back of the main blade.
The pen blade and coping blade have the two fighting dogs with Hand Made on one side and nothing on the other side of them.
The sheepsfoot blade has the 2 fighting dogs with Hand Made under them on one side and the writing Bulldog Brand, Hammer Forged, Solingen, Germany on the other side. The first part of the tang up to the notch does not seem to be as wide as the 1st gen MOP one I got from you. And,
the stamping looks to be a bit smaller as is the stamp of the dogs compared to the MOP one that I got from you.
Thanks again for any additional.
gdaddy824

Return to “European-made knives”