Steel ID

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Steel ID

Post by geocash »

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. Someone please tell me what formula was used for the steel in the blades on this Colonel Coon. It's their #49 Stockman, built on a Queen's #49 pattern:
Attachments
EDC122a.jpg
geocash
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Steel ID

Post by carrmillus »

.....don't know about the steel, but I LIKE it!!!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

It is a Colonel Coon in name only, so I would guess the steel is whatever Queen was using at the time, doubt it is D2 or ATS-34, probably 420HC.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Montanaman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm It is a Colonel Coon in name only, so I would guess the steel is whatever Queen was using at the time, doubt it is D2 or ATS-34, probably 420HC.
Did Queen also use 440C for their stainless blades ?
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:39 pm
Montanaman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm It is a Colonel Coon in name only, so I would guess the steel is whatever Queen was using at the time, doubt it is D2 or ATS-34, probably 420HC.
Did Queen also use 440C for their stainless blades ?
kj
Up through the mid to late 70's, yes, then switched to 440A. Then later to 420HC and D2. All D2 knives were tang stamped PH-D2.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Steve. Good to have this info posted here as 'forgetfulness' definitely increases with age.
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

geocash wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:26 pm Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. Someone please tell me what formula was used for the steel in the blades on this Colonel Coon. It's their #49 Stockman, built on a Queen's #49 pattern:
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, as well!!

With a knife that looks that good, and the fact it's a product by Queen, does it really matter what steel it's sportin'? :wink: :wink: :D

Should you find out it's a steel you're not keen on, let me know. I'll send you my address, you send me the knife, and it shall trouble you no more. :lol:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Looks great geocash! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

Thank you, everybody. Since Queen was using their own pattern it makes sense they would also use their own materials so I feel pretty good about 420HC.

Steve, I appreciate you generosity but don't get too excited. This would be one of the last knives I would part with.
geocash
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

geocash wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm
Steve, I appreciate you generosity but don't get too excited. This would be one of the last knives I would part with.
You're a wise man 😊
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

All of my Queen made Colonel Coon folding knives that came in boxes came in orange two piece boxes that have "high carbon 440 stainless blades" written on one end. When 440 is not advertised as having a higher alphabet suffix than A it is safe to assume that it is 440A. During the years they were made Queen's standard stainless was 420HC. In use I doubt that you'd be able to tell one from the other.

While many of Queen's Robeson pocket knives are stamped PH-D2 I have not seen that stamp on a Queen made Colonel Coon.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all the Queen made Robesons and Colonel Coons were made for SMKW.

By the way, that is a beautiful stag #49. Is there any chance that you'll treat us to a picture of its pile side?
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by geocash »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:54 pm All of my Queen made Colonel Coon folding knives that came in boxes came in orange two piece boxes that have "high carbon 440 stainless blades" written on one end. When 440 is not advertised as having a higher alphabet suffix than A it is safe to assume that it is 440A. During the years they were made Queen's standard stainless was 420HC. In use I doubt that you'd be able to tell one from the other.

While many of Queen's Robeson pocket knives are stamped PH-D2 I have not seen that stamp on a Queen made Colonel Coon.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all the Queen made Robesons and Colonel Coons were made for SMKW.

By the way, that is a beautiful stag #49.Is there any chance that you'll treat us to a picture of its pile side?
Very good. Your comment motivated me to find the box & look more carefully. I thought it just had "CC49" but on the other end, in small light print, it has "high carbon 440 stainless blades" just as you said. Well, I had the answer all along but at least I got to show off the knife. And since you asked so nicely, of course I'll show the other side, too. Thanks.
Attachments
EDC122b.jpg
geocash
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Its sides are very well matched. Both look great!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:46 pm Thank you Steve. Good to have this info posted here as 'forgetfulness' definitely increases with age.
kj
...wait till you turn 83!!!!........ ::facepalm:: ...............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...correction..83.75!!!!......... ::td:: ::td:: ...........

Return to “Colonel Coon”