Is it a Coon?

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
bkazz5

Is it a Coon?

Post by bkazz5 »

I was fortunate to add a couple more to my collection last night and one seems to be a bit of a mystery. So, I thought I would post and let the experts weigh in.

I purchased these from a man who says he bought them years ago from Adrian at a show. Says he picked up the catalog at the same time. The first knife is an 81’ Golden Circle muskrat. Very nice knife and I am glad to have it but not unusual as we have all seen them. The second knife at first glance appeared to be identical to one that I already have but then I realized that it has a GE badge where the Colonel Coon badge would normally be and it is stamped “OLD CUT LaGrange KY USA”. Everything about this knife leads me to believe that it is a knife that came from the Colonel Coon shop. The color of the bone, the blade etching, the box it came in, the fact that it was purchased directly from Adrian, even the number stamped on the front bolster.

So, the question is, have you seen this knife before? Is it a Colonel Coon made knife? Has anyone ever heard of Oldham Cutlery out of LaGrange KY. I attached pics (forgive my amateur photography skills). I also attached some pics of the catalog which I found to be very interesting. It is an early catalog – January 1981.
Attachments
Col Coon.jpg
Box.jpg
Tang Stamp.jpg
Blade Etch.jpg
GE.jpg
Cat 4.jpg
Cat 3.jpg
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Re: Is it a Coon?

Post by reddirtknives »

I don't know shinola about Col. Coon knives but I heard once by a fella that they only put the handles on knives and that the parts were made by someone else but I can't remember who.This may or may not be true but they would be the ones peening the shields on. It looks like they did some SFO's too. WOW I wonder how many GE employees got one of those? Not many is my guess...
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
mnstuff

Post by mnstuff »

Yes i beleive it is a contract knife made at tennessee knife works. There are many special order knives that dont have the colonel coon tang and shield manufactured by Adrian. However i do have a ge shield that is part of the remaining knife parts from Ben Wells. So in my opionion it is a true coon. I would add it to my collection in a heartbeat. If you make it to crossville tn in august you can ask Adrian about it yourself.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Thanks for the info. I was fairly certain it was a coon and appreciate your additional info. I do intend to be in Crossville and will bring the knife along with me. Maybe we can meet up.
mnstuff

Post by mnstuff »

Hope to see you in Crossville and we will talk. Ill be set up showing my meager collection.
ken6

Post by ken6 »

See you talking about Crossville, TN - is there a show there in August?? Do you have the date and location? Thanks.
Ken Spielvogel - The "Accumulator" of knives- "The Talking Knives"
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Show in Crossville is August 3rd and 4th. Go to http://colonelcoon.net/ for more info. If you like Colonel Coons it is the place to be. I've gone two years now and plan on being there again this year. Adrian Harris, founder of Colonel Coon, will be there. He is a heck of a nice guy and always fun to talk to.

I'll see you there mnstuff.
ken6

Post by ken6 »

Thanks, i am going to try and make it.
Ken Spielvogel - The "Accumulator" of knives- "The Talking Knives"
randyl3851

Post by randyl3851 »

mnstuff wrote:Yes i beleive it is a contract knife made at tennessee knife works. There are many special order knives that dont have the colonel coon tang and shield manufactured by Adrian. However i do have a ge shield that is part of the remaining knife parts from Ben Wells. So in my opionion it is a true coon. I would add it to my collection in a heartbeat. If you make it to crossville tn in august you can ask Adrian about it yourself.
I am in need of a Colonel Coon emblem the CC made by Queen.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Wish I could help but don't have one. You might check with Smokey Mountain Knife works. They own the Colonel Coon brand now (i think). Maybe they can get you one.
Cutmyself

Post by Cutmyself »

Hi I was just curious, were you able to determine if this was in fact a Colonel Coon knife? Thanks
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Yes it is. Confirmed by Adrian Harris, founder of Tennessee Knife Works.
Cutmyself

Post by Cutmyself »

Thanks, I thought it was and I just got one for a song, you made my day! ::ds:: ::ds::
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Awesome. Isn't it the best when you stumble on to a good knife at a great deal. You have any other Col Coons?
Cutmyself

Post by Cutmyself »

Yes I have 24 total. I tried to post a new thread about a two bladed Coon I have but it did not show up for some reason.
How about you, do you have a lot of them?
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

I've been collecting Colonel Coons since the early 80's. I have accumulated a few.
Cutmyself

Post by Cutmyself »

They are getting hard to find, and when you do they command quite a price.
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

If not its still a nice piece

Return to “Colonel Coon”