Early Colonel Coon Barlow

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
SoldiersRetreat

Early Colonel Coon Barlow

Post by SoldiersRetreat »

I have an early mint Colonel Coon stag Barlow with his name etched/stamped on an inside liner. Do all his early knives have this stamp inside? When did it start? When did it end? Are these knives more desirable? Do they bring a higher value? Just fishing for information? If you can help it would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Bob
Cutmyself

Re: Early Colonel Coon Barlow

Post by Cutmyself »

No they all do not have his name on the inside of the liner.
It would be worth more to me having that added feature from a collecting standpoint. I think I remember reading something about what time frame he did that but can’t remember maybe someone else can help out with that.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

So the story is, told to me by Adrian Harris, that in the early days of Colonel Coon production there was talk that they were not building their own knives so Adrian went into the shop, grabbed a "handfull" of liners. stamped his name on them and through them back in the parts bin. Getting a barlow with his name inside the liner is completely random and there is no documentation of how many exist. If you have one you are fortunate. It is hard to get a good pic of the name down in the liner but here's the best I could do. - Bryan
Attachments
barlow adrian.jpg
20211107_090640.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool knife history. 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Bob I would love to see a pic of your knife. I have seen barlows with the name stamp that are stag and some that have the corn cob jig. What is yours?

Return to “Colonel Coon”