My friend sold this to me as a Camillus but im pretty sure its Canal Streets right?

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
damigg

My friend sold this to me as a Camillus but im pretty sure its Canal Streets right?

Post by damigg »

And in a very great shape too, been googling around and cant find any in this condition.
Attachments
IMG20220514133736 (2).jpg
IMG20220514133746.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My friend sold this to me as a Camillus but im pretty sure its Canal Streets right?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

damigg wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:29 pm And in a very great shape too, been googling around and cant find any in this condition.
Camco was an economy line made by Camillus.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Beavertail

Re: My friend sold this to me as a Camillus but im pretty sure its Canal Streets right?

Post by Beavertail »

It was made by Camillus.
Nice knife! ::tu::
Tim
damigg

Post by damigg »

Oh okey... I found a thread of the same knife at Camillus sub-forum and it was moved here because people said it wasn't Camillus. You mean Canal Streets was Camillus' economy line?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

damigg wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:39 pm Oh okey... I found a thread of the same knife at Camillus sub-forum and it was moved here because people said it wasn't Camillus. You mean Canal Streets was Camillus' economy line?
Here is the thread on Camco, which was made by Camillus.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=27212
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Forget Canal Street. Canal Street has nothing to do with it.

CAMCO was an inexpensive line made by Camillus.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

It says CAMCO on the tang. Not sure how you interpret that as Canal Street. (CAM)illus (CO)mpany. As previously stated, it was manufactured by Camillus.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

CAMCO was a lower end (inexpensive) brand name of Camillus Cutlery. They
started using the CAMCO brand some time post-WWII, and it continued to be used until some time in the 1980s.

Canal Street Cutlery was started in 2005 by former employees of Schrade. It was in business for about 10 years before going bankrupt. However I believe a few of the cutlers who worked there may still be making a few knifes using the name Canal Street Co-op.

In summary CAMCO was a brand name owned by Camillus, whereas Canal Street was not started until well after CAMCO ceased to be. No relationship between them exists.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
damigg

Post by damigg »

Very much thanks to all of you for this awesome info, Im actually glad it's Camillus because Im on a quest getting all Camillus BK&T's and this really has nothind do with that, but I like Camillus' knives. Shame not that known of a knife maker here is northern Finland ( And even harder getting those BK&T's) , trying to spread the word.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi damigg, Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::
Camillus made a lot of knives for other manufacturers, which may be the reason that they're not as well-known in your country. They made knives for Case, Boker, Buck, Craftsman, Remington, Wards, Sears, Hibbert, Spencer & Barton, and many other hardware companies and hardware store supply companies. There was also a myriad of knives imported from Germany by Adolph Kastor who essentially began Camillus Cutlery. These knives were under a variety of names for a number of different companies. Most were from Germany though some were from England and some even made by other companies here in the US. You can find a list the brand names Adolph Kastor used on the knives he had made in Germany.
Here is the link: http://strazors.com/uploads/images/arti ... orlist.pdf

You already know that Camco was an economy brand made by Camillus. They were less expensive because they didn't put as much finish work into the knives and the blades were usually thinner than the same pattern under the Camillus name. There were a couple of other names that Camillus used Stainless Cutlery was one of their brands and Sword Brand. Sword Brand was the top brand of Camillus. They had the best materials in the best workmanship and they were tang stamped Sword Brand until after World War II and they generally had the Sword Brand logo etched on the blade. There was another brand called Silver Sword which was introduced in 1979.

This link should take you to a post I made with a little of the history from Camillus on the Sword Brand and the Silver Sword brands.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=63825&p=760792&hil ... rd#p760792

I hope this is helpful.
Welcome to AAPK and I hope you stick around a while. ::tu::
Your country, Finland, produces some excellent knives!
I am becoming a fan of knives from Finland, as well as Norway and Denmark.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”