My Muskrat has passed away

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
dundak

My Muskrat has passed away

Post by dundak »

I’ve owned a Caramel bone 2 blade muskrat for years. It has 064 engraved on the bolster. It was my Sunday social knife. Mainly used to cut strings, pare an apple or slice a tomato at Sunday socials.

I was proud of that knife. Slim single spring, with long bolsters and beautiful sunken joints. The epitome of American knife making.

It has not seen a lot of use lately due to COVId and the downturn in social get togethers.

Today we were going to have a local maple syrup boil. Where everyone brings their sap to make syrup ,have an outside get together and cookout. It would have been a perfect reason to carry old faithful.

Opened the sock drawer to put it in pocket and … both blades just flopped open. The back spring had broken and half of it was laying quiet in the drawer. My dad used to say when backsprings fail they go quietly when no one is looking.

I’ll miss the knife and the company that made it. It was a loyal companion and nice showpiece for years. Just goes to show that even safe queens are not immune to the ravages of time.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Muskrat has passed away

Post by btrwtr »

Sorry for your loss.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I am sorry too. The exact same thing happened to me- just lying in the drawer. :( You best be looking for a replacement of some kind!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

well that sucks swamp water through a flavor straw. whoda thunk something like that could happen. Sounds like it committed suicide. Just too old to cut the mustard any more. May it rest in pieces. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That really stinks! It’s a sad day when an old friend gives up the ghost.

I hope you find a good replacement.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
dundak

Post by dundak »

Thanks for the condolences guys.
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

dundak wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:02 pm Thanks for the condolences guys.
Sorry for your loss, Friend, when your "grievances" goes away I have a couple of Muskrats to replace your musky just give me a shout Lance of LDF Knives.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Any possibility of replacing the backspring?

Sorry this happened to you.

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

rea1eye wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:24 am Any possibility of replacing the backspring? . . .

That was my thought- find a POS Knife of the same maker and year and have a new backspring put in, if the blades are decent. If it's a Case knife, you could probably send it off to have them do the repair. 😉 Just a thought.

edit* just saw this is on the Canal Street forum, Eric (ea42) might be able to help you.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I wonder if it was one of the earlier ones made with Queen parts? Queen backsprings are notorious for breaking.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I would reach out to Eric Albers (ea42)

He is Mr. Canal Street and may be able to repair it for you!

Tom

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”