Canal Street Collection

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Adam1592

Canal Street Collection

Post by Adam1592 »

Hello everyone. I just recently stumbled upon this forum trying to do some research on my dads knife collection I received after his passing. Hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction when it comes to putting a value on some of these Canal Street knives. Seems to be a little harder finding info on the smaller knife companies. I have attached some pictures to give an idea what im working with. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Adam
Attachments
IMG_20210224_115435.jpg
IMG_20210224_115448.jpg
IMG_20210224_115443.jpg
IMG_20210224_115426.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Collection

Post by doglegg »

Adam, sorry for the loss of your father. It appears he had an amazing collection. I am not the one to help you but some one should be along. A bit of a daunting task. ::uc:: ::handshake::
Adam1592

Post by Adam1592 »

doglegg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm Adam, sorry for the loss of your father. It appears he had an amazing collection. I am not the one to help you but some one should be along. A bit of a daunting task. ::uc:: ::handshake::
I appreciate your kind words. His knives were his passion and he still lives through them. This is only a small portion of the whole collection.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Nice Collection I sent a email ::handshake::
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

So sorry regarding the loss of your father. If you know he had any favorites
or you take a liking to some, save some for you to keep. You will
not regret it.

Bob
Adam1592

Post by Adam1592 »

rea1eye wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 pm So sorry regarding the loss of your father. If you know he had any favorites
or you take a liking to some, save some for you to keep. You will
not regret it.

Bob
Thank you for your kind words. As to the collection, I will most definitely be hanging on to a lot of them.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK!

Since Canal Street went out of business and made pristine knives, you can probably easily put a "1" in front of that $79.99 sticker. ::nod:: Do an eBay Completed Listings search, you'll see what I'm talking about. 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Do your homework, watch out for flippers.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Adam,

I am Sorry for your Loss. Welcome to the site! I will tell you that your father had a keen eye for what knives to collect. I too am a collector of the Canal Street Knives and I have somewhere between 400-500 Canal Street knives in my collection. In looking at your photos, it appears he purchased a lot of the knives thru AG Russell (The colored label/stickers). In saying that he paid a little higher price for the knives.

Canal Street Knives are gaining in value as there just aren't that many of them that folks are selling. Canal Street Cutlery went out of business in 2015, they tried some specialty made knives for Red Hill Cutlery and then finally ceased production.

ea42, a member here at AAPK, worked at the Canal Street Cutlery factory and he continues to make his own line of knives (Alber's Cutlery).

My Uncle was a Custom Knife Maker and Master Cutler for Schrade USA and Canal Street Cutlery.

I would be happy to assist you in any way that I can, all you need to do is ask!

Respectfully,

Tom (Chase is my name here on AAPK)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Hi Adam. I don't have quite the collection my buddy Chase has but I do have a couple hundred Canal Street knives. If I can help you in any way I'll be glad to do so.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Adam1592

Post by Adam1592 »

Can not thank everyone enough for their kind words and helpful info. Shortly after making this post I got in contact with Eric Albers and helped me out more than I could have ever imagined. Also got in touch with a great collector on here and was able to pass some along into their collection.

Again thank you all for everything.
Best regards,
Adam

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”