Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience. The company they created is located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century.
RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Postby RalphAlsip » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:39 am

Supposedly there were only 5 knives made with the Wildebeest handles. The good folks at Red Hill confirmed there were 5 made and one was shipped before they got a picture so the picture shown above is 80% the total wildebeest run.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 am

Just what part of the wildebeast do you suppose that is from. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:31 am

gsmith7158 wrote:Just what part of the wildebeast do you suppose that is from. ::shrug::

I'm no anthropologist, but it looks like it might come from the (front?) leg between the knee and the hoof.
https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/wildebeest-stabilized-750-593-p-8041.html

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby philco » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 am

I totally missed the boat on this Canal Street offering. Any of you guys have a suggestion on how I may avoid this in the future ? :(
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

boykinlp

Postby boykinlp » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:15 am

RalphAlsip wrote:Just got notice that my Wildebeest pinch lock back has shipped ::ds:: I won't know the handle coloration and texture until I open the package.

All of them look fantastic to me. I look forward to seeing some close-up pics of your knife when it arrives.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.

KAW

Postby KAW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 am

RalphAlsip wrote:Supposedly there were only 5 knives made with the Wildebeest handles. The good folks at Red Hill confirmed there were 5 made and one was shipped before they got a picture so the picture shown above is 80% the total wildebeest run.

Did anyone else notice that two have two pins at the end & the other two have three?
Wonder why the extra pin?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm

KAW wrote:Did anyone else notice that two have two pins at the end & the other two have three?
Wonder why the extra pin?

I believe 3 pins is typical and the 2 pin examples are atypical. My thought when I saw this was that the smoother handles got the 2 pin treatment and the rougher / grooved handles got the 3 pin treatment.

RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:00 am

Here are pictures of the Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest knife I received today. I believe it is the knife at the top of pile in the picture that Red Hill posted on Facebook that is shown earlier in this thread.

The Wildebeest handles are gorgeous! ::tu:: ::tu:: The fit and finish of the handles and the places where bone meets bolster, etc., are smooth with no snags. The knife opens smoothly and locks up tight with a reassuring snap. It snaps closed. The blade is super sharp. In short, if you were familiar with products produced by Canal Street Cutlery between approximately 2005 and 2015 my experience with this one sample makes it seem like the Canal Street Co-op knives are pretty much carrying forward the same tradition of well-made knives. Congratulations to Wally and the members of the Co-op on their relaunch. ::clapping::

My one minor complaint is the pile side tang has a spot that seems like it wasn't polished completely (see picture below). I've rubbed it with a chamois without much effect. I might try something more aggressive like a pencil lead tomorrow.

For comparison, I included a comparison picture of a circa 2012 Canal Street Pinch Lockback handled in black water buffalo horn. I have often carried this knife. One difference I noticed is how the handle pins on the older knife are polished smooth and flat to the bolster vs. the spun(?) pins on the newer knife. I likely won't be carrying the Wildebeest since it is about 3 time the cost of the black buffalo horn. :)

I really hope to see the Squeeze lockback and the Cannitler make a comeback in a nice handle material like the Wildebeest.
Attachments
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Front & Back.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Front & Back
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Top & Bottom.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest #3 small.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest #4 small.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Tang Closeups.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Tang Close Ups
Canal Street Compare Pinch Lockback Wildebeest to Black Buffalo Horn.jpg

Montanaman
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Montanaman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Great looking knife and pics, thanks for sharing.
Kris

"A knife is a tool, and if we don't treat our tools with a certain familiar contempt, we lose perspective"
R.W.L

KAW

Postby KAW » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Very knice lookin' knife... actually both of them are (I like the black water buffalo horn also)... 8) ::tu::

RalphAlsip wrote: One difference I noticed is how the handle pins on the older knife are polished smooth and flat to the bolster vs. the spun(?) pins on the newer knife.

Interesting notation about the pins. I received the new Co-op's American Chestnut Pinch Lockback back at the end of August & it has the flat polished pins. I wonder if its a variation due to it being different makers within the co-op?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)

Montanaman
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Montanaman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:23 pm

It has been 4 months since I paid for a stag boys knife, zero communication from RHC. The fit and finish would have to perfect for me to care at this point.
Kris

"A knife is a tool, and if we don't treat our tools with a certain familiar contempt, we lose perspective"
R.W.L

RalphAlsip
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby RalphAlsip » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Montanaman wrote:It has been 4 months since I paid for a stag boys knife, zero communication from RHC. The fit and finish would have to perfect for me to care at this point.

If you are interested, I can PM you a phone number for the person who handles the Canal Street knife orders at RHC. I agree the communication could be better from RHC especially given that the initial timeline set forth has not been met.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby philco » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm in the same boat regarding the stag boys knife. When the new line was launched I ordered one of the knives and was later contacted letting me know that they had oversold them and I would not be receiving one. I was offered the stag knife in place of the one I ordered and was told it would be a month or so before they would become available. I agreed to the substitution. Like Kris, I have yet to hear another thing from them regarding the knife they promised me. I don't think it's Canal Streets fault. I think RHC has done a poor job on their end of this transaction...…..twice!
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

Montanaman
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Montanaman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 pm

RalphAlsip wrote:If you are interested, I can PM you a phone number for the person who handles the Canal Street knife orders at RHC. I agree the communication could be better from RHC especially given that the initial timeline set forth has not been met.

Thanks, much appreciated, might take you up on that if I don't hear anything by Tgiving. I feel they should have produced the knives first, then put the small numbers up for sale.
Kris

R.W.L

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby glennbad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm in the same boat for the stag knife. IIRC, the others took a little longer to finish/ship, and they were in front of the stags. I wouldn't be too worried. If Eric is involved, I'm confident we'll get them.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum”