Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by philco »

Glenn I PM'd Eric several days ago and he told me then he was one of the cutlers involved in this new endeavor. Like you, I think he's a very skilled knife maker as well as a real good guy. :)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'm definitely involved folks, actually made all those sample knives Red Hill has in their photos. Their pictures came out kind of weird, looks like the blades shrunk lol! I didn't take any shots of what I made except for this one of the Bowie/trapper set:
Canal Street Cutlery Camel Bone Set.jpg
I'm really excited about this, should be a lot of fun (and work!! ::nod:: )

Eric
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Eric,
That looks really nice. I am excited about Canal Street being back in business again. I am new to collecting and have never had one, so I hope to remedy that. You said you made the knives for the pictures, I was wondering why there was no stag pictured?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Eric is involved as one of the Cutlers. He is also "THE" Authorized Canal Street Repairman

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Larry, the stag knives were added to the order after I did the samples, probably a last minute addition.

Eric
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

A cool idea would be to add a card that came with each knife to authenticate which cutler made each knife - much in the same way some small batch bourbons and scotches are packaged.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

In the Red Hill description of the new knives, the Pinch with brown canvas micarta scales includes a picture of the reverse side that shows a second shield: "Red Hill Exclusive".

The descriptions of the other knives do not show a picture of the reverse side.

Does anyone know if all of the "Co op" knives will have that "Red Hill Exclusive" shield on the reverse side?

Also, does anyone know if there is any significant difference to the Red Hill descriptions: "out of stock" and 'sold out" in the various "Co op" knives?

I'm glad I got my order in for a chestnut pinch. It seems they are out of stock (I assume meaning sold out) now also.

Dan
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

ea42 wrote:Larry, the stag knives were added to the order after I did the samples, probably a last minute addition.

Eric
Thanks, Eric. I look forward to seeing your work.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I got a UPS notice today letting me know my order from Basham Lumber is on the way. Great - but who the heck is Basham Lumber?? Quick google search shows me it's the parent company of Red Hill Cutlery. Neat! Looks like production is ahead of schedule. When I ordered my Chestnut Pinch it was for September delivery. UPS says I'll have it Tuesday. SWEET!!! ::groove::
- Jason
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

jxr1197 wrote:I got a UPS notice today letting me know my order from Basham Lumber is on the way. Great - but who the heck is Basham Lumber??
After a long night of imbibing and a credit card.........now you got a pallet of 2 x 4s heading your way. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::shrug::

Seriously, I look forward to your pictures on Tuesday cause I think you are getting a winner.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

Christmas in August!

As mentioned just above, the new Canal Street Co-op Pinches were supposed to be completed in September.

I received mine from Red Hill yesterday.

As shown, the knife came in a Red Hill box, inside a brown pouch, but did include the familiar slip of paper stating its origin.
The knife is not serial numbered and does not have a shield on the reverse side (as I wondered about up-thread.)
A great addition to my small collection of CS knives.
Congratulations to Mr. Gardiner, his cutlers, and Red Hill!

Dan
Attachments
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Great to see, thanks for sharing Dan.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I was talking with Redhill Cutlery this morning and it looks like they have shipped the following knives so far...

Brown Canvas Micarta Pinch

American Chestnut Pinch

Scarlet Red Bone Boy's Knife

Tom
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

What does the tang stamp say?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I believe they are going to be Canal Street Tang Stamps
When I talked with Redhill, they stated that they were looking to bring on their own brand, however, Wally made the offer and they went with Canal Street Co-op knives.

Looks like it is going to be the same Tang Stamps that were are all used to seeing, right now!

Tom
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I would hope they used a different tang stamp so we could easily differentiate between the factory made Canal Street Cutlery Co. knives and the knives produced by the new co-op.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

boykinlp wrote:After a long night of imbibing and a credit card.........now you got a pallet of 2 x 4s heading your way. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::shrug::
And that wouldn't even be the dumbest thing I've done after a few too many :shock:

My knife was waiting for me at the front door today - another Chestnut Pinch to add to the thread (and Dan, you have excellent taste in cutlery sir!)
canalstreetpinch.jpg
canalstreettang.jpg
- Jason
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

philco wrote:I would hope they used a different tang stamp so we could easily differentiate between the factory made Canal Street Cutlery Co. knives and the knives produced by the new co-op.
The stamp on the co-op knife that was shown by jxr1197 looks identical to the stamp used prior to the co-op era.
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

Not the best picture, but the tang stamp on the chestnut pinch shows

Canal Street
Cutlery Co.
USA
(3 lines, slightly curved)

same as my 2013 merlot linen Pinch from the older CSC.

Also note, the Co-op blade is 154 CM while the CSC pinches were D2 (at least my few are).

Dan
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
KAW

Post by KAW »

My American chestnut pinch arrived today. I supposedly had ordered the last one available according to the sales staff at Red Hill.
Since Dan & Jason have already posted photos no need for me duplicate their efforts. The tang stamp is the original Canal Street Cutlery factory stamp with Canal Street / Cutlery Co. in a double arch over a the straight lined USA. The knife itself is purely Canal Street Cutlery. Only the little info sheet designates it as a co-op knife & of course, the Red Hill Cutlery box reveals their association in this partnership. I'm so glad to be fortunate enough to obtain a "first run" knife of the Wally's new CSC co-op venture! ::ds:: May it be the first of many... ::tu::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I snagged 2 ::tu::
Attachments
Canal street
Canal street
Canal Street 005.JPG
Canal Street 006.JPG
KAW

Post by KAW »

Does anyone know how many of the pinch lockbacks with the chestnut handles were made?
I have read that the batch runs where to be less than 100 pieces...
and I agree with bestgear.... it would be nice to know who the cutler is for the knife I obtained.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

KAW wrote:Does anyone know how many of the pinch lockbacks with the chestnut handles were made?
I have read that the batch runs where to be less than 100 pieces...
and I agree with bestgear.... it would be nice to know who the cutler is for the knife I obtained.
Can't help you with who the cutler is, but there were less than 10 made according to the website. These first ones are very small batches.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

First post Guys ::tu:: :) Nice to meet ya !
I called Josh at Red Hills yesterday and he told me the stag boys knife was for a show they we're having in a couple weeks ,but they where put up on the web site just to test the water !
Never thinking they would go as fast as they did. Well We knew better ! I have one of those coming and a pinch in N.M. He was going to ship them together, I told him cool but it's a test of my OCD (I want it! I want it now ! ) He also said to keep on the lookout for more ! but I don't think we'll see big runs from CSC co-op , Josh said Wally want to keep the runs small, so We'll see. ::shrug::
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Airborne 1 wrote:First post Guys ::tu:: :) Nice to meet ya !
I called Josh at Red Hills yesterday and he told me the stag boys knife was for a show they we're having in a couple weeks ,but they where put up on the web site just to test the water !
Never thinking they would go as fast as they did. Well We knew better ! I have one of those coming and a pinch in N.M. He was going to ship them together, I told him cool but it's a test of my OCD (I want it! I want it now ! ) He also said to keep on the lookout for more ! but I don't think we'll see big runs from CSC co-op , Josh said Wally want to keep the runs small, so We'll see. ::shrug::
Well Airborne, hope this isn't your last post. Thanks for your input. ::tu::

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”