Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by Chase »

Canal Street is going to be making knives again....for Red Hill Cutlery!

Whoooo...Hoooo

https://redhillcutlery.com/rebirth-of-c ... -quantity/

Tom
paddlindan

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by paddlindan »

Thank you for the heads up on the restart of CSC knives!

While my collection of them is meager, (a few Pinches, a few Cannitlers, a Squeeze, a Swell Center Jack, a Stockman, and a fixed blade) I consider them to be among the best knives I own.

With the Co-op restarting, I had to put my money where my heart is, so I pre-ordered a chestnut Pinch. Overpriced? Maybe, but my way of supporting fine American craftsmanship and a worthwhile endeavor.

Here is to hoping Mr. Gardiner and his cutlers are successful!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Based on the initial details, I suspect these new Canal Street knives will be among the rarest modern knives on the market. I won't be able to buy them all, but I'm gonna buy all I can.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

As you can see they are sold out on most already and the dang things aren't even completed.

I set up with Red Hill to be notified of all Canal Street Co-op knives....I am going to try to buy one of everything....sad thing is I have already missed out on the initial offerings...

I called Wally and gave him a hard time about this...I would have thought a little heads up would have been in order....He is busier than a One-Eyed Dog in a Meat Market...lol

Tom
KAW

Post by KAW »

Are they still making them in Ellenville?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Since it is a Co-op, the Knife Makers are sort of displaced all over.

From what Wally has told me, there are several Cutlers that he has enlisted to produce knives. They are actually making the knives in their home shops. I know for sure there is one Master Cutler located in Maine and also a Cutler in NY (Middletown Area). He is also interviewing some other cutlers as well.

Wally is the only true employee of the Canal Street Co-op.

I assure you Wally isn't just hiring anyone, he is hiring professionals and these knives will be top notch. I wish that my Uncle Harold was going to be one of these elite cutlers, however, he has too much on his plate already to take on a project of this nature!

Tom
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Good info Tom, thanks for sharing. I have a stag one coming, high hopes. I have always liked CSC, the Pinch being an all time favorite.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I agree with you on the Pinch lock Back...I have almost one of every one that Canal Street produced, even the AG Russel, Moore Maker and Red Hill Cutlery specific ones.

I also have a set of 13 different handled Pinches and that set contains 3 of each handle material. What is unique about the set (A set that I put together) is that it contains a pinch lock back with a stock bolster, a factory engraved bolster and a Hand Engraved bolster by a famous Gun Engraver.

It's really a nice set.

My next two favorites are the English Barlow and the Boy's knives

Tom
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Chase wrote:I agree with you on the Pinch lock Back...I have almost one of every one that Canal Street produced, even the AG Russel, Moore Maker and Red Hill Cutlery specific ones.

I also have a set of 13 different handled Pinches and that set contains 3 of each handle material. What is unique about the set (A set that I put together) is that it contains a pinch lock back with a stock bolster, a factory engraved bolster and a Hand Engraved bolster by a famous Gun Engraver.

It's really a nice set.

My next two favorites are the English Barlow and the Boy's knives

Tom
Sounds like quite a set, Tom. I would love to see the hand engraved bolstered knife and who is the famous gun engraver?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a poor quality picture of the set I was referring too.

I am going outside now to see if I can get a better quality picture now.

The Famous engraver is Mr. Robert Burt, he did a lot of Engraving for COLT

Tom
Attachments
DSCN0390.JPG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Tom that's quite an impressive display ! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Thank you Phil!

I have removed them from that display and now have them displayed in a glass cabinet.

Here is a picture of the 3 Pinch Lock Backs, plain Bolster, Factory etching and the BURT Engraving

Then a close up of the BURT Engraving

Cell phone pictures...still not the greatest.

Tom
Attachments
3 Pinches.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is the close up view of the BURT Engraving
Attachments
BURT Closeup.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The BURT bolster engraving certainly adds to the knife - especially with the black buffalo handles.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I had read elsewhere that Eric is one of the cutlers that will be working on these. I felt that his hand in the late days of CSC was the reason for the improvement in the quality of QC. I'm glad he will be involved.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Glenn I PM'd Eric several days ago and he told me then he was one of the cutlers involved in this new endeavor. Like you, I think he's a very skilled knife maker as well as a real good guy. :)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'm definitely involved folks, actually made all those sample knives Red Hill has in their photos. Their pictures came out kind of weird, looks like the blades shrunk lol! I didn't take any shots of what I made except for this one of the Bowie/trapper set:
Canal Street Cutlery Camel Bone Set.jpg
I'm really excited about this, should be a lot of fun (and work!! ::nod:: )

Eric
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Eric,
That looks really nice. I am excited about Canal Street being back in business again. I am new to collecting and have never had one, so I hope to remedy that. You said you made the knives for the pictures, I was wondering why there was no stag pictured?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Eric is involved as one of the Cutlers. He is also "THE" Authorized Canal Street Repairman

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Larry, the stag knives were added to the order after I did the samples, probably a last minute addition.

Eric
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

A cool idea would be to add a card that came with each knife to authenticate which cutler made each knife - much in the same way some small batch bourbons and scotches are packaged.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

In the Red Hill description of the new knives, the Pinch with brown canvas micarta scales includes a picture of the reverse side that shows a second shield: "Red Hill Exclusive".

The descriptions of the other knives do not show a picture of the reverse side.

Does anyone know if all of the "Co op" knives will have that "Red Hill Exclusive" shield on the reverse side?

Also, does anyone know if there is any significant difference to the Red Hill descriptions: "out of stock" and 'sold out" in the various "Co op" knives?

I'm glad I got my order in for a chestnut pinch. It seems they are out of stock (I assume meaning sold out) now also.

Dan
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

ea42 wrote:Larry, the stag knives were added to the order after I did the samples, probably a last minute addition.

Eric
Thanks, Eric. I look forward to seeing your work.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I got a UPS notice today letting me know my order from Basham Lumber is on the way. Great - but who the heck is Basham Lumber?? Quick google search shows me it's the parent company of Red Hill Cutlery. Neat! Looks like production is ahead of schedule. When I ordered my Chestnut Pinch it was for September delivery. UPS says I'll have it Tuesday. SWEET!!! ::groove::
- Jason
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

jxr1197 wrote:I got a UPS notice today letting me know my order from Basham Lumber is on the way. Great - but who the heck is Basham Lumber??
After a long night of imbibing and a credit card.........now you got a pallet of 2 x 4s heading your way. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::shrug::

Seriously, I look forward to your pictures on Tuesday cause I think you are getting a winner.
Larry

Each one, teach one.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”