Ka-Bar Made by Canal Street

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
RalphAlsip

Re: Ka-Bar Made by Canal Street

Post by RalphAlsip »

wazu013 wrote: Ralph, If you look on the swing guard next to the patent number you'll see the letters CS stamped on it.
wazu, thank you for pointing that out! Attaching a close-up view for posterity.
Attachments
Ka-Bar Union Doghead Locking Swing Guard Hunter SG Close-up.jpg
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
wazu013 wrote: Ralph, If you look on the swing guard next to the patent number you'll see the letters CS stamped on it.
wazu, thank you for pointing that out! Attaching a close-up view for posterity.
::tu::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Anyone know if this Ka-Bar folding hunter was made by Canal Street? I can't seem to find any information on this 0983 number stamped on the pile side of the mail blade. Could it mean it was made in September 1983 or is it a pattern number? ::shrug::
Attachments
KabarDogsHead1.jpg
KabarDogsHead2.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

@ea42
If I was a betting man I'd say no. but we have a res.expert ! ::hmm::
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for your reply, Airborne, that's what I'm hoping for. ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Definitely not Canal Street. Maybe Queen? I know they had a similar pattern to that but not sure if they ever did the grooved pulls. ::hmm::
I'm 95% sure it's Queen though.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

ea42 wrote:Definitely not Canal Street. Maybe Queen? I know they had a similar pattern to that but not sure if they ever did the grooved pulls. ::hmm::
I'm 95% sure it's Queen though.

Eric
Thank you, Sir. ::handshake::

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

ea42 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 am Yep, that was made by Canal Street. We made the smaller pinch lockback and that larger squeeze lockback for them as well as a drop point sheath knife, a barlow, a trapper, and a single blade trapper. All had the copper bolsters. As far as I know Canal Street was the exclusive builder of that Coppersmith line.

Eric
Hey Eric, What year were these made? I just bought a Barlow, hasn’t arrived yet, but I am curious about the year of production on these Coppersmith knives.
Thanks
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Thanks for all the good info in this post. Here are 3 of the 4 kabars mentioned earlier. Don't have the elephant toe. Wish I did.
Attachments
cs 1.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Got this Barlow Coppersmith in today. Bought it right here on AAPK from Brent at LuvStag. I had been outbid on one just the day before he posted this one for sale in his store. I couldn’t move fast enough to get this one. I love the mirror polished backsprings. That’s a feature that really sets a knife off for me.
Attachments
IMG_2379.jpeg
IMG_2382.jpeg
IMG_2383.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Well, so we have a complete set...here's the elephant toe.
Attachments
h8mmdzj.jpg
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

I like the shiny handle though
JeffHughes

Post by JeffHughes »

ea42 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 am Yep, that was made by Canal Street. We made the smaller pinch lockback and that larger squeeze lockback for them as well as a drop point sheath knife, a barlow, a trapper, and a single blade trapper. All had the copper bolsters. As far as I know Canal Street was the exclusive builder of that Coppersmith line.

Eric
I have the fixed blade without the dog head shield. Was this made by Canal Street Cutlery too?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jeff if it's one like this it was made by Canal Street:
Kabar Drop Point.jpg

Eric
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I just picked up two Coppersmiths - the small "pinch" lockback and the fixed blade.

Does anyone know the steel type used on these?

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”