Shrade Evolution

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
KAW

Shrade Evolution

Post by KAW »

I had posted this over on the Schrade Legacy Forum, feel it is justified to post here too....

Today I just received what is no doubt the best Schrade Cut Co. knife in my collection & I just had to post it or I'll never sleep tonight....
that' s how excited I am!!! ::ds::
I also found this exact model listed in the 1926 catalog, but this knife looks like it could have been made yesterday.... which also got me thinkin'.... ever thought of comparing the earliest & the latest generation of a pattern?

This acquisition is a 4" Texas Pattern Premium Stockman № 8814G with a Green Pearl celluloid handle. By chance about a month ago, I happen to pick up a Schrade descendant in the form of a Canal Street Cutlery 4" Stockman with a "Mica Pearl" handle made in 2013, Serial № 034. The second set of photos show the two side−by−side.... but some 80+ years apart....

Does anyone else have a similar pair of old & new?

'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Re: Shrade Evolution

Post by KAW »

Here's the second set....

'til later....
Ken

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Welcome to aapk KAW. ::handshake::
Real beauties there, thanks for sharing. ::nod::
Lots of Schrade collectors here. My favorite of the two is the gold swirl, gorgeous colors.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

KAW,

Welcome to AAPK! Nice pair of knives there. I love the Schrades, but, I also love the Canal Street knives.

Glad to have you aboard the Site.

I also sent you a PM (private Message)

Tom
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Your old folding "Ruler" also requires mentioning. Neat ::nod::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice pair of knives, KAW. It is interesting to see how close the old knife and the new one are to being exactly the same pattern. And I like that brass hinged folding ruler, too!
Mel
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Hi, KAW; nice knives; I am a bit of a Schrade guy myself. Your knife is a 8803P (smoked pearl celluloid), 8803G (green pearl celluloid) or 8803AC (assorted celluloid), not a 8813P. I can't say from the pictures which color it would be. The knife has been cleaned/buffed, but still a real beauty. The bolsters are different on the two patterns. Your bolsters are the more pocket-friendly rounded design, and are threaded, as well, a nice touch. The bolsters on the Canal Street are quite different yet. Also very nice. Two different aesthetics over a long time frame, both beautiful. Thanks for showing two great knives! ::tu::
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks for the welcome Old Folder.... & yes, I also collect folding rules made by Connecticut firms such as Chapin, Stephens, Stanley & Upson Nut.

Tom, thanks also for your welcome. Checked for your PM, but it didn't come thru. When I clicked on the PM link, I get:
View messages: Inbox

Folder is 0% full (0 out of 100 messages stored)
New PM

No messages
::shrug::

Dinadan, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Maybe a new thread should be started pairing up knives with other tools? ::hmm::

tongueriver, I went back to the catalog. The 8803 is stated to be offered only in Stag Bone or Mother of Pearl handles.
The 8814 is stated to come in the various celluloid handles. Altho really can't tell by the photos, mine does have a green hue to the color,
so it seems to match the 8814G.
I felt it would be an interesting comparison to put two knives made nearly 80 years apart next to each other made by related companies.

See ads below....
10069 10057
'til later....
Ken

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

KAW - regarding the point of whether your knife is an 8803 versus 8814, you may want to consider the possibility that in other years than 1926, your catalog year, the 8803 may have been offered with different handle materials. I am not knowledgeable enough about Schrade to have an opinion on that matter.

And welcome to the forum!
Mel
ea42

Post by ea42 »

KAW, I think Tongueriver's right with the model 8803, although the catalog states those handles Schrade did accept orders for other variations from retailers as long as a minimum was met, and back then I've heard the minimum was quite small, around 50 knives. The 8814 shares the same blades but it had squared bolsters as opposed to the rounded bolsters on the 8803, which makes it a completely different pattern. Beautiful knives and great comparison!

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Another 8803. In the Schrade Walden years, this pattern had become the 879.
8803markopen.jpg
8803pileopen.jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

I stand corrected! :oops: I totally overlooked the shape of the bolsters.
Silly me to question the experts that are so in tune to such details.
I humbly thank ye all for sharing your great wisdom.... (can't find the "humble" emoji to add here....)
'til later....
Ken

ea42

Post by ea42 »

KAW, just keep showing pics of your great collection and I'm a happy camper, any advice I can give is a pleasure.

Eric
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks for the encouragement Eric.... I have some NY Knife Co related knives I would like to share but really don't see a forum for that.
Can start a thread, just not sure which forum to do it in.... any suggestions?....
'til later....
Ken

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

KAW wrote:Thanks for the encouragement Eric.... I have some NY Knife Co related knives I would like to share but really don't see a forum for that.
Can start a thread, just not sure which forum to do it in.... any suggestions?....
I'd suggest Knife Lore would be appropriate for that NYK thread.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”