CSC D'Holder - Buffalo Horn Bowie Hunter

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

CSC D'Holder - Buffalo Horn Bowie Hunter

Post by Schradenut »

I have had a penchant for Canal Street knives for some time now, and have been fortunate enough to acquire a few very nice folders. Today though i lashed out and brought myself a Buffalo Horn Bowie.
It was designed by Anton D'Holder, and has a Sandvik 19C27 full tang blade. It is rather unique in that the blade and bolsters were made from the one slab of steel. The smooth Buffalo Horn slabs really finish this lovely knife off. The finish brings out the incredibly good texture of the horn.
If this is the only one i ever own, then i can live with that, as this is one super Bowie.
The knife itself is quite heavy, weighing in at 9 1/2oz, and is 9 1/4" OAL.
Seeing the beauty of this knife makes you understand why A. D'Holder is such an acclaimed name in the Cutlery business.
(Thanks to my mate Doug in Spokane for sending me the pics of this gem. It will be with me in a few weeks-Customs permitting).
Tony.
Attachments
CANAL STREET CUTLERY D'HOLDER BOWIE HUNTER (1).jpg
CANAL STREET CUTLERY D'HOLDER BOWIE HUNTER (2).jpg
CANAL STREET CUTLERY D'HOLDER BOWIE HUNTER (4).jpg
RalphAlsip

Re: CSC D'Holder - Buffalo Horn Bowie Hunter

Post by RalphAlsip »

Spectacular knife! Well made from outstanding materials. It should work out to be a good investment,too. Congratulations ::tu::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Beautiful example of Canal Street quality. Congratulations on owning it. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

That is beautiful! !
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
DRS

Post by DRS »

That is one beautiful piece of cutlery there. ::drool::

You should be proud of that one. ::tear::

Donald ::handshake::
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Very nice...indeed a centerpiece of any Canal Street Collection.

Tom
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Many thanks gentleman, for your kind words.
I am saddened to see the demise of Canal Street, as they produced some magnificent knives. My only regret is that i didn't buy more as they appealed to me. Still there are still some bargains to be had.
One good thing about the closure of Canal Street, is that Wally went out on his own terms, not like Schrade, who had the Storm Troopers arrive on their door one dark and gloomy morning. He destroyed everything, so there will be no China Made Canal Street Cutlery knives flooding the market. "What there is, is what there is". ::teary_eyes::
Tony.

("The two hardest things in life are success and failure")
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I think if I saw a made in China Canal Street knife my heart would simply break.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great knife Tony! You are correct. You will not see a made in china canal street.
Jay
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

It's D' Alton Holder : )
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Lucky you!! She's a beauty!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I just ran across this thread about Canal Street. I did an epilogue in Knife Mag this month regarding this sad event. I am attaching some pics which between my old Mavica, the lighting and my limited ability are not great. However it does show some of the examples of the beautiful quality product canal turned out, There closing ended a 164 year american cutlery history in the Hudson valley. The 2 pics with the labels are the same it is a display of a complete set of the knives they produced in 2005 all the same number . There are other similar sets for the following years in the storage area of the case, the sheep horn display was an issue for the NRA 2007. there is a general display with rows of there various issues. I have a separate group for pearls. The other display with the pics is another couple of special issues . One pic has a pic of a Schrade watch and a Canal street watch on which the lens on top pops open and becomes a magnifying glass used while on the wrist with a button for a light to illuminate the item being viewed, They ordered them one year to give as Christmas gifts to employees and friends they were only ordered once because Case had a similar watch made and threatened to sue them. I have a couple. One still in the box stored like the complete early same numbered sets for the early years. It is a shame I am out of room in the museum I could fill several more large areas and it is a shame to have this all not on public display. I am hoping to have some specialty displays this year which will be rotated. Each of these knives deserves its own thread because group pics do not do them justice. it really is just to much for one person. LT PS if some one wants a closeup of a particular pattern or some special information I will try to get to it. I hope these pics as bad as they are bring some enjoyment to those with an interest in this study. PPS I just added a few more pics trying to show some of the knives in the large display a little bit better that is about all it is a little bit better.
Attachments
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-031S.JPG
MVC-032S.JPG
MVC-033S.JPG
MVC-034S.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is amazing display LT! ::drool::
You seem to have more Canal Street knives than I have seen anywhere.
I do hope you can get those on display in the museum, even if just for a limited time.
I really feel CSC put out the finest production slip joint knives made in the last 10 years!

Glad to see you posting again LT! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That is a very impressive collection LT. I also hope you can display them in the museum. They are an important part of the history you have done so much too preserve.
Jay
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Awesome display LT. I would love to see all those beautiful CS knives...in person.
Tony. ::tu::
Djsteve

Post by Djsteve »

New to the site. Hate to immediately revive an old post, but I purchased a Canal Street Cutlery D'Holder buffalo horn bowie like the one mentioned above several years ago. It has been stored in a temp and humidity controlled enclosure and has the original box and packing. I've been making room for a few new pieces and have been trying to sell it, I've had it priced at far below what I paid online several times with not a single interested party. Ideas on the best place to list this item for sale?
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

You can state here what you would be willing to sell it for!
Djsteve

Post by Djsteve »

IMG_20130208_151652_683.jpg
$200 firm.
Canal Street Item # 179923
D' Holder Buffalo Horn Bowie
Original box and packaging
Only been used for temp and humidity controlled display.
Djsteve

Post by Djsteve »

IMG_20130208_151817_844.jpg
#357 in series.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”