Latest Canal Street Additions

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
KAW

Re: Latest Canal Street Additions

Post by KAW »

I apologize for the procrastination... but here are a few I have "squirreled" away during this past winter...

I already pick up a CSCo-op pinchback with Chestnut handles... but @ 5" this "Sqeeze" lock is really impressive...
11868 11867

...and my favorite (partly due to the green bone) & first of the Cannilter pattern for me to own... ::groove::

...and finally getting around to posting my Red Trout Boy's knife in the Green bone and thereby having all five posted here on this thread.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Each is a fine looking knife, but that Cannilter is gorgeous.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Nice collection. I like all of them especially the green bone on that Red Trout. I like the red abalone too. And... ah shoot, I like them all ::tu::
Mike
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Garry & Mike. :D
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

I really do like the looks of their mica pearl handles... so when this doctor's knife was offered, I just had to pick it up...

so here's my latest addition with the very first CSC knife I acquired... a stockman with the same kind of handle...
'til later....
Ken

ea42

Post by ea42 »

Nice looking duo Ken! That material definitely looks beautiful all polished up. I think the white buffalo was the best looking of all of them.

Eric
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely Doctor KAW. Looks good with its cuz as well. ::tu::
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Eric... btw, what exactly is "white buffalo mica pearl" comprised of anyway?

Thanks Floyd... Yeah... while the Doc knife makes for a good conversation piece... its probably not considered as practical as a stockman...
'til later....
Ken

ea42

Post by ea42 »

KAW wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:56 am Thanks Eric... btw, what exactly is "white buffalo mica pearl" comprised of anyway?

Thanks Floyd... Yeah... while the Doc knife makes for a good conversation piece... its probably not considered as practical as a stockman...
Ken that was a resin based handle material made by Michael Prater at Painted Pony Designs. I think he still makes it. From what I understand he uses mica pearl powders for the colors.

Eric
KAW

Post by KAW »

ea42 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:06 pm
KAW wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:56 am Thanks Eric... btw, what exactly is "white buffalo mica pearl" comprised of anyway?
Ken that was a resin based handle material made by Michael Prater at Painted Pony Designs. I think he still makes it. From what I understand he uses mica pearl powders for the colors.

Eric
That's interesting because I worked for a mica based pigment factory in Peekskill, NY for nearly two decades. It started off as a private company named Mearl Corp. After the usual chain of bigger fish eating up the smaller ones... it is now owned by B.A.S.F. (who were the ones that told me they no longer need my services). Anyway, my point is... it's quite possible he gets the mica pearl from there as they are one of only a handful of companies that produce such a product (& only two are in the USA, the rest are in China)...
'til later....
Ken

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Bump for this and show my Red Stag
Attachments
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Beautiful !
I think the CSC Red Stag knives are the most attractive of all the folding knives that Canal Street Cutlery made.
They make a terrific display. Wish i had bought one at the time.
kj
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Wow ::tu:: ::tu::
Mike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gary, your CS are superb.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thanks
KJ ,Mike & Garry ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Nice Gary, very nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::

Nuff said ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Received this Ring turn today from Roland ,beautiful piece of Cutlery. It opens and shut very smooth ,the blades line up perfectly , are tight and no wobble. Very well built.
Attachments
4653F7A8-F92B-46F6-A49C-415461B240E9.jpeg
9C324B77-2162-48C6-9007-09AC136E4092.jpeg
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Very nice. Always have thought those were very unique, and well done.
-Tim
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

::tu::
Mike
KAW

Post by KAW »

Very cool Ripster!!! 8) ::tu:: One of those ring knives has been on my list now for some time...

... but I did check off the list another type... the English Barlow with neat red, white & blue Kirinite handles thanks to a fellow AAPK member, Coreysbu...
12053 12054 12052

...also was lucky enough to pick up this Hawbaker Special. According to Rich Langston, whom I bought the knife from, it is a prototype. Now I know the Hawbaker Special went into production, but I don't know if it was offered with the red jigged bone handles & I haven't seen any production knives with embossed bolsters. I did forget to ask him what year was it made... would be nice to know.
12057 12055 12056

He also included this nice wood presentation case, altho it is not for the Hawkbaker as the insert clearly shows it was for some kind of three bladed knife like a whittler of some sort. Does anyone know what knife was offerd with this case?
'til later....
Ken

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Hey Kaw
The shape of the cutout in the display box looks like it might have been for a cannitler.
canitler1.JPG
Mike
ea42

Post by ea42 »

KAW wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:34 pm Very cool Ripster!!! 8) ::tu:: One of those ring knives has been on my list now for some time...

... but I did check off the list another type... the English Barlow with neat red, white & blue Kirinite handles thanks to a fellow AAPK member, Coreysbu...
12053 12054 12052

...also was lucky enough to pick up this Hawbaker Special. According to Rich Langston, whom I bought the knife from, it is a prototype. Now I know the Hawbaker Special went into production, but I don't know if it was offered with the red jigged bone handles & I haven't seen any production knives with embossed bolsters. I did forget to ask him what year was it made... would be nice to know.
12057 12055 12056

He also included this nice wood presentation case, altho it is not for the Hawkbaker as the insert clearly shows it was for some kind of three bladed knife like a whittler of some sort. Does anyone know what knife was offerd with this case?

The embossed hawbakers were made for a special set of seven display knives. I don't recall how many sets were made but normally they were done on lots of around 25. They were commissioned by Red Hill Cutlery in 2009. The red bone knives were part of the production runs.

canal-street-cutlery-hawbaker-special_1_17101519717b8439c07cacd590a3f191.jpg
canal-street-cutlery-hawbaker-special_1_17101519717b8439c07cacd590a3f191.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
canal-street-cutlery-hawbaker-special_1_6f0d8f7e8646066b47bbe8c93e1e44b5.jpg

The display case was made for a pearl three blade equal end that was a collaboration knife between Queen and Canal Street. I think it was called the President series or something akin to that. It marked the beginning of their relationship when Canal Street first started up, buying Queen parts to make their knives until their own designs were put into production.

Nice acquisitions!! ::tu::

Eric
KAW

Post by KAW »

Eric... as always... you provide a wealth of information that is a real asset to this board. Thank you for sharing.
Mike... Never even considered a Cannitler... and I happen to have one to see if it would fit... spear blade is a bit fatter than the insert, but it can be made to fit. Does make for a nice way to display the knife... especially since it may be quite some time (if ever) before I can get an original one Eric described.
'til later....
Ken

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”