American Chestnut Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
313 Mike

Re: American Chestnut Knives

Post by 313 Mike »

Dang that copper bolstered Barlow is handsome! What is the steel on those blades? That sure would age nicely with carbon steeled blades. Any reason why CS doesn't use carbon steel? In keeping in line with the Schrade tradition and the classic look of many of their patterns it sure would seem to make good sense...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I picked up a couple of Canal Street knives with the Reclaimed American Chestnut handles at the Voyles Show in Pigeon Forge, Tn. this weekend. One is a pinch lockback and the other is a Catskill Hunter made for the NRA.
Attachments
NRA Catskills Hunter
NRA Catskills Hunter
Pinch Lockbback
Pinch Lockbback
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Looks like you had a good show Phil! ::tu::
Roger
bembry

Post by bembry »

I picked up a Canal Street Chestnut Barlow about a year and a half ago--beautiful knife! I'll find and post some pictures...
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

Anyone know the final production numbers of the Chestnut for each pattern?

I still have a pinch lock.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”