Been Tinkering with New Covers

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
ea42

Been Tinkering with New Covers

Post by ea42 »

Hi folks!

Got a few cover combinations I wanted to show you that a did on a few of our present patterns.

The yellow and black (I like to call it the bumblebee :D ) is canvas micarta with a thin spacer of ivory G10. The two pinches have our emblem engraved into the blade pin (this was difficult!), while the picture with the pinch and trapper have the plain rivet. These are presently being put into production, first with the pinch. Not sure if it'll have that etching though.

The blue ones are linerless knives, made with blue/black carbon fiber covers. The trapper has a blue G10 center scale as well. They are VERY light and strong, the single blade jack is pracrically un-noticeable in pocket. Not sure if these are going into production, but I think there's a good chance.

Enjoy!

Eric
Attachments
Canal Street Bumblebees.jpg
Canal Street Bumblebees 4.jpg
Canal Street Bumblebees 3.jpg
Canal Street Bumblebees 5.jpg
Canal Street Ultralights 4.jpg
Canal Street Ultralights.jpg
Canal Street Ultralights 2.jpg
Canal Street Ultralights 3.jpg
MITCH RAPP

Re: Been Tinkering with New Covers

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Bumblebee, I Like It! ::tu:: I've found Micarta canvas makes a very good handle material for everyday use work knives. I like the single blade in your second photo with lighter handle color. ::tu::
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
wlf

Post by wlf »

I like the stamped pins Eric and your passion.That bumblebee is very pleasant to the eyes,and those handle types seem quite popular with customs.I hope you make a lot knives,and money,it comes in handy down here. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
junebug

Post by junebug »

very cool bro!!!....i would tote any of em ::nod:: ::tu::
great work!!!

i like the name : RUMBLEBEE,...... gives bubmblebee a lil toughness...lolol :mrgreen: 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Eric you know I love Canal Street through and through, but I have to say those don't get my motor running. Guess I"m more of a traditional guy down deep.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Love.......love the blue linerless ones! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I posted a picture of the top knife in the Shot Show 2015 thread here in Canal Street. Mine is the Protoype that Wally had at the show.

Believe me that when Eric says this baby is light, it is truely unbelievable how light it is compared to the original Pinch Lock Back.

I believe Wally calls this the Pinch Air....LOL

As far as the Blue Cabon Fiber, not really a fan of the looks of that one, however, I will buy one to keep my collection complete!

Thanks for posting Eric.

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

It's a pleasure Tom! "Air" is a strange name for a knife, isn't it? I like Josh's Rumblebee, might have to run that by Wally ::tu:: ::nod::

Eric
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'm with Phil on my part,but as I said, this is trending and I think it will help sales.

Carmel butterscotch?? sweet eh.. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
junebug

Post by junebug »

ea42 wrote:It's a pleasure Tom! "Air" is a strange name for a knife, isn't it? I like Josh's Rumblebee, might have to run that by Wally ::tu:: ::nod::

Eric
::tu:: 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Eric,

I am loving that single blade Jack....although not a fan of the Carbon Fiber covers, you know I will just have to have one of those to add to my small Canal Street Family of blades....LOL

Tell Wally I will be coming by in a few weeks and I will need to buy one.....

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Sounds good Tom, it'll likely take a few weeks for new blades to be ready, got nothing for the jack in the shop right now. Might see if I can wrangle up some kind of wood shadow pattern by then as well, might have some lignum vitae or ebony in the back room.

Eric
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Good looking knives! What are the black specks on the handles of the pinch locks?
Any chance they will come out in paper micarta with the same colors? They look really nice, good color combination but won't the linen micarta get dirty with normal use? I have not had much luck cleaning linen micarta in the past.

I do like the carbon fiber jack! That is sweet! That has definite possibilities for my pocket! ::drool::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Eric,

You know I am not shy....I'd buy just about anything you guys come up with in the Pinch, Barlow and Jack (Boys knife) patterns.

Tom

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”